Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought Digestive Advantage and wanted to try it. But the box warns that you will feel gassy and bloated the first few days. Anyone know if you can take gas relief pills along with it to counteract this? I really want to start taking Digestive Advantage, since you need to take it for a month to see if it works, but I also don't want to be all gassy when I go out with my friends this week (something I keep putting off and can not get out of ya know?). What about continuing to take Calcium while taking Dig. Advan? Good? Bad? Unknown? And now a question about Trigger foods that I'm sure other people wonder about: We all seem to have different trigger foods YET I keep reading and finding similar ones. I know anything greasy or fried or too much caffeine will set me off. Same goes for things with too much sugar and for some reasons something in Fritos! I'm also slightly lactose intolerant so too much dairy is baaad. But yesterday I read that someone can't eat Bananas, whereas I find bananas to be a really nice, bland, filing option when I can't think of anything else to eat. So my question is: what is IN these trigger foods that set off our stomachs and is there a rhyme or reason to which things are worse for different people? Does it have to do with food allergies? Or just some unknown food sensitivity?? I'm just really curious. Is it just me, or wouldnt it be great if we could give up eating? take a pill every day to kill hunger pains and just not ever have to worry about ingesting nourishment again? blegh.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Some of the general food triggers are how a given food effects all human beings.Greasy, fatty foods set off a bigger gastrocolic reflex than others. Stimulants are stimulate the colon no matter who takes them.Some fruits may cross react with some pollen allergies and some can cross react in people with latex allergies.Only some people are intolerant to lactose or fructose, but those aren't allergies, but a different metabolism of some carbohydrates. But others like sorbitol aren't digested by any human, but only some people even with IBS are bothered by a small increase in gas volume.Some people get gassy from probiotics, others do not. I can't tell how much you will be one of them. You could try gas-X with every meal to see if that helps (or anything else with simethicone).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a hard time figuring out what is Really making you smell, or what is just helping the smell meing expelled through your body.Lets take an example: Garlic; it's supposed to be very good for you, since it kills alot of harmful, but it obviously makes you smell worse. Is this effect because you expell more bad substances because the garlic is helping you, or is it because the garlic itself is making the conditition worse?We need more statistics!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have found that Phillps Probiotics work better than Digestive Advantage. You also need to take it for a month to get the full effect. One capsule at night.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts