Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many people here have had great success with some sort of remedy, only to find that it didn't work in the long run? I tried Probiotica which worked great for a month, then wham! Back to my normal D. Then tried calcium which worked for about 2 weeks, and now I'm on Remeron. It has reduced my D about 80% or so, but I'm noticing that it seems to be working less and less. I'm so frustrated! I feel like my body WANTS me to have D, and it will always find a way around whatever remedy I try! I'm ready to go back to my doctor and ask him about an antispasmodic such as Bentyl or Robinul, but it seems like people haven't had much success with those, either.

·
Registered
442 Posts
HiI tried many thing. They didn't work well.The only thing that worked was garlic pills you can find at the health store. I was free of ALL symptom for 1 to 2 months then ..bang.. back again but WITHOUT the D, urgency, explosive stool, fuzzy brain, itchy scalp, itchy skin.What is left? Pain, and gas and so bloating.I'm like this since then beating the spasm....-------------

·
Registered
442 Posts
HiI tried many thing. They didn't work well.The only thing that worked was garlic pills you can find at the health store. I was free of ALL symptom for 1 to 2 months then ..bang.. back again but WITHOUT the D, urgency, explosive stool, fuzzy brain, itchy scalp, itchy skin.What is left? Pain, and gas and so bloating.I'm like this since then beating the spasm....-------------

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
1) IBS typically waxes and wanes.NOTHING WILL CURE IT, but you may find that X, Y or Z contol some % of the symptoms some % of the time.2) It is common for people to need more than 1 thing at a time to get good control X is 50% better Y is 20% better and Z is 15% better when alone but XY AND Z may give someone control almost all of the time.The most important thing, I think, is to give things a chance to go through a few cycles of flare ups to determine what works well for you MOST of the time.If you stop something the first time you flare up you may be missing things that help more often than they do not.I have very good control 95-99% of the time, but I still have a spasm once in a while I have to take an antispasmodic for.3) NOT ALL IBS PAIN IS FROM SPASMS. This may be why for some people they work GREAT and for other people they do diddly over squat. You won't know which you are until you try it.4) You don't typically see people here who got really good results with the first thing the doctor gave them (as those people typically do not go to support bb's after all) so the experiences here can be biased to those that the standard treatments do not work really well for.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
1) IBS typically waxes and wanes.NOTHING WILL CURE IT, but you may find that X, Y or Z contol some % of the symptoms some % of the time.2) It is common for people to need more than 1 thing at a time to get good control X is 50% better Y is 20% better and Z is 15% better when alone but XY AND Z may give someone control almost all of the time.The most important thing, I think, is to give things a chance to go through a few cycles of flare ups to determine what works well for you MOST of the time.If you stop something the first time you flare up you may be missing things that help more often than they do not.I have very good control 95-99% of the time, but I still have a spasm once in a while I have to take an antispasmodic for.3) NOT ALL IBS PAIN IS FROM SPASMS. This may be why for some people they work GREAT and for other people they do diddly over squat. You won't know which you are until you try it.4) You don't typically see people here who got really good results with the first thing the doctor gave them (as those people typically do not go to support bb's after all) so the experiences here can be biased to those that the standard treatments do not work really well for.K.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Kmottus,I agree, everything I have tried that has worked for awhile and then the same old problem comes back. So far I've tried Acupuncture, Zelmac, and am currently enrolled in a Dexloxiglumide trial. The "Dex" has been the most effective so far, but I'm tired of looking for a magic pill. Maybe if we get enough of these things available we can switch from time to time. One thing the study has taught me is that after a full month with Nothing, I seemed somewhat better than when I was taking OTC's and herbal teas etc. Maybe some of this stuff is just irritating as the IBS instead of relieving it. What do you think?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Kmottus,I agree, everything I have tried that has worked for awhile and then the same old problem comes back. So far I've tried Acupuncture, Zelmac, and am currently enrolled in a Dexloxiglumide trial. The "Dex" has been the most effective so far, but I'm tired of looking for a magic pill. Maybe if we get enough of these things available we can switch from time to time. One thing the study has taught me is that after a full month with Nothing, I seemed somewhat better than when I was taking OTC's and herbal teas etc. Maybe some of this stuff is just irritating as the IBS instead of relieving it. What do you think?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Many herbal teas and many drugs have digestive side effects so somethings can be more bothersome than helpful. And that varies substantially from one person to the next and from time to time.Something that tends to loosen the stool may be very good when you are constipated and be a big problem when you have diarrhea.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Many herbal teas and many drugs have digestive side effects so somethings can be more bothersome than helpful. And that varies substantially from one person to the next and from time to time.Something that tends to loosen the stool may be very good when you are constipated and be a big problem when you have diarrhea.K.

·
Registered
190 Posts
In all honesty I haven't found anything that 'cures' my IBS-D. I've tried just about everything over the years and just when I think I've got the IBS beat it comes back again. For the last few years I've stayed with Bentyl (taken as needed) and Immodium to stop the D when it gets really bad. I figure I'll have this condition till the day I die so I have just learned to live my life around it. Bob

·
Registered
190 Posts
In all honesty I haven't found anything that 'cures' my IBS-D. I've tried just about everything over the years and just when I think I've got the IBS beat it comes back again. For the last few years I've stayed with Bentyl (taken as needed) and Immodium to stop the D when it gets really bad. I figure I'll have this condition till the day I die so I have just learned to live my life around it. Bob

·
Registered
256 Posts
Closest thing to a "cure" is Lotronex. I have 95% symptom-free days on it and literally no side effects. Everything else is a leaky Band-aid.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Closest thing to a "cure" is Lotronex. I have 95% symptom-free days on it and literally no side effects. Everything else is a leaky Band-aid.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
I am still doing 85 percent better from severe IBS using Hypnotherapy.I kknow in the past what your talking about Pdb, prozac quit working, bentyl quit working and some and almost all the others. Valium was one that helped and Levsin seemed to work better then bentyl for me.I believe the anti depressants can quite working because they can desensitize the receptors after a while.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
I am still doing 85 percent better from severe IBS using Hypnotherapy.I kknow in the past what your talking about Pdb, prozac quit working, bentyl quit working and some and almost all the others. Valium was one that helped and Levsin seemed to work better then bentyl for me.I believe the anti depressants can quite working because they can desensitize the receptors after a while.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts