Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
33,934 Posts
1) IBS typically waxes and wanes.NOTHING WILL CURE IT, but you may find that X, Y or Z contol some % of the symptoms some % of the time.2) It is common for people to need more than 1 thing at a time to get good control X is 50% better Y is 20% better and Z is 15% better when alone but XY AND Z may give someone control almost all of the time.The most important thing, I think, is to give things a chance to go through a few cycles of flare ups to determine what works well for you MOST of the time.If you stop something the first time you flare up you may be missing things that help more often than they do not.I have very good control 95-99% of the time, but I still have a spasm once in a while I have to take an antispasmodic for.3) NOT ALL IBS PAIN IS FROM SPASMS. This may be why for some people they work GREAT and for other people they do diddly over squat. You won't know which you are until you try it.4) You don't typically see people here who got really good results with the first thing the doctor gave them (as those people typically do not go to support bb's after all) so the experiences here can be biased to those that the standard treatments do not work really well for.K.

· Registered
33,934 Posts
1) IBS typically waxes and wanes.NOTHING WILL CURE IT, but you may find that X, Y or Z contol some % of the symptoms some % of the time.2) It is common for people to need more than 1 thing at a time to get good control X is 50% better Y is 20% better and Z is 15% better when alone but XY AND Z may give someone control almost all of the time.The most important thing, I think, is to give things a chance to go through a few cycles of flare ups to determine what works well for you MOST of the time.If you stop something the first time you flare up you may be missing things that help more often than they do not.I have very good control 95-99% of the time, but I still have a spasm once in a while I have to take an antispasmodic for.3) NOT ALL IBS PAIN IS FROM SPASMS. This may be why for some people they work GREAT and for other people they do diddly over squat. You won't know which you are until you try it.4) You don't typically see people here who got really good results with the first thing the doctor gave them (as those people typically do not go to support bb's after all) so the experiences here can be biased to those that the standard treatments do not work really well for.K.

· Registered
33,934 Posts
Many herbal teas and many drugs have digestive side effects so somethings can be more bothersome than helpful. And that varies substantially from one person to the next and from time to time.Something that tends to loosen the stool may be very good when you are constipated and be a big problem when you have diarrhea.K.

· Registered
33,934 Posts
Many herbal teas and many drugs have digestive side effects so somethings can be more bothersome than helpful. And that varies substantially from one person to the next and from time to time.Something that tends to loosen the stool may be very good when you are constipated and be a big problem when you have diarrhea.K.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.