Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was diagnosed with IBS a few months ago during my freshman year at college. After a couple of grueling months, the symptoms were controlled (or possibly subsided on their own). Now that I'm back home, I've been trying to eat more healthfully and to lose some weight. I wanted to switch to eating more fruits and vegetables--which I rarely ate at school. A month into this change in diet, my old symptoms of excess smelly gas and rumbling, as well as bloating and cramping, have returned full force. Could this be due to my shift in diet? Has anyone else tried to lose weight with IBS--or eat healthfully? should i abandon fruits and veggies or should things improve as time goes on? This is really impacting my social/work life...any advice/info greatly appreciated!! Thanks

·
Registered
880 Posts
For me, I am pretty much limited to applesauce and bananas for fruit. When I know I am not going anywhere, I will eat other fruits. But citrus can really aggrivate my GERD and cause a lot of pain.For veggies, I can pretty much eat anything. Although I have found that frozen veggies are easier on me than fresh. I don't know if it is how they are processed, or if the pesticides are washed off better, or what. But they can also be more nutritious, as frozen veggies are frozen shortly after picking while fresh veggies have probably sat in a truck for a week and then on the shelf of the store for a week, losing vitamins the whole time. The best veggies for me are peas and green beans, and of course potatoes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts