Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, whenever I have an attack, it's sharp, horrible pain during my bowel movement then afterwards dull pain that goes sharp every time I move. It's literally like I sit still for a few hours, not being able to move for fear of harsher pain. It also causes chills sometimes with it. Does anyone else get this?? It's so hard to explain to people when I'm like this and they don't understand why (especially at my age...I'm 21 so they attribute it to my being hungover or something). What might cause this?-Kerry, Colorado

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Do you have hemaroids. They can be bothered by a bowel movement and could be tender afterwards. Some people with flare ups of that find moving painful.There is also something called proctalgia fugax which is basically a charley horse in the rectum. http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000267.html K.------------------�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html I do not work for anyone who sells any IBS related products.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Do you have hemaroids. They can be bothered by a bowel movement and could be tender afterwards. Some people with flare ups of that find moving painful.There is also something called proctalgia fugax which is basically a charley horse in the rectum. http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000267.html K.------------------�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html I do not work for anyone who sells any IBS related products.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I know what you meen stone. I get those sharp stabbing pains too, not very often but extremely painful. One time I took a bentylol when I had this extremely sharp pain and I suddenly had to go for a bm, pain dissapeared down the toilet.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I know what you meen stone. I get those sharp stabbing pains too, not very often but extremely painful. One time I took a bentylol when I had this extremely sharp pain and I suddenly had to go for a bm, pain dissapeared down the toilet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, some answers to Qs...yes I have been diagnosed w/ IBS about 3 yrs ago. (Like most others, I am just another lumped into the large range of symptoms when nothing else could be found.) I know I don't have hemorroids either because it's an abdomen pain...like the worst stomach ache you've ever had. Any other thoughts?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, some answers to Qs...yes I have been diagnosed w/ IBS about 3 yrs ago. (Like most others, I am just another lumped into the large range of symptoms when nothing else could be found.) I know I don't have hemorroids either because it's an abdomen pain...like the worst stomach ache you've ever had. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Stone ...I'm sorry you are having so much pain & I wish I could tell you something that would help.I have excruciating cramps as well (well, excruciating to me). It feels as if a rock, about the size of a grapefruit, mis-shapen and covered in jagged, sharp edges, is moving through my intestines. If I put my hand over my lower ab. I can actually feel something moving in there, too. This is relieved by a BM (D) however. It doesn't last very long, thankfully. And so far, it only happens in the evening or it wakes me.You are not alone! I have not found any med that helps. I hope you do though..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Stone ...I'm sorry you are having so much pain & I wish I could tell you something that would help.I have excruciating cramps as well (well, excruciating to me). It feels as if a rock, about the size of a grapefruit, mis-shapen and covered in jagged, sharp edges, is moving through my intestines. If I put my hand over my lower ab. I can actually feel something moving in there, too. This is relieved by a BM (D) however. It doesn't last very long, thankfully. And so far, it only happens in the evening or it wakes me.You are not alone! I have not found any med that helps. I hope you do though..

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi KerryI know well the pain you're describing after being at the toilet as I experience the same myself during flare-ups. But you also mention "chills" and I was wondering what exactly you meant by that, if you don't mind me asking.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi KerryI know well the pain you're describing after being at the toilet as I experience the same myself during flare-ups. But you also mention "chills" and I was wondering what exactly you meant by that, if you don't mind me asking.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Did you read the post on IBS pain I posted.The brain does not release the endorphines or natural pain chemicals that normal people release for Peristaltic Reflex which is the contractions of the colon signaled from the gut up to the brain and back through serotonin a chemical neurotransmitter responcible for mood, sleep and digestion as well as other things.A contraction can be like doing 1000 situps it is a very physical thing, and you maybe getting the sweats or chills from the physical stress this puts on the body.From the UNC"IBS is not caused by structural, biochemical, or infectious abnormalities. Rather, IBS is considered a dysregulation, or abnormality of brain-bowel function. There is increased pain sensitivity and abnormal motility (increased or irregular muscular movement of the gut). In IBS, diarrhea comes from an increased rate of passage of stool through the colon. Constipation is the result of a decreased speed of stool passing through the colon. Spasms, which are very strong contractions, also occur in IBS. Increased pain sensitivity results from the increased sensitivity of the nerves. Sometimes, the nerves are so sensitive that normal contractions, even with digesting a normal meal, bring on pain or discomfort." http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/ibs2.htm ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Did you read the post on IBS pain I posted.The brain does not release the endorphines or natural pain chemicals that normal people release for Peristaltic Reflex which is the contractions of the colon signaled from the gut up to the brain and back through serotonin a chemical neurotransmitter responcible for mood, sleep and digestion as well as other things.A contraction can be like doing 1000 situps it is a very physical thing, and you maybe getting the sweats or chills from the physical stress this puts on the body.From the UNC"IBS is not caused by structural, biochemical, or infectious abnormalities. Rather, IBS is considered a dysregulation, or abnormality of brain-bowel function. There is increased pain sensitivity and abnormal motility (increased or irregular muscular movement of the gut). In IBS, diarrhea comes from an increased rate of passage of stool through the colon. Constipation is the result of a decreased speed of stool passing through the colon. Spasms, which are very strong contractions, also occur in IBS. Increased pain sensitivity results from the increased sensitivity of the nerves. Sometimes, the nerves are so sensitive that normal contractions, even with digesting a normal meal, bring on pain or discomfort." http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/ibs2.htm ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Please read my story posted under pain/gas/bloating. My main point is to not easily take a diagnosis of IBS until all and I mean all test are done. I would had lived a life of total hell if I would have done that. I also know that there will not always be a happy ending like mine is going to be but there are some out there! Don't ever give up on your health. ------------------

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Please read my story posted under pain/gas/bloating. My main point is to not easily take a diagnosis of IBS until all and I mean all test are done. I would had lived a life of total hell if I would have done that. I also know that there will not always be a happy ending like mine is going to be but there are some out there! Don't ever give up on your health. ------------------

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.