Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-,I had ibs for 2 years then for the last 6 months my health condition improved, and i was doing ok. During the last 6 months i only had to use restroom 2 times a day(once in morning and once in during lunch). The stool consistency is very bad, floating stools, difficult to pass etc,..I had no gas, no pain, no rumbling sounds. I was also able to eat lot of items with out much symptoms (Like beans, lentils, milk,. etc) So i though ok i can live like this because the symptoms are not interfering with my job life much.But for the last 4-5 days my condition worsened. First thing is rumbling sounds from stomoch. Those sounds returned back. They are very loud and i cant concentrate on my work, always worry my coworkers are going to hear those sounds.It is very embarassing.The second thing is gas returned back . I had this strange feeling of something is moving in my stomoch, but it neither goes up or down and when this happens my mind cant think anything except the something in my stomoch. After say 2-3 minutes that something in stomoch either moves or up(I am not sure) and this usually follows with rumbling sound and I feel little bit better. My point here is for the 3 minutes i cant do any thing except stand and wait for that something to move up or down. Imagine my boss comes to me to ask sth, and I am standing in my cubicle and waiting for that sth to move up or down. I cant even talk to my boss because my brain cant even think during that time,....:(I have the following questions. Your input is verymuch apprecaited.1) Do you have a regular 8 hour job, and if yes, how are u managing it with all symptoms. I am almost going to loose my job soon.If you dont have regular 8 hour job and you just stay at home then you can live happily with IBS,...2) Do you have rumbling sounds, if yes how are you maintaing in office. Did you tell your co workers about your ibs and told them that your stomoch makes noise regularly,, or Are you trying to hide your sounds??3) I see many of you here use the term IBS FLARE UP. What exactly does it mean. For example how regularly your IBS flare up occur? Does it occur one in week, once in month or once in 6 months or once in year. What is the frequency? When you dont have IBS flare up, then are you almost like a normal human or do you still behave like IBS weirdo,..Please help me,.. with your input.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi-,I had ibs for 2 years then for the last 6 months my health condition improved, and i was doing ok. During the last 6 months i only had to use restroom 2 times a day(once in morning and once in during lunch). The stool consistency is very bad, floating stools, difficult to pass etc,..I had no gas, no pain, no rumbling sounds. I was also able to eat lot of items with out much symptoms (Like beans, lentils, milk,. etc) So i though ok i can live like this because the symptoms are not interfering with my job life much.But for the last 4-5 days my condition worsened. First thing is rumbling sounds from stomoch. Those sounds returned back. They are very loud and i cant concentrate on my work, always worry my coworkers are going to hear those sounds.It is very embarassing.The second thing is gas returned back . I had this strange feeling of something is moving in my stomoch, but it neither goes up or down and when this happens my mind cant think anything except the something in my stomoch. After say 2-3 minutes that something in stomoch either moves or up(I am not sure) and this usually follows with rumbling sound and I feel little bit better. My point here is for the 3 minutes i cant do any thing except stand and wait for that something to move up or down. Imagine my boss comes to me to ask sth, and I am standing in my cubicle and waiting for that sth to move up or down. I cant even talk to my boss because my brain cant even think during that time,....:(I have the following questions. Your input is verymuch apprecaited.1) Do you have a regular 8 hour job, and if yes, how are u managing it with all symptoms. I am almost going to loose my job soon.If you dont have regular 8 hour job and you just stay at home then you can live happily with IBS,...2) Do you have rumbling sounds, if yes how are you maintaing in office. Did you tell your co workers about your ibs and told them that your stomoch makes noise regularly,, or Are you trying to hide your sounds??3) I see many of you here use the term IBS FLARE UP. What exactly does it mean. For example how regularly your IBS flare up occur? Does it occur one in week, once in month or once in 6 months or once in year. What is the frequency? When you dont have IBS flare up, then are you almost like a normal human or do you still behave like IBS weirdo,..Please help me,.. with your input.
I have a regular 10 hour a day job. But I have spent 10 months on and off disability when the D gets so bad I cannot leave my room. I have found my grumbling starts up prior to a really exposive episode. For me, antibiotics were the answer and for a long time and on and off maybe forever I must take them. GasX seems to help some people and there are "calming" meds you could get from your doctor to relax your gut. Small frequent meals can help, avoiding pop and alcohol and caffine or carbonated beverages can help, not chewing gum can help. Some people get very gasy from sugar or dairy products even fruit juice. I can eat fruit but fruit juice nearly doubles me over. I cannot eat dairy at all. Heavy carb diets can also make some more grumbly. So can taking probotics with FOS. Immodium has helped many and so has some antidepressant medications to keep the gut "happy". I am happy to just get out and about. Some day are good, some bad and some I cannot leave the house. I have made my employer aware of my condition and have a written letter from my doctor and an attorney. I doubt my employer would fire me since I have retained a lawyer. Most employers must make reasonalbe accomodations for an employee who has health issues. You do need to try and get to the bottom of what are your triggers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I believe you are having a flare-up. For the last 4 months I have been nearly perfect, eating high fiber foods and supplement, eating healthy, and having a normal BM 1 to 2 times a day, some pain here and there but it was definitely manageable. At the moment I have gone 4 days with D, severe stomach pain and nausea. I believe it was cause I was stressed that me and my BF were fighting. It just happens, don't worry, in a week or so it should calm down and you will be back to your regular cycle.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I find it very difficult to live with Ibs-d, I have had it for 10 years the last 2 years severe, I have pain, wind, bloating and stomach noises loud ones, and loose urgent unpredictable bms every day, no matter what I eat, what pills and potions I take. I have had CBT and hypnotherapy, nothing helps and I suffer, I hardly ever go out as I am afraid I wont make it to a toilet in time, which it has happened. Imodium works sometimes, sometimes it does not, I take 3-4 Imodium every day and antispasmodics.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I find it very difficult to live with Ibs-d, I have had it for 10 years the last 2 years severe, I have pain, wind, bloating and stomach noises loud ones, and loose urgent unpredictable bms every day, no matter what I eat, what pills and potions I take. I have had CBT and hypnotherapy, nothing helps and I suffer, I hardly ever go out as I am afraid I wont make it to a toilet in time, which it has happened. Imodium works sometimes, sometimes it does not, I take 3-4 Imodium every day and antispasmodics.
I had a comprehensive stool analysis - seven day of poop collecting in about 20 different vials, sent to NC in the U.S. It found that I produce NO/ZERO bifiobacterium. This is supposed to be the most important colon bacteria. I also have a strange strain of bacillius (sp) that might be causing issues. So, now I take three weeks of seven strains of bifido caps in the morning with my imodium and a few glasses of water. Then I give it a rest for one week and take my Tetracycline antibiotics. I also take D and calcium everyday, valium at night and fiber/organic. This has given me back some quality of life. I am able to work, drive for a few hours. I do not eat out and I do not drink coffee, dairy or alcohol. In fact, had two drinks and some coffee this Fourth at a party and spent the next day on the potty and in pain. I also nothing but organic - potatoes, soy, veges and meat, and no sugar or artifical sweetners. So far ENTIRE combination has brought the most relief.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.