Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can taking digestive enzymes for long term be more harmful than good? By long term I mean about 5 years. If there is harm caused then what goes wrong in the body if anything.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
For prescription enzymes, I can't think of any problem.For the ones at a health food store, I suppose it's possible they could contain some impurities. Also, I'd avoid ones with betaine (hydrochloric acide), just in case they actually contain acid.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I think hanna is wondering if using digestive enzymes causes the body to shut down producing any digestive enzymes of its own over a long term period of time.I know that some hormones can cause this effect, but usually kick back into production within a certain amount of time after discontinuing taking them orally. I don't know about digestive enzymes, although I've wondered the same thing.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:wondering if using digestive enzymes causes the body to shut down producing any digestive enzymes of its own over a long term period of time
It might do this every time you take them (for pancreatic juice ones). But once you stop, the effect should go away.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a little clarification on my query.Can too much enzymes actually damage any organ in the body, example taking too much pancreatin cause any damage to your pancreas?The trouble is knowing if your own pancreas are producing enough enzymes. If they are producing too little then of course you need to supplement, but if your pancreas are producing the normal amounts and you supplement then can too much pancreatin in your body or specifically gi tract cause damage to it in any way example on a cellular level.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Can too much enzymes actually damage any organ in the body, example taking too much pancreatin cause any damage to your pancreas?
I don't see any obvious harm from an enzyme "overdose".The only thing I could imagine is that you might artificially engage negative feedback mechanisms in the digestive process.The only reason for anyone here to be taking enzymes, Creon specifically, would be treat bloating because IBSers have completly normal digestion and absorption and otherwise have no use for enzyme supplements.Some enzymes supplements may contain betaine, which is hydrochloric acid. Almost nobody needs that and that could be harmful, especially if it gets exposed to the esophagus.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts