Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been taking Zelnorm for about two years. I have suffered from ibsc for most of my life. I take Zelnorm 6mg plus one Milk of Magnesia tablet on a schedule: Tues.Thurs.Sat.Sun evenings. Always one hour before dinner. I am tied into the house on those nights as a result. My body's response to the med is unpredictable, causes diarreah, bloating, constant running into the bathroom for at least one to two hours, sometimes more. Sometimes all I get is urgency and bloating and no movement, which carries into discomfort on the following day. It affects my sleep, my well being, my psyche is battered as well as my gut. I am at the end of my rope. I will be seeing my gastro in another couple months, or I have the option of setting up an earlier appt. I don't know what options are leftfor me as far as managing this horrendous affliction. Anyone out there with a similar experience? How are you handling it?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I sympathize with you Izzy. I take Zelnorm every day and sometimes Amitiza with it. I have tried prune juice with pulp and I have to drink about 8 0z. to get any effect. Like you, I am a prisoner to my bowels and it is so unutterably distressing. My psyche too is in tatters since no one seems to understand this miserable condition. There are new and different meds out there and it sounds as though you need a change. No one should have to be tied like this and I would encourage you to see your GI doc sooner and let him know the extent to which you are a slave to this horrid routine. There is SOMETHING they can do and/or recommend for you to try. Everyone is different and what works for you may not work for someone else and vice versa. If your GI doc doesn't listen...change docs and get one who will. There is help, we just have to find the right combination. If you haven't already tried it, do try the prune juice with pulp. It does make a bit of gas and can cause diarrhea, but you just have to find the right amount. It is more predictable than Milk of Magnesia. nogo

·
Registered
116 Posts
Izzy,I take 500mg magnesium oxide at bedtime and 125mg magnesium oxide before breakfast. This has cured for me a stubborn case of C and has done so for more than a year. I would recommend you try these numbers out for the next 5 days. If no results then increase the morning dose to 250mg.

·
Registered
150 Posts
sometimes zelnorm helps me and other times not. If I take an amitiza and a zelnorm together. that is often effective, especially if I take a big glass of prune juice with pulp as well. Sometimes it is too much and other times it doesn't work at all. That is, however, my best chance for success. Amitiza may be wonderful for you. I hope you can try it. nogo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your replies. They are much appreciated. I am going to try all your suggestions, slowly and carefully. My gastro never mentioned Amitza, I'm going to ask her about it,I don't know why she hasn't. Re: question about Zelnorm helping me or not, all I can say is it works most of the time, but with a vengence and keeps me running in and out of the bathroom for the entire evening. When it doesn't work it still sends me into the bathroom on unproductive frustrating trips that end in considerable abdominal discomfort that lasts into the next day. The schedule I am on, (4 nights a week) keeps me from doing many activities I want to do. Again, thank you all so much, it helps to know that I am not alone! I'll let you know what happens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.