Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone clarify what the distinction is between bloating and just feeling full as you do after a medium to large meal.When I was diagnosed I answered no to the question of do I get bloated. Since reading this board it seems some posters describe that full feeling after a meal as bloating. I do get that at times, so maybe I should have answered yes to whether I get bloated.Can someone claify the distinction here?

·
Registered
880 Posts
For me, I have three different bloated/full feelings. If I eat a big meal (which I rarely do now, I try to stick to 5-6 small meals a day because it helps my acid reflux/IBS), I feel plain old full like I couldn't eat another bite. If I am bloated, my stomach gets big and hard. Sometimes my husband will poke it and say "what the heck is IN there?" It is uncomforable and difficult to find a sitting position that is comfortable. And it is not related to how much I eat. Some days, I can eat a plain potato and my stomach can get that way.And sometimes, I can eat just a tiny bit of food and feel full and bloated. This sometimes happens when my IBS is flaring up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mannie. Maybe mine is just a feeling of feeling full and not bloating as my stomach does not feel hard or get extended (well, its a bit naturally extended due to being over 40). And mine is associated with a relatively large meal, but does not occur at other times.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Ibs associated bloating is pretty distinct from just feeling full. Mannie gave a good description. When I first got IBS the bloating was so bad I did a pregnancy test! Your abdomen feels so hard, like you have swallowed a great big soccer ball! It's rather annoying.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually for me, what I call bloating, is feeling like I ate the entire thanksgiving feast all by myself after eating a small meal, or after eating a few bites. And the feeling generally lasts until the next meal rather than going away in an hour or two like eating a big meal fullness does.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
846 Posts
Bloating for me feels like there's stool and/or gas stuck up there that just won't come out.It has gotten so bad, I'm afraid to eat to avoid the bloating! M.D. said to increase dosage of Klonopin til I can get in the office (till THEY can see me, that is)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.