Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am confused,I think my food is not being digested properly. Yesterday, i ate a bit of tuna with some small bits of red pepper in it (around 2.30pm) but then by 11.30pm at night, undigested red pepper is coming out. Surely i can't be getting the correct nutrients if things are coming out whole? Tomato and other things also come out whole. All salad, and normally within a fewhours of eating it. is this normal?I have been worried that it is not IBS that is bothering me for a while. I do not have enough money for food intolerance testing, so im not sure what to do from here.What do you all think?Muppet.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It is normal for pieces of vegetable that go into the stomach in one piece to come out the other end in one piece. The only thing that breaks it apart is your teeth. We aren't like birds that use stones to grind stuff down further in the stomach, so if you want to break up the raw veggies you have to chew them completely.Scientists use the undigested bits of food in feces to figure out what people and animals eat.The timing suggests that it still could be taking the usual time through the small intestine. As long as you are not losing weight all out of proportion to the calories you are taking in I wouldn't worry about it.K.

G

·
Muppet - panic ye not. I nearly died when I "expelled" red pepper - thought I was bleeding to death, until I had a prod (god, how gross, sorry). Its not uncommon as Kath says, particularly with us poor souls with "grumpy" colons. Found summat like Ali Baba's magic carpet t'other day - god knows what that was, best not too examine too closely I thought.Good luckSue, Manchester

G

·
Jools - I come from a family of MEGA slow eater and MEGA fast talkers - My hubby Paul is from a family of shop keepers so always bolted his food mega-fast. Was completely thrown when I was daintily chewing my roast first time I met them and my future mum-in-law was furiously doling out trifle as I was half way thru the main course - how RUDE. I'm still a slow eater but I have IBS and lots of fun little bits in my poo - go figure!!Sue

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.