Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,I have been trying to control to IBS-D with diet and Calcium supplements for the past 3 weeks and havent had much luck. I still ahev to go 4-5 times a day , and have been afraid to leave home. Am getting desperate and am thinking of taking some anti-D medications. How much Immodium should I start on? I dont want to end up constipated from the immodium.thnaksZouka

·
Registered
247 Posts
Take the smallest dosage that works for you. Since you don't know what that dosage is. You'll have to experiment. I would try taking 1 immodium. If it is too much, you can break it in half the next time. Some days I can get away with just half a pill. I would not personally go out to dinner with taking just half, but that is just me. Everyone is different.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi i'm new to this board. I take one Immodium every day. i can't go without it. I just don't know if it is healthy. but i figure whatever works.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So far as I know, Immodium can't really harm you, (except if you take enough to constipate yourself). There aren't any long term side effects or damage from taking it daily, at least none I've ever heard of or been told by any doctor. Like I said the only cautionary is that it can constipate you, which can be very painful.I would take one, or half of one, whatever...and give yourself a 1/2 hour...if you don't feel better, take one more. Personally, I take 2 (as a dosage whenever I take it, but I don't really get constipated off it.) The box says not to exceed 4 in one day, as that would probably clog most people up. <I am referring to the white pills, Immodium Advanced. I know there are small green ones, and chewable ones, etc...I don't know the dosage for those.>

·
Registered
482 Posts
i would advise you to go to your doctor have you been diagnoised? immodium isnt meant to cause harm but they dont know... goto your doctor there maybe something else that can help you.... we arent qualified to tell you meds or dosages we can tell you what we take but you should get some advice from a professional

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi guys,yea, I went ot the doctor, he jsut prescribed immodium and said I shoudl take it....at that point I was feeling so miserable I didnt ask him how mcuh etc!...I am have a colonoscopy etc next sat to rule out Crohs , so will hopefully talk to him then....thnaks for writing back

·
Registered
5 Posts
wow thanks everyone for all your help. i had went to 2 different dr.s. they both said that it was ibs but that they could give me nothing for it. thats why i don't bother with the dr.s anymore. plus i felt weird talking to them about it. at one point the one gave me something to relax my stomach when i got really bad pains. they dissolved in my mouth. i don't even know if they really helped. is it normal to get cold sweats once and a while. i haven't since i started taking the immodium. but i use to get them once a week. it was the worst. i don't know much about this stuff so sorry for all the questions. i was told that i suffer from anxity and depression. i guess that adds to it right?? right now i am on wellbutrin. i was on paxil but i was gaining weight. thanks everyone for the help. its nice to know how many people there are with the same problem.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My gastro recommended Immodium, as often as I needed it.I agree with other posts here, start with a low dosage to determine what you can handle. I may be a rare exception but 2 tablets of Immodium leaves me constipated. I can only take 1.I get cold sweats during bad attacks. I think it is in reaction to the pain. It drives my husband crazy because I will be under the covers in bed with two fans blowing on me and windows open. Carly

1 - 12 of 12 Posts