Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some news for everyone!!! The diet I have been doing has come to an end! and it was actually helpful!! Im lucky to have a nurse in the family! so I know the diet is safe and and Doctor would agree its worth trying. I suffer from both C&D and have done for about 2 years. I decided enough was enough and I was going to try everything and anything to sort it out! So the first thing I did was this elimination diet. Basically you cut out all preservities, red meat, dairy, wheat etcYou get a list of thing you can eat and things you cant eat. You follow that for two weeks and then slowly re-introduce foods on the "disallowed" list. You eat the new food for two day and if you have no problems move on to the next. Until you get through the whole list! I was asked by my doctor ages ago to cut wheat out for a week or two to see if it had an effect on my ibs but it didnt. Looking back this was probably because I was still eatting a load of other things that werent to good for me! This time round from the start of the diet my ibs pain had gone. I found out that onions cause small pains and wheat causes really evil bad ibs! so now Im going to avoid wheat for a while then try to re introduce in a few weeks to see what happens.I will say one thing about the diet though, it is bloody hard work! you have to really have will power and not eat the "bad" foods.....the hardest to give up was chocolate!!!! But at least now I now certain foods really do cause a lot of pain! Im still really depressed and panic a lot of the time but Im hoping after a while of know physical pain, the rest of my troubles will fade away! I also found that if I dont drink before during or after a meal I dont get so bloated. This is because drinking dilutes your natural digestive juices, making it harder for you to digest! and one big thing I was gulity of was not chewing ! You really got to make a effort to think about how much you chew and break up your food before you swallow! I will let you all know how it goes now Im a wheat free zone!! and if anyone wants the full details of the diet let me know! Im happy to help anyone out if I can!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
one other thing I forgot to say. A few people have said that sometimes you can create and intolrance if your diet is very limited. Before all my problems started I must admit I was a wheat junky! I had toast in the morning and sandwich for lunch and normally something with wheat in for dinner!! and they were saying that because it was the only source of fibre I was putting in to my body after a while its possible my body just said "No. thats it ! no more wheat" and started to retaliate with ibs!! One person I know had a problem with eatting wheat and cut it out for a while I think a year or so and now he can eat it without any problem at all! Does anyone else agree with this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have ibs c&d also!! i have had it for 15 years now! im 29 years old and i have had every test known to man and the all the doctors can say is i have severe ibs!! i have read what you wrote about how you have changed your diet and cut out wheat, red meat, preservatives etc... so what do you eat? isn't wheat in alot of foods we all eat on a daily basis? I like to snack on pretzels, special k bars, granola bars, tortilla chips, string cheese etc.. what types of snacks do you eat that have helped you with ibs? do you eat fruit? I bought a book today over the internet called Eating for IBS Diet & Cookbook, by Heather Van Vorous so hopefully once i get it, it will help me and give me more understanding on what i need to eat and not eat!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Sarah,I think we spoke on my original post. I'm now into week 5 of my elimination diet and we've discovered my IBS isnt caused from Gluten/Wheat or dairy but from a thing called Salicylates (which is in SO many things its not funny). I'm onto day 4 of not eating anything containing it and the difference is PHENOMENAL!It has been hard giving up all the foods I love (chocolate was a killer for me too LOL) however, I think I'd be prepared to alter my diet/lifestyle/eating habits just to live some sort of "normal" life and not have to miss out on things in fear of leaving the house in case your bowel plays up etc. I'm glad your elimination diet seems to be paying off. Good news for both of us!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
How did you find out about such an obscure chemical allergy as a salicylates?Think Heather's diet is pretty decent and matched the majority of my food sensitivities, but I would definitely recommend supplementing her diet with juiced vegetables and sea algae like spirulina-Jamie

·
Registered
173 Posts
gavent had much luck diets so far....may hafta try it again but no its been fairly useless when it all comes down to it
havent tried heathers yet cos ive got GP and natrapath telling me two different things already...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jaime - My naturopath removed everything and I was still suffering symptoms (stomach swelling, diarrhoea) she then looked at my food diary and came the the conclusion it had to be a thing called Salicylates due to the fact everything I was eating (tomato, cucumber, lettuce, avacado, brocolli, cauliflower, kiwi fruit, nuts) and a number of other things daily, ALL have this natural preservative in. It's quite common apparently but again, not enough information out there about it! Surprisedly, I've found out a friend of a friend has the same food intolerance so I'm going to have a long chat to her about how she manages it.So it is common, just not enough knowledge out there about it and peoples food intolerances can therefore go undetected.My guess is, if you react to Asprin and MSG then you possibly are in this category of being allergic to Salicylates.Just throwing it out there for those that have tried everything and are still stumped!On the down side, I tried to introduce the second dairy product yesterday - cheese. I wound up feverish, swollen stomach and throwing up. Clearly my allergies run deeper than initially thought. If I cut out all Salicylates and clearly dont eat dairy, I'm fine though.It's all very interesting. It's also a massive shame there isnt more info out there. Who the hell would've thought you can be allergic to NATURAL food preservatives?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont know about Heather diet still a bit un-sure about how helpful her site is! but anyway for though of you asking questions here r answers! lolFirst of all DJM Im glad your have had a break through as well! and I hope things clear up for you ! Mikey ......what diets have your tried?! and what different things are you being told?! and Jeni here are a few exmaples of what I did and a bit more infor on the diet! The diet as written in the cambridge textbook for gp's/nurses etc is :Things you not allowed for the first 2 weeks:meat - Preserver meats, Bacon , Sausages etc (Lamb generally is ok to eat as not many people have problems with it )Fish - Smoked or shellfish Veg - Potatoes, onions , sweetcornFruit - CitrusCereals - Wheat, Oats, Barley, Rye, CornCooking oils - Corn or vegtable oilDairy - Cows milk, butter , cheese, eggs, yogartMisc- Chocolate
and yeast , vinegarDrinks - Tea, coffe, squash, orange, grapefruit juice, tap water, alchol Thing you can have ! yay! :Meat - White meat (lamb as well but cut it out for the first week at least and see how u go )Fish - White Fish Veg - Salad, Pulses, Swede, Parsnip (by salad I mean lettuce, tomatoes etc )Fruit - Apples, Bananans , pears (anything non citrus or non acidic)Cereals - Rice flakes, Rice krispies, Millet , BuckwheatCooking oil - Sunflower, safflower, olive, soya Dairy - Goats & Sheep's milk, goats yogart & cheese, soya milk & cheeseDrinks - Herb tea, apple, pineapple juice, mineral or distilled water.I know it sounds like an evil 2 weeks to get through without all this stuff but after a while you find a way around it, there are other things you can replace things with such as soya milk. I would avoid all processed foods, white sugar , and flour (wheat flour that is ). You will learn a lot about food through this diet! I never knew certain things had wheat in them but there r loads of things! such as normal tinned raviolli!!! Anyway back to the diet ! After 2 weeks re-introduce thease foods in this order for 2 days at a timeTap water PotatoesCows milkyeast rye butteronionseggsoatschocolatebarley citrus corn cow cheesecows yogart & products (such as cream )Vinegar THEN wheat! (its a ###### I know! )They everything else you haven't done already but make sure you only introduce one new food every 2 days ! The funny thing is that isnt even a very strict version of the diet! A lot of thing you will have to decided yourself if they are "good" or "bad" but just read all the ingridents and if your not sire dont eat it !! Jeni you asked about snacks....well I also used to love crisps and crackers etc but I had to cut them all out ! So I discover nuts and dried friut! now I know it doesnt sound as mouth watering as cheese and biscuits!!! BUT its only for a few weeks until you know what the problem it ! But dont eat loads and loads of fruit and nut because its dried fruit it will swell in your belly so eat to much and you will get bloated!! For breakfast I normally had fruit, or rice kripies with chopped up bananas (just to make it more intresting). For lunch normally a salad or you could have fish ( I hate fish! ). Then for dinner I would normally have chicken and rice with some veg, or just a nice big chicken salad. You could also have fish! I won't lie to you it is not easy! and all you want to do is have a massive burger and chips followed by ice cream!!!! BUT if you dont help yourself no one will! I also found I became a better cook! because I was forced to cook most my meals !! and I often used herbs with the chicken (your meant to stay away from the spices as well). I forced myself to eat things I wasnt to keen on and now I love em!!! This diet is safe and there is no harm at all in trying it to see if it helps. I couldnt believe that after a few days of the diet I was fine (still really emotional but physically fine)! I think thats what made me stick to it and not cheat! and now Im enjoying a pain free life! For now anyway!! as I said before to some of you Im still feeling depressed but I think after a while that will clear up!!! Now I think this is the longest thread I have ever written on any site before in my life ! So Im going to shut up now!!! I know some of you will think yeah diet whatever been there done that ! I was the same but in the end I thougth there is no harm in trying and if it doesnt work I havent lost out if it does then YAY! If anyone you have any more questions about it or want some recipe ideas just let me know ! I will be more then happy to help anyone! because I know the evil pain that is IBS!!! Hope this has helped!

·
Registered
62 Posts
HiyaI did this diet too, Except I tested alcohol too (very funny). Mine was slightly different to yours as my nutritionist figured I was intolerant to alot of fibre, so I still cant eat lettuce and nuts/seeds (but I can have chocolate and gin- IBS does have a sense of humour afterall) I agree with watching out for dried fruit-I had a very nasty incident with raisins last week and I'm still recovering! For snacks I have apples (pale green ones seem to be the best), bananas and soya yoghurt (fruit ones and vanilla ones). When I want to pig out chocolate soya milk and pineapple does the trick! Now I can eat corn I have the plain Doritos about once a week. Rice cakes are great, as you can literally put anything on them, from bacon to peanut buttet!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've also been doing the elimination diet, off and on since January. How do y'all deal with the feeling that you're always depriving yourself of something? I'm not good at it. It's probably a combination of the relative mildness of my IBS (it SUCKS to be constipated and makes me upset, but it's not as bad as it could be) and my addictive-type personality. How do you get your sweet fix? Just by eating fruit? Right now I'm sad enough without my yogurt, ice cream, or cheese, but there are worse things coming, I know. Any willpower or substitution advice would be helpful!

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
I have started to change my eating habits over the last week, its hard but i have to lose weight, im 5"3 and im nearly 10 stone
for my height i should be around 8 stone ish..I have stopped ALL crappy food stuff, choc, chips, crisps, cakes etc.I am eating a lot more salads, cottage cheese on oatcakes, and healthier sarnies.I did look at heathers site but decided it was not really for me, but im not knocing her diet and im sure many, many peeps have good things to say about it.Also i have got into the habit of walking more and doing more exercise.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My sugar fix was honey! It is the most natural sweet thing u can get I think! ur allowed to have it from day one with the diet I was doing! Try baked bananas with some honey and nuts

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.