Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is possible, but I noticed that when I have pain in my side that burns, I tend to pass burning gas(hot gas) and when I have a pain that is more of a stabbing or cramplike, then I tend to pass very loud and "combustioned" gas. I assume different types of gas will cause different types of pain in IBS sufferers?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I don't know if you can say X specific kind of pain is methane, and Y is hydrogen and Z is sulfurous gases.Gas mostly just expands the colon, and I don't think the flora switches over completely from one type of gas to another from day to day/hour to hour.There may be other things effecting the quality of the gas but I think is it that process, not the gas that makes the difference.And much of IBS pain that gets blamed on gas is from colon activity or other pain triggers. So it may be any number of things. However you can't really tell why person A has pain B right now and it may not be the same reason why person C feels something that they describe similarly to pain B. After all in things you can control when you make people have the exact same painful experience they describe the exact same thing very differently and one person will find it tolerable and another will be totally overwhelmed by the exact same stimulus.Pain is so subjective and spending much time and effort trying to dissect it isn't likely to do you much good or tell you anything about treating it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very true Kathleen. I always I assume I can figure it all out by theorizing possible effects, but in the end, it really could be different factors at different times, for different people!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.