Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HiI was just wondering whether anyone has had any success with digestive enzymes? And which ones? As I'm on an elimination diet which excludes gluten, soya, dairy (ex.eggs), and no protein and carbs in the same meal. I'm also a vegetarian. So I thought it would help me a lot to be able to eat some 'fake' meat now and again. But so far not much luck with the enzymes I'm using. Has anyone been able to eat what they want, or even some of what they want on a digestive enzyme supplement?Thanks for your help

·
Registered
34 Posts
They've worked for me for some time, but I kept eating the wrong foods and smoking so the effect went away and now they dont work anymore. Now I try kelp supplements and L-Tyrosine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which brand of enzymes were you taking? Apparently some enzymes support a limited diet and others allow you to eat the wrong foods for elimination of a restricted diet. I need enzymes for the latter. Do the kelp supplements help you to eat anything or is it just support?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
In theory the enzyme in Beano should digest the sugars in the fake meat (soy) and beans that vegetarians use for protien.I'm not sure any random plant really has those enzymes in them as they usually aren't eating soy burgers. They do have some enzymes but do different things with them than animals do.Lactaid will help if you need to digest lactose because you do not anymore.There are lots of things nothing but the bacteria in your colon digest and no enzyme supplement is going to digest all that for you, and some IBSers are sensitive to gas levels no matter what the gas comes from.Enzymes that include pancreatin (which usually is from an animal so some vegetarians will not take those) do seem to help with bloating because it also is a signal that animals use. We don't respond to the signals one plant cell sends another plant cell but can react to ones that are used in animals for one part of the body to signal another.Generally, I find much of the advertising for digestive enzymes to have very little to back it up and greatly over-promise what they could possibly do inside a person.

·
Registered
83 Posts
For myself, I found rice to be a good safe food to eat. When rice digests in the body, it does not produce gas. Sometimes, I fix rice and hamburger, or rice and chicken. I eat rice at every meal. I buy Japanese sushi rice at the Asian food store. It has short kernel and soft when cooked.For enzymes, I have had good luck the Carb Digest from Kirkman Labs. http://www.kirkmanlabs.com/[email protected]I also like their probiotics: http://www.kirkmanlabs.com/[email protected]I get probiotics from: http://www.customprobiotics.com/I hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your responses, they were very helpful. So has any of you been able to eat your trigger foods now you are using enzymes? Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts