Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just visited an experienced doctor and nutritionist recently who has cured IBS, and had a long discussion about IBS and the sole cause of IBS was diet and only diet. Basically, eating too much preservative foods, packaged foods and canned foods in North America induces too much chemicals into the digestive tract, which hinders the proper function of liver, small intestine, large intestine and colon. This temporary hampers the body's own function to heal itself by weakning the immune system. Hence to get back to the body's original state and reverse the process, the body needs to be kept from all these preserved and processed foods and also alcohol, caffeine, dairy products, fatty & fried foods for a long enough time for body's normal operation. Hence, avoidance of these foods for 1-2 months and keeping a diet which contains of homecooked meals, a lot of fresh fruits and cooked vegeatbles- specifically PAPAYA, NATURAL YOGURT are essential to the diet will return the body back to proper functional capability. But however, after healing, a long enough time span should be given before one can start introducing preservative foods occasionally (BUT ONLY in very minute quantities).

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I'm sure diet plays a very important point but I have to disagree that diet is the main reason for it. For some of us I think that it is a hereditary type syndrome. It certainly runs in my family. I am in my mid 50s and have suffered with it my whole life. My mother was a nurse and we had a very good diet plus fresh food. There wasnt alot of highly processed stuff back then. I also think that many of us here on the BB take particularly good care of ourselves because there is so much hell to pay if the situation is aggravated by a very bad diet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had an allergy and food sensitivity test over the weekend. After confirming I had issues with around 50 items including food and environmental ones, the nutritionalist suggested that I cut out everything I'm sensitive to for 3 months, then I'll have a re-test and slowly re-introduce those foods which I'll be able to tolerate. For me they think I have a yeast and bad-bacteria over-growth which has weakend my immune system. Pretty much what was explained above.A combination of poor diet/lifestyle, a bad course of anti-biotics, food poisoning and a stressful lifestyle whilst being at uni have all contributed to my IBS woes. The nutritionalist believes that in a year I may not have any IBS symptoms anymore. I just have to eat homemade food, nothing preserved/artificial and cut out those foods and chemicals which I'm sensitive to.I think that for some people it is diet and food sensitivities which are the main cause. In this case IBS may only be temporary! But for those where it's hereditary it's more than likely to be a life-long condition though don't quote me on it as I'm not a doctor and this is just my opinion. For me, my dad has IBS but only recently - he's only suffered with it for about 5 years so I don't believe I've got mine from my dad! I hope mine is temporary but only time will tell.Soph.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Chris - I will try to reply calmly...but attitudes like - "it is just diet" - can really infuriate IBS sufferers. If only it was that simple. I was raised eating out of our garden and off the farm, we could not afford fast food or processed food, nor did my Mom believe in feeding it to us. As an adult I do not eat any processed or fast food or fried food or food with partially hydrogentated oil, etc, etc, etc. Due to my husbands food allergies (corn which is in all packaged food in the US) and my IBS -C/M/P, I prepare all our food from scratch - breakfast, packed lunch and dinner. We do not eat out. When we go on vacation, I still prepare all our meals out of necessity. Now you are right in that fast foood/processed foods will send me into agony, but they are not the root cause. Food is a trigger. There is not such thing as "healing" so that one can eat the processed food. There are also many very "healthy and natural" foods that are also major triggers for me.I follow an extremely strict diet, my doctors alway comment on how I'm am the most healthiest eater they know.I have struggled with CC since early childhood and IBS since I was a teenager. I could go on and on.You will find that most on this forum have figured out the hard way what their primary triggers are. But there are many times that no matter what you do you cannot control it. It is very frustrating. We already have doctors just brushing us off, please don't add fuel to the fire.I hope for you, it is as easy as just diet.Zanne

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Diet only causes IBS in that a lot of IBS starts after food poisoning but that can happen even with the most organic of diets and GI viruses passed from person to person can cause the same problems.Now some people do find certain diets relieve IBS symptoms, but no one diet works for everyone.A fair number of people with IBS do go into remission so if that happens to you then the diet you can eat will get broader as you no longer have the IBS so the food triggers go away.Diet and IBS is a funny thing. It effects some, but not others. If the only thing that caused IBS was processed foods then why is it a disease that has been described (with a variety of different names, just because IBS was the name coined recently doesn't mean it sprang into existence in the late 1960's) in the medical writings since the ancient greeks. Makes sense given we know GI infections start IBS in most cases and in the days before refrigeration and good hygiene there probably was as many problems with intestinal infections as there is today.I have met on here a fair number of angry people who are very upset their all organic no processed food has passed my lips in decades diet didn't prevent them from getting IBS.That being said. I'm glad you found something that worked for you. But IBS is too varied for there to be one size fits all cure nor do we all share the exact same triggers for symptoms once we get it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
"eating too much preservative foods, packaged foods and canned foods in North America" - well, there are IBS sufferers all over the world, not just in North America, even in places where people do not eat many packaged and canned foods.And preservatives are eaten by almost everyone today. There are preservatives even in the simplest things (e.g. bread) that one cand find in a supermarket. If preservatives were to cause IBS, a much larger percentage of the population would be sick. Not to mention, like Kathleen said, that IBS existed way before preservatives were invented...Personally, I did eat some fast food stuff during the time before my IBS symptoms kicked in, but I didn't eat in a fast-food as much and as often as my friends did. Even before having IBS, my diet was mostly comprised of healthy, homecooked food. I'm pretty sure that it's not the processed food that caused my IBS. If anything, consumption of processed food helped weaken my digestive system and now I avoid this kind of food. I seldom had any symptoms after eating processed food. Instead, some of the biggest flare ups I ever had happened after some fresh, homecooked meals. I wish it were that simple. But it isn't. It's frustrating when you keep trying to eat only healthy food and still have worse flare ups than ever before. If anything is even more frustrating, it's having to listen to people tell you that it's diet, just diet, and you should try harder and if you only had a proper diet, then you'd be fine. Except that you already are struggling hard to mantain a healthy diet and you're not fine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Guys, I apologize if I am aggravating or angering anyone through my posts as I sincerely dont mean to do so. I am trying my best to attain as much information and share as much information to solve this IBS problem (both yours and mine).Sophie2009 I have also gone through a heavy course of antibitoics (6 different types in a span of 4 weeks) during the intial stages of my IBS, as the gastroentlogists thought it was a bacterial inection/stomach flu instead of actually IBS. Thus this misdiagnosis really exacerbated my IBS as the intestinal flora was continuously being diminsihed of the "good bacteria". However much much later while I was still suffering IBS, I started taking an enteric coated probiotic (more specifically I took a strong probiotic- 50 millions species- with 10 different kinds including Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactabacillus planatrum and bifidobacterium bifidius). However, after a month dosage I still did'nt improve. But the only reason I took it is to be sure that the lack of gut flora wasn't really causing my IBS and hence I was satisfied atleast there was enough probitoics supplements taken to override the yeast growth problem if that was the case. Then I started to try something else. If intestinal flora imbalance is your problem with excessive yeast & bad bacteria growth then you may want to try a strong probiotic like the one I mentioned above. As for in my opinion, I dont seem to agree with the fact that akin to celiac disease, lactose intolerance, IBS is something which comes with your genes. At many points you may have seen that anything you eat causes blaoting, constipation...so I mean even after one has found their trigger foods, they still see that non-trigger foods cause IBS, you cannot really inherit this sort of a thing , in where you get affected by every food you eat. No parent passes on a weak digestive system, weak immune system to such a broad spectrum of food to their kids. If you are affected by a food intolerane like lactose or maybe even if a food allergy like peanut its a different issue, but IBS at times is uncontrollable to any kind of food.Zenne, I dont mean to hurt your feelings in any way, but I have had my fair share of useless comments from various doctors too. Every docotor has told me "IBS is caused by STRESS", when I tried to explain to them that I have no reason to be stressful, and that its not causing me. NOBODY has ever told me that DIET is the sole cause, until recently, and this is coming from a HOMEOPATHIC DOCTOR (33 years experience) who has HEALED IBS sufferers completely without any reccurence. So your probably infamous phrase is "IBS is caused by DIET". I have great faith in homoepathy as many of my family members for various incurable diseases by conventional doctors have permanently been healed with homoepathic treatment, so my homoepathic doctor has told me which foods to avoid and which foods not to avoid as he said that my IBS will heal FOREVER by altering my food habits (75 % of IBS will heal thru food habits), however the remainiing 25 % will heal thru homoepathy medicine as the medicine will kick start the body's normal functional capability naturally. You may or may not believe in this treatment Zenne, but after going so many routes for treatment just like I have, you could try this one.Kathleen, you are bang on with the fact that IBS starts off with a food infection for those people were diet playsa major role cause I had the exact same case when my IBS started. I am not aware, of the different terms that IBS has been given over the past few decades as I am not sure about the history of IBS. Brianmay1975 But what I can say is that IBS is more strongly affected in some people than others with the food that caused IBS in the first place in them. Everyone's immune system and digestive system is different, so basically if I ate a certain food that caused IBS in me in the first place, I might be more strongly affected by it than someone else who had IBS with the same exact food. So the other person's fucntional organs may not be affected as much and might work more quickly to eliminate the IBS problem in their system than possibly in mine. My organs mite be affected in a such a way that it has temporarily lost its functional capability and in some sort come into a "COMA" stage. Thus it needs a kick start to get back to its normal operation(This willbe achieved by HOMEOPATHY MEDICATION. AND AGAIN I WANT TO MENTION I AM NOT PROMOTING ANYONE. I AM JUST SAYING THAT HOMOEPATHY HAS SOLVED A LOT OF MY IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBERS CHRONIC ISSUES.)

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
A lot of the people who promote the "don't eat modern food" type of diets to "cure" IBS like to pretend that IBS is a purely modern disease that was never ever seen before processed food became common. So they propose returning the diet we ate 20 or 100 years ago will make IBS go away.The problem is IBS has always been with us. GI symptoms have always been common (look at any herbal medicine from any culture and people were always looking for lots of herbs to treat diarrhea, constipation, bloating, gas, etc.).People get IBS when they eat NO preservatives. It is not modern food that sets it off (and strangely we get a few people who can't eat any fruits and veggies but are OK if they stick to pop tarts and other such "bad" modern food).Now there are lots of darn good reasons to eat real food rather than extruded food-like substances, but preventing you from ever getting IBS is not one of them. Nor does a whole food diet cure everyone.You are the one that titled the thread "Diet is the sole cause of IBS" rather than anything else. That is why I brought up that scientific evidence shows that GI infections not the preservatives in food is what sets IBS off in most people. Sometimes it is other things, but that is the most common cause of IBS.Now I know a lot of people don't use "cause" the same way scientists use the word "cause", but even if diet triggers your IBS symptoms, it didn't cause you to have the disorder.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kathleen you are right in the fact that everyones definition for CAUSE is different. My statement that "Food is the sole cause for IBS" is a very generic one which includes the fact that the infections in the food, additives, coloring, prerservatives in foods can cause IBS. As for history of IBS, i would like to say soemthing cause in those days herbal medicine was the only form of medicine for any sort of illness, so there wasnt a simple solution to even something simple like a stomach flu, bacterial infection which overalps with the broad range symptoms of IBS. Thus, since they didnt have a quick fix for even a simple thing like a stomach flu or bacterial infection (which now is readily available thru antiobiotics), it turned out to be a chronic problem and hence we can misintrepret it as being IBS existing from ages and ages ago. You must be very much aware from previous posts by other users, that the North American food industry has a lot of food preservatives, additives, processed food, junk food than any other part of the world. So how would you explain, North America having the highest rate of IBS than any other part of the world. There is more scope for junk food in this part of the world than any other, thereby leading to great chance of being prone to IBS. People, like me who consitenly ate the wrong foods again and again, in my case I believe it was HOT DOGS from the vendor, I ate it continuously for 3 weeks, which basically was not accustomed to my system for such a long duration , ended up with me having weakened immune system. Thus, the processed junk preservative food in nature, in conjunction with possibly germs in food lead to person developing IBS.And for people, who develop IBS without junk food and from other food sources, it could very well be those food sources which they have not previously ingested, it could very well be a cuisine which they never had before and the germs, the ingredients, the spices, etc heavily affected their immune system therby causin IBS, cause I mean every food has germs, even fresh fruits and salads have germs, but the body is coated with enough bacteria and fighting capabilities to handle these germs, but sometimes certain species of bacteria from unknown and unaccustomed food sources have the potential to drastically damage one's digestive and immune system, that a chronic condiiton such as IBS can develop. But my point, is that most people who have IBS have through junk food, preservatives, however there is the likelihood of acquiring IBS from non-preservative foods like u mentioned before possibly due to the reason I mentioned above.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
There are several very old descriptions of whatever word they used for it at the time that reads exactly like the Rome Criteria for IBS that we use in the modern day.I don't think you can just decide that IBS is only from preservatives in food. Although it is a common belief. They have shown that people with a diagnosed proven Salmonella infection (they had it cultured and everything) get IBS afterward at a high rate where people eating the exact same modern diet that don't get any GI infection (food poisoning or GI-virus like novovirus) in the last couple of years do not.That is why I say GI INFECTIONS not just I ate a pop tart once in awhile is what science would call a cause.I do agree the modern food system of extruded food-like substances isn't good and people, in general, should eat more real food and less synthetic food-like things. I just don't think IBS is the main health issue people get form eating synthetic processed extruded substances.I cannot agree it is the one and only cause of IBS and the one and only cure is to not eat preservatives in food. A lot of the physical difference seen in IBSers vs healthy controls is just not what eating trans fat would do to you. It is what the fall out of fighting off a GI infection can do.I've always had a very good diet. I eat real food, I eat my fruits and veggies every day. I have since I was a kid and I did even when a poor starving student and everything. I got a GI infection. I got IBS. Didn't matter how good my diet was (and I had it evaluated by nutritionists a couple of times for other reasons and they were always shocked at how well I ate and I met all the guidelines for less fat, more veggies, fiber, etc).Now I did eat a pop tart or two in my life because no one is perfect all the time, but I really do not eat the standard all processed all the time US diet.Now probiotics in yogurt and some of the stool loosening propeties of some fruits can really help with constipation, but they don't usually cure it (you can stop eating them and never have another problem) and I'm glad that they and the fiber from the veggies worked for you. There are a lot of good things in real food, and I wish that was all anyone ever needed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kathleen you are absolutely 100 % correct in the fact that the "fall out of GI infection" is the process after consuming the food leading to IBS. But in essence there is no way to measure what the fall out is that is the true problem. Many like I said say that the intestinal flora gets disrupted and they recommend probiotics. But even after taking several probiotics nothing seems to work, either thru yogurt or thru supplements. What is it that the fall out really is? How can the body's original state be reestablished are questions one needs to ask themselves. Kathleen just to confirm, u said u knew people whose Ibs went away forever and that food spectrum broadened over the course of time, do u have any idea as to how long the time span was before they could eat anything and everything?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I wasn't particularly food triggered although larger meals and high fiber did tend to bother me when the IBS was bad.I did 3 months of CBT and things got better during that but then by about 2 years later I was basically symptom free (other than a couple of times a year I get cramps more related to stress than food).I know a couple of the PI-IBS (post infectious IBS) studies found that pretty much regardless of what treatments people used a good portion (like 60% or more) were not having any IBS symptoms in the 2-5 year range after the IBS started range. So it doesn't heal fast, but it does go into remission more often then not for those they could track the GI infection that started it so they knew it was PI-IBS.Now I always recommend everyone eat a healthy diet, so you never want to rely on a high fat or high junk diet. I also think that generally if you can find something that work or at least helps early on it can help with the eventually going into remission. Mostly because the depressed, anxious, frustrated, angry state isn't all that good for helping to reset the nerves of the gut and tend to reinforce the ways it misbehaves. (if that makes any sense). Being stressed out either from physical issuse like pain or from emotional distress never helps anyone heal over time, doesn't matter what illness it is.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kathleen, another quick question for you. You said that those people with post-infectious IBS eventually have gone into remission after tracking their GI infection. But how is it that they actually tracked it? Various tests by doctors, be it stool, blood, ultrasound, barium x-ray, colonoscopy, gastroscopy show nothing when it comes to chronic IBS.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually if you are in a clinical trial for post-infectious IBS, or someone that is having their case followed for research purposes you are one of those people that was sick enough with food poisoning or novovirus or anything like that (sometimes from a major outbreak where a lot of people get tested and they were trying to track down what happened) where you went to the doctor at the time of the infection. Some sort of stool culture was done that verified you had a GI infection (or whatever test is appropriate for that disease) and you got enough follow up they know the infection went away and you were then diagnosed with IBS in the 6 months to a year after the infection that is in your medical records. And the IBS is what they use for clinical trials which usually is you meet either the Rome or other criteria and have had enough tests they ruled out anything else that needed to be ruled out.Problem is a lot of us just tough out the diarrhea and vomiting at home if we can keep enough fluids in to not need to see the doctor. So a lot of people can't be used for a PI-IBS study even if we are pretty sure that we had something that was likely a GI infection of some kind.Sometime they just collect people and do periodic questionaires. I know in the CBT study I was in they did a few follow up questionaires to see if people maintained the benefit or not. So collecting a group of people you can define well (and either doing something or just tracking them) and then following up for a few years is a pretty common research thing. Some studies do no follow up but there was one paper where they checked in on people with PI-IBS to guage remission rates. There are some other remission rate studies that have been done as well. So IBS is documented to go into remission for some percentage of people. It isn't always permanent every day for the rest of your life. Chronic just means lasts for awhile, not it can't ever get better. Something like 30% of people in any clinical trial for IBS that are in the placebo group get better during the course of the study (and every disease has a placebo cure rate).

·
Banned
240 Posts
Your statement has no evidence, scientific or even anecdotal to back it up.I wish it were true then anyone who chooses to life such a lifestyle couldbe cured.I personally eat no dairy, no caffiene, no meat, no preservatives, mostlyorganic, homecooked usually, tons of vegetables, etc. I've also tried gluten free, vegetable fasting, etc. Some foods trigger IBS but even without spicy foods, dairy, alcohol,and the common 'triggers' people still have diarrhea or constipation. Sorry Chris, you are wrong. But I wish you were right.

·
Registered
58 Posts
SunNsnow, if you see my previous replies, you will see that I did say that IBS symptoms can also occur with non-trigger foods and at the same I did mention about homeopathy to reestablish your bodily function and bowel function. Please, don't blatantly deem my case to be false. I do understand what your suffering through as so am I. But I only want to help, and thus one needs to control diet and take homeopathy medicine at the same time to be on the path of the healing curve. Trust me together by controlling diet and taking homoepathy we can both fight IBS!

·
Banned
240 Posts
Where is the scientific evidence suggesting that homeopathyis a cure for IBS?The first example they used in statistics was to use homeopathyas an example of the impossible. The dosage is so small that itmakes no sense, except placebo.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not everything has to be scientific to be true. All the North American doctors I went to they totally disregarded homeopathy and said that its not science. Several chronic cases in my family have been healed with homeopathy. It may not be popular in North America, but that does not mean it doesnt work. Not everything has to be scientific to work. Homeopathy is a naturopathic treatment which doesnt just supresses ure symptoms, but eliminates the root cause of the problem. Look at acupuncture, its a form of naturopathic treatment, its not scientific in nature, but it has helped so many people in so many things. If North American doctors, who cant cure IBS and who dont have a solution of IBS, why should I continue to trust them. I dont want to just continue living in agony for the rest of my life and keep believing that sooner or later North American doctors will come up with a cure., when there is alternative form of homeopathic treatment and doctors who have healed IBS sufferers. I have been taken homeopathic medicine from childhood, and I have always been healed with it and thus I believe that this chronic case of mine which has been cured for previous IBS suffers will be cure for me too. After all its me who is suffering and not the North American conventional doctors who only seem to believe that only their conventional allopathy treatment is correct. The dosage might be small, but that is why you have to atleast give it a month, before the accumulated effect of it can be felt. You need to be under the guidance of an experience practioner to see the correct results.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I just visited an experienced doctor and nutritionist recently who has cured IBS, and had a long discussion about IBS and the sole cause of IBS was diet and only diet. Basically, eating too much preservative foods, packaged foods and canned foods in North America induces too much chemicals into the digestive tract, which hinders the proper function of liver, small intestine, large intestine and colon. This temporary hampers the body's own function to heal itself by weakning the immune system. Hence to get back to the body's original state and reverse the process, the body needs to be kept from all these preserved and processed foods and also alcohol, caffeine, dairy products, fatty & fried foods for a long enough time for body's normal operation. Hence, avoidance of these foods for 1-2 months and keeping a diet which contains of homecooked meals, a lot of fresh fruits and cooked vegeatbles- specifically PAPAYA, NATURAL YOGURT are essential to the diet will return the body back to proper functional capability. But however, after healing, a long enough time span should be given before one can start introducing preservative foods occasionally (BUT ONLY in very minute quantities).
Sounds like a great start to me. Do you plan to adhere to this type of lifestyle change?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.