Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed for awhile now that I do not digest vegetables very well. Asparagus, Lettuce, Peppers, Tomatoes,etc. I almost always see these kind of vegetables in my stool. Is this a bad thing?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
No many, many people can see various parts of veggies and other things in their stool. And that would include folks without IBS as well.Some parts of some veggies are real hard to break down is all. Also watch how well you are chewing your food... and the speed at which you are eating. These things can help you masticate the veggies more efficiently.But really???....Examining one's stool isn't all that prodcutive with IBS as you can bet almost every imaginable stool is possible with IBS.I wouldn't worry about it.All the best

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
With looser stools it is easier to see, but no human breaks down the tougher parts of veggies or fruit in the GI tract.The only place you break those up is with the teeth and whatever size those tough parts are when they go down is how they will come out. Now you do leech some things out of them, but you can't break down the tough parts. They do not dissolve and have to be ground up. We have no place other than the mouth to grind food.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's not a bad thing, for as others have suggested you can only break these foods down so much.On the flip side, many of those items you listed are known IBS triggers for a lot of people. There's even some going theories as to why (http://sites.google.com/site/annerwright/avoiding-cholinesterase-inhibitors). Some people seem more sensitive then others.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.