Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been brought up before.... But it doesn't seem to get many hits over in the working and careers section, so I hope it's OK to discuss this here.Anyway..... I've had bad experiences in the past with telling my former bosses about my IBS-D. Last month I started a new job. My dilemma..... to tell them about my IBS-D, or not.....I have lost a lot of jobs because of my IBS-D, so I am reluctant to tell my new boss. However, if they should try to fire me due to my IBS, I wonder if I would have a leg to stand on? Could that be considered discrimination if an employer lets you go due to your IBS? I am trying very hard to work, but the IBS-D gets in the way, and quite often I am not even able to make it to work in the morning because of the IBS-D being so bad.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Anyone....? No.....??? Hmmmm.....Well, my current situation at work is not good. Not only has my boss told me she will not grant me any time off from work in order to get any tests done that my doctor may order..... but yesterday my boss actually got a bit too personal in regards to what I do on my scheduled days off.... I do regret now that I told her I was having a colonoscopy done, but when she asked me if I wanted to pick up some extra days and work a couple of my days off I had to tell her I had procedures scheduled for those days..... Yesterday she called me at home to see how I was doing (I ended up at Urgent Care earlier this week, I have the flu, also my blood pressure over 200, doctor has me off work due to fever and being sick). My boss actually started to grill me about my colonoscopy and got snarky with me for canceling it (I had to cancel due to having the flu and a fever, they won't do a colonoscopy if you are ill). So now, my boss has gone way over the line, what I do on my scheduled days off is none of her business, and I now regretting being honest with her and informing her of my procedure. Anyway, I guess I am at a loss as to how to deal with a boss who thinks that being sick or having a BP reading of over 200 is no excuse for not working (the ER doctor sent me home), and apparently I will not be able to get time off for my procedures (colonoscopy and a CT scan). And now my boss is trying to get information out of me because she "suspects" there is something else other than the flu going on with me...... I do not feel as tho I should be forced to tell anyone at work about my medical condition tho.I should think the the notes from my doctor that I have provided my employer should be quite enough.I feel as tho she is trying to get rid of me now.... at one point the Human Resources person at work actually asked me to provide them with some of my medical records (major violation of my HIPAA rights). Oh well. Thanks for listening anyway!

·
Registered
976 Posts
EponaI totaly agree with you, your boss has no right to know information from your medical records, and I would not have thought that they can stop you having time off for medical proceedures. I know holding down a job when you have ibs is really hard. Over the last 3 years when i was working in my last job I had so much time off, it wasnt just days , it was weeks and months at a time, because of the bad ibs Diarrhoea. My boss used to say lets hope you will be here more and not have so much time off sick. I havnt worked since february this year as i cant settle the ibs-D down. I would seek some legal advice as to where you stand with work.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks cherrypie. I am working very closely with my doctor thru all this, and I called the State Dept. of Labor too. My boss keeps telling me I need to be there and that I am being unrepsonsible, she told me just because I was in the ER was no reason to not come back to work. She is being really nasty and my work environment has become very hostile now..... one of my co-workers won't say Hi to me or talk to me..... I am hoping I can find another job very soon....

·
Registered
976 Posts
Good luck with finding a new job, Unfortunately where ever you work if your ibs is bad then i think being off work when it flares up is going to be a problem, employers just dont understand unless they have it also. What type of ibs do you have. ? I have diarrhoea with urgency, bloating, wind, and pains in the stomach, I also suffer with anxiety and depression because of the ibs-d.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi there cherrypie..... I agree, most (all) employers do not understand about IBS at all. I can't tell you how many times I've been ripped apart by employers who try to tell me I am unresponsible, etc. If only they could go thru what I have to go thru (and all of us other IBS sufferers).I have IBS-D. I do need to go in for more testing tho, my symptoms have worsened over the last year and there are many days (at least a few times a week, if not more) where I am unable to even get ready for work and get out of my own bathroom. I have family members who have colitis, and a nephew who had to have his colon removed due to ulcerative colitis, so my doctor wants me to have another colonoscopy.... we have one scheduled in a couple weeks for me.But, my IBS-D is so out on control that, quite often, if I am not within about 20 feet of a bathroom it is not a good outcome. Makes getting to work (and being able to work, once I am there), extremely difficult, and many times impossible. It is also very frustrating for me because I have so many hobbies I love to get out and do (all outdoors) and the IBS-D has really interfered with that as well.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I told my boss and luckily for me she is really understanding. I work for the NHS in the UK. The same organisation that is trying to find out what is wrong for me.So unless they want to lose a highly trained member of staff it is in their best interests to get me sorted out and get to the bottom of my symptoms.The NHS has long waiting lists though and it took me 3 months just to be referred for my first gastro appt....tests and follow up generally take 3 months at a time.

·
Registered
976 Posts
EponaYou sound just like i am, I hate going out just incase i need the loo and its usualy with great urgency, so have to be very close to the toilet. People just dont understand and the doctors dont either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts