Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my doc prescribed me dicyclomin 10 mg capsules to take by mouth before every meal and at bed time, what does this medicine do?? has anyone else every taken this? what is it like? did it help? he also told me to eat fiber one cereal, and take gas x, or anything with sycomen or some s word in it. thanks for everything. God Bless

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
It relieves muscle spasms in the GI tract by blocking the activity of a certain natural substance in the body...That's how it's supposed to work.I think that's the generic for Bentyl, and a lot of people have taken it. It's important to take it 30 minutes before meals so the medicine is in your system and has time to "start working" before you load up on food. I found it wasn't as effective if I took it with my food, but when I took it 30 minutes-1 hour before, it did work better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
the dicyclomine make my stomach stop spazing. For me it has worked well. I just take it whenever I'm having symptoms. fiber pills however have been a life saver for me...It's the only thing that seems to get me regular (as regular as I could hope for anyways lol)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Years ago I used to take Lomotil whenever I had a flare up.My doc said Dicyclomine was better because it won't constipate you. It's supposed to help with the spasms, but honestly I can't see much of a difference. Maybe a little. My doc also said to take Citrucel. Unlike other fiber supplements, this is a desirable soluble fiber which helps the bowel relax and produces a gel that helps slide the stool out.Well, I have IBS-D, and after I took Citrucel, my stool seemed much harder. Afraid of IBS-C, I stopped. But today I read a great piece on the subject & have gone back to taking it.I'm new here, so in case you haven't heard about this site, definitely check it out. It's ...com.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts