Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was just wondering, when you went to your GI what different tests did they give you.I am thinking of seeting up an appt. because my symptoms seem to be like those of IBS. But, I was wondering what tests do they give you? I'm not familiar with any of them. Are you awake when they do these tests? Do they hurt? How long do they take? Etc.. I know that is is process of elimination, so how did they go about your tests?Either way, I'll get them done...I just like to know ahead of time. What were your experiences with tests?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi undeniable, The tests your doctor will recommend depend largely on your symptom set, with other factors (esp. age and family history) playing a large role. If you look at the top of the board there is that blue banner line that links you to the Bulletin board. Right under it is a link for medical tests that gives some info. In addition to the tests done by a GI, if you are a woman I would also say to set up an appointment with your gyn as a lot of "woman diseases" (ovarian cancer, endometriosis, etc) mimic IBS. Most doctors start off with blood work and stool samples and go from there. Good luck with the doctors!-kac

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had ultrasound, pelvic, CAT Scan, 3 different stool samples, 3 different blood tubes drawn, urine anlalysis, colonoscopy, mostly to rule out more serious illnesses, that mimic IBS. The GI doc had a special way of feeling the colon (palpation) by touching all around my belly and it tickled! Only thing I didn't have was a laporoscopy and a upper GI. I had an upper GI last year for indigestion, maybe related to this. Everything was negative, IBS is diagnosed on symptoms alone, since it's a motion of the gut thing. The only thing that was a discomfort was the colonoscopy, but they give you this really nice sedative and it only lasted about 15 min. The prep was the hardest part.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.