Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Wanted to ask everyone a question. Would you prefer to have a different G.I. problem? Let me explain: I am in the process of being tested to rule everything out. My fingers are crossed that I DON'T have IBS. I would prefer another problem as IBS isn't taken very seriously by my family and because other problems tend to be more predictabe. Are any of you in the same boat? What other disease/syndrome would you prefer to have?

·
Registered
398 Posts
What a question!!! I can't think of anything else digestive that i would want b/c it's all bad.Maybe appendicitis so they could just take it out and be done with it!!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
What a question!!! I can't think of anything else digestive that i would want b/c it's all bad.Maybe appendicitis so they could just take it out and be done with it!!!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I certainly know what you mean. While I went through the diagnosis process I kept thinking it would be preferable to have anything apart from IBS.I think much of that train of thought comes from the fact other conditions can be treated successfully while with IBS we are groping around in the dark for answers.At least with IBS it isn't going to kill you or seriously damage you in anyway - I know that probably feels like no consolation right now....Once you have come to the point when everything else is ruled out you need to accept that it is IBS - that acceptance is the first but difficult step on to learning to live with the condition.Its a tough road to walk for sure....Clair

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I certainly know what you mean. While I went through the diagnosis process I kept thinking it would be preferable to have anything apart from IBS.I think much of that train of thought comes from the fact other conditions can be treated successfully while with IBS we are groping around in the dark for answers.At least with IBS it isn't going to kill you or seriously damage you in anyway - I know that probably feels like no consolation right now....Once you have come to the point when everything else is ruled out you need to accept that it is IBS - that acceptance is the first but difficult step on to learning to live with the condition.Its a tough road to walk for sure....Clair

G

·
I used to think being diagnosed with Celiac disease was wonderful because I finally knew what it was. Now, I don't want to come across completely negative or anything, but this diet is so challenging!! I cannot eat anything that contains gluten which is found in wheat, rye, barley and oats. It is very sad because I cannot go out to eat very many places or even buy regular food at the store. Most of my food is purchased via the internet or at a health food store in which I have to drive 2 hours to. The food is twice, no lets triple the amount of regular food prices due to the lack of demand. On social occasions I have to bring my own food or just turn down invitations due to the frustration of eating safely. Now...on the brighter side...I do feel alot better on the diet. No more constipation...no more cramping every night with the heating pad....no more bloating....night blindness is gone...lactose intolerance is gone...achiness in the bones has subsided...immune system is functioning much better...and energy levels have soared !! SO...to answer your question...I do not know. I wish everyday that I could eat a normal meal and not have to go through the links I do to avoid cross contamination and such. I wish alot of things that most consider to be normal...but I am thankful to be alive and enjoying life again. But what I would do for a FLOUR TORTILLA or PIZZA from Pizza Hut! URGH! My conclusion to this illness: The grass is always greener on the other side.

G

·
I used to think being diagnosed with Celiac disease was wonderful because I finally knew what it was. Now, I don't want to come across completely negative or anything, but this diet is so challenging!! I cannot eat anything that contains gluten which is found in wheat, rye, barley and oats. It is very sad because I cannot go out to eat very many places or even buy regular food at the store. Most of my food is purchased via the internet or at a health food store in which I have to drive 2 hours to. The food is twice, no lets triple the amount of regular food prices due to the lack of demand. On social occasions I have to bring my own food or just turn down invitations due to the frustration of eating safely. Now...on the brighter side...I do feel alot better on the diet. No more constipation...no more cramping every night with the heating pad....no more bloating....night blindness is gone...lactose intolerance is gone...achiness in the bones has subsided...immune system is functioning much better...and energy levels have soared !! SO...to answer your question...I do not know. I wish everyday that I could eat a normal meal and not have to go through the links I do to avoid cross contamination and such. I wish alot of things that most consider to be normal...but I am thankful to be alive and enjoying life again. But what I would do for a FLOUR TORTILLA or PIZZA from Pizza Hut! URGH! My conclusion to this illness: The grass is always greener on the other side.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi deirpg, i'm in a similar situation to you at the moment in that i'm also in the testing process & have just been told that I have IBS. I've had a Gastroscopy & a short test to rule out Colitis, though the doctor didn't advise a colonoscopy because 'there is a huge waiting list and we don't expect to find anything'. But during both tests I was praying for the doctor to find something, anything (except cancer). 2ndChance has hit the nail on the head saying the grass is always greener on the other side, but my biggest issue at the moment isn't my symptoms (C & D) but on how to tell people I have IBS (i'm new at this, nobody knows not even family) as it is such a taboo subject. This is stopping me from doing things that I used to do on a regular basis (going to the cinema, soccer games etc with friends) more than the symptons themselves at the moment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi deirpg, i'm in a similar situation to you at the moment in that i'm also in the testing process & have just been told that I have IBS. I've had a Gastroscopy & a short test to rule out Colitis, though the doctor didn't advise a colonoscopy because 'there is a huge waiting list and we don't expect to find anything'. But during both tests I was praying for the doctor to find something, anything (except cancer). 2ndChance has hit the nail on the head saying the grass is always greener on the other side, but my biggest issue at the moment isn't my symptoms (C & D) but on how to tell people I have IBS (i'm new at this, nobody knows not even family) as it is such a taboo subject. This is stopping me from doing things that I used to do on a regular basis (going to the cinema, soccer games etc with friends) more than the symptons themselves at the moment.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
While hoping it is Inflamatory Bowel Disease or something that others may take seriously is something I definitely went through, after reading what people with those diseases go through I'm glad it's just IBS.After all moon-face from prednisone and raging mood swings and having to take strong medicine to try to keep from needing to be on prednisone and trying to decide whether or not to have body parts removed because sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't and having bile acid diarrha or having to wear a bag because they had to remove too much to control it. Or living on nothing but Ensure for months on end to give the colon a rest, etc etc really doesn't look all that appealing anymore.K.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
While hoping it is Inflamatory Bowel Disease or something that others may take seriously is something I definitely went through, after reading what people with those diseases go through I'm glad it's just IBS.After all moon-face from prednisone and raging mood swings and having to take strong medicine to try to keep from needing to be on prednisone and trying to decide whether or not to have body parts removed because sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't and having bile acid diarrha or having to wear a bag because they had to remove too much to control it. Or living on nothing but Ensure for months on end to give the colon a rest, etc etc really doesn't look all that appealing anymore.K.K.

·
Registered
693 Posts
For awhile I felt that way because people ,even those near and dear would just not get what I was going through and if I told them I had IBS they would just think that I was 'irregular'.Grrrr.Now that I am going through the testing phase once again I am hoping and praying that it isn't celiac,because I love bread and all that stuff, and I hope it isn't crohns or ulcerative colitis,or inflamitory bowel disease or one of the other dreaded bowel diseases because like Kmottus said I really don't want to take those meds. I mean I really hope they can find something and just fix it but somehow I just doubt that is going to happen. I really think I have this weird body and the trouble begins from the moment I eat something, anything. I have tried to narrow it down to certain foods but so far nothing is consistent. So... back to your question , would I rather be diagnosed with a scary sounding disease? He** no . And to he** with those who can't understand my illness. I no longer care what others think. I am the one who is sick here. They should just be glad it's not them.

·
Registered
693 Posts
For awhile I felt that way because people ,even those near and dear would just not get what I was going through and if I told them I had IBS they would just think that I was 'irregular'.Grrrr.Now that I am going through the testing phase once again I am hoping and praying that it isn't celiac,because I love bread and all that stuff, and I hope it isn't crohns or ulcerative colitis,or inflamitory bowel disease or one of the other dreaded bowel diseases because like Kmottus said I really don't want to take those meds. I mean I really hope they can find something and just fix it but somehow I just doubt that is going to happen. I really think I have this weird body and the trouble begins from the moment I eat something, anything. I have tried to narrow it down to certain foods but so far nothing is consistent. So... back to your question , would I rather be diagnosed with a scary sounding disease? He** no . And to he** with those who can't understand my illness. I no longer care what others think. I am the one who is sick here. They should just be glad it's not them.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Me too... sorta but not really.I have my fun colonoscopy/endoscopy Thursday. The reason I'm putting myself through the test and the drugs, which are really what terrify me (I have atypical nasty reactions to many drugs) is the hope that there will be something wrong that is treatable. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!Crohn's is the primary suspect as the perp in my gut crimes. (Doc says if I do have IBS, it's the worst case he's ever seen. Obviously he doesn't read this board!) But Crohn's is usually treated with steroids. Steroids speed bone loss in osteoporosis, which I do have. Or else anticholinergics, which are in a family that I have a rare, bad reaction to -- ie, hallucinations. I want this yucky test to find some condition that can be treated by something I can tolerate. That is my greatest hope now. I'm done being embarrassed for a long time now. I just want to physically be able to do anything physical without gasping in pain or soiling myself. I want to go to the gym, I want to have sex, I want to be able to help friends move, I want to go for long walks with the dog. I want to have enough energy to make plans and then have some confidence that I can actually do what I planned to do. If you call my condition Barneyfeathers and treat it by making me hold a raw egg between my teeth for six days without breaking it, fine. Whatever works!!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Me too... sorta but not really.I have my fun colonoscopy/endoscopy Thursday. The reason I'm putting myself through the test and the drugs, which are really what terrify me (I have atypical nasty reactions to many drugs) is the hope that there will be something wrong that is treatable. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!Crohn's is the primary suspect as the perp in my gut crimes. (Doc says if I do have IBS, it's the worst case he's ever seen. Obviously he doesn't read this board!) But Crohn's is usually treated with steroids. Steroids speed bone loss in osteoporosis, which I do have. Or else anticholinergics, which are in a family that I have a rare, bad reaction to -- ie, hallucinations. I want this yucky test to find some condition that can be treated by something I can tolerate. That is my greatest hope now. I'm done being embarrassed for a long time now. I just want to physically be able to do anything physical without gasping in pain or soiling myself. I want to go to the gym, I want to have sex, I want to be able to help friends move, I want to go for long walks with the dog. I want to have enough energy to make plans and then have some confidence that I can actually do what I planned to do. If you call my condition Barneyfeathers and treat it by making me hold a raw egg between my teeth for six days without breaking it, fine. Whatever works!!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'm with you on that one Tatoo... I'd love to have my life back, just want to get the darn tests done and over with. I hate the feeling of being on hold, of no being able to enjoy the present because the future scares the h** out of me, of not being in control of my body and my life...Just want to know what is going on and what I can do about it...Nat

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'm with you on that one Tatoo... I'd love to have my life back, just want to get the darn tests done and over with. I hate the feeling of being on hold, of no being able to enjoy the present because the future scares the h** out of me, of not being in control of my body and my life...Just want to know what is going on and what I can do about it...Nat

·
Registered
693 Posts
Tatoo: I am having those same tests next Thursday.Up till now I always told myself I wouldn't have those tests unless I absolutely had to. Well I am so tired of being sick and so tired of everyone being annoyed by it. I just want to know for sure wht the he** is wrong with me . I want to know if it is fixable or do I have to surrender to the notion that this is how I have to live for the rest of my life. I really am terrifed of having the tests and what the results might be and also afraid of the drugs because ,like you, I have had all kinds of reactions. Right now I am at the point where I just can't wait to get it over with.I am having a big party this weekend and I cant even relax enough to enjoy it. Let's just hope we both ( and all others having tests)make out A OK. Lin

·
Registered
693 Posts
Tatoo: I am having those same tests next Thursday.Up till now I always told myself I wouldn't have those tests unless I absolutely had to. Well I am so tired of being sick and so tired of everyone being annoyed by it. I just want to know for sure wht the he** is wrong with me . I want to know if it is fixable or do I have to surrender to the notion that this is how I have to live for the rest of my life. I really am terrifed of having the tests and what the results might be and also afraid of the drugs because ,like you, I have had all kinds of reactions. Right now I am at the point where I just can't wait to get it over with.I am having a big party this weekend and I cant even relax enough to enjoy it. Let's just hope we both ( and all others having tests)make out A OK. Lin

1 - 19 of 19 Posts