Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Digestive Advantage IBS, or GAS formula?

5K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Kathleen M. 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a preference on what to take for gas? Digestive Advantage has two products IBS, and the gas formula. The gas formula has milk, and sucralose, (which I thought caused more gas.) Does anyone use either, or reccommend one over the other?

#2 ·
quote:Does anyone have a preference on what to take for gas?
I am personal not a fan of Digestive Advantage for the reasons you mentioned.Somewhat recent studies suggest that Bifidobacterium infantis 35624 might help in the gas department, among others. This is sold under the brand name Align.My anedoctal experience and also some studies with Saccharomyces boulardii suggest that it helps with gas as well.

#3 ·
I've tried both the IBS and Gas versions. Neither of them have helped me very much.To be honest, I use beano to get rid of the gas more than the Digestive Advantage stuff, and it helps me a lot more. If you haven't tried it already, I would suggest doing so. Oh, and the Digestive Advantage people talk a lot about how their stuff has been "clinically proven" to work, but I have yet to experience any positive effects from either of those two products you were wondering about. My advice would be to save your money and try something else: even something like activated charcoal, which I have not personally used, but which I heard is very good in treating gas. Although I heard you have to be careful with that because it absorbs a lot of things in the bowel as well, including nutrients from foods.

#5 ·
Which one is dairy.My box says,Erythritol Lactobacillus Cultures (not dairy, the bacteria the ferment dairy, but they are NOT dairy)LysinePlasdoneSteric AcidNatural and Artificial FlavoringMicrocrystaline Cellulose (why my doctor thinks it maybe a problem for some people, but that ain't dairy either, just a prebiotic kinda thang which can be bothersome for some IBSers)Malic AcidMagnesium Sterate,Silicone DioxideSucrolose.Maybe I'm missing something and you can tell me which one of these is derived only from dairy?Now it works fine for me, but I tolerate any of the prebiotics they put in any of the probiotics. They shouldn't be much of a problem once you get enough of the probiotics going, but until then they could increase gas.The problem with activated charcol is it only works to absorb gas when dry and once you take it, it isn't dry. It can absorb nutrients you need so you can get some harm from it.Better to try Align or a non-prebiotic containing probiotic than activated charcoal.K.

#13 ·
Here is the ingredient list for that from the walgreens website (that usually gets it pretty close on this)Inulin , Cellulase , Hemicellulase , Invertase , Ganeden Lactobacillus Cultures , Stearic Acid , Carrageenan , Citric Acid It has some different prebiotics in it, I'm not sure if those are wheat or fish derivedI'm guessing the inulin, or the cellulose's may be from the wheat as it is plant derived. I'm not sure what Mile Wheat is, could that be Milo, Wheat. Milo is another grain? I can't seem to find what mile wheat is with google.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrageenan carrageenan is derived from seaweed so could have sea creature contamination issues that someone who is very allergic to fish may need to know about.

#15 ·
Ah, if it has that milk thing in the allergies it may be one of the additives comes from milk.That is an ALLERGY thing not a LACTOSE thing. Its about people who are allergic to milk protiens. Allergic reactions can occur from very small trace amounts of the protien, and sometimes even stuff that they didn't put it in, if processed on the same machine as something else with that in it has to have the warning as that teeny tiny trace when they switch from one product to another can send someone to the hospital with anaphalactic shock. Lactose needs to be in there at more than a tiny trace to cause a reaction. You can't make a huge volume of gas from a few molecules of lactose.K.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.