Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dilaudid I've read many posts of people wishing their doctor would prescribe pain killers to cope with bad days.I know I need it some days - I resisted taking it for the last 2 years. I didn't even ask for it. The ER recommended asking my doc for the fentynal patch again (I was on it for a year and I've been off it for about 10 months), but my doctor insisted that I need something stronger - so Dilaudid is my last resort.I know most people would give their right arm to have a doctor take their pain so seriously, but its too easy with some doctors to get whatever you want, and a lot of what you don't.So I sit here looking at the unopened bottle, suffering and wondering "what if...." I'm 39, the kids are leaving the nest, instead of beginning the rest of my life, all I can think is that I've reached the end of the line - after Dilaudid there is no where else to go.Pain killers like this don't just provide relief, they steal hope, when a doctor gives you this, he is openly and forcefully admitting there is nothing left that can be done for you.Be careful what you wish for.......

·
Registered
830 Posts
oh honey be careful with that stuff. we're all here to listen to your woes and believe me, you are not alone. just keep talking to us here before you do anything awful, ok? we're rooting for you.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Are you D or C or both? I alternate and am STILL in constant pain. Tried oxycontin from a friend--no relief. I don't eat solid food until very late in the evening as the pain gets so bad I just go to bed.My doctors insist I'll "get better" in time.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I alternate and was given diluadid 2mg for pain from an unrelated major abdominal surgery. In my experience narcotics dont help with the spasms/contractions or gas, at least not for long. I'm very fortunate as I am not in severe pain on a regular basis but my IBS does cause me to have a stomach ache every day of varying intensity.Clairess-I think it sounds to me, like your DR doesnt "get it" and is blindly prescribing a pain killer for the type of pain that doesnt really respond to them well. Would it be possible for you to find a different DR who would be more willing to work with you, maybe try a low dose antidepressant, if you havent already?I understand how bad it sucks to have pain along with altered bowel habits that interferes with life.You havent reached the end of your life. You are young and have good things to look forward to. I know what it feels like to feel down in the dumps from this IBS thing. Its at times very depressing cause its chronic.Please try and find someone to try and help you more than the DR who gave you the diluadid. I wish I could help more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've tried all the antidepressants, most success was elivil (8 years) I have a GI doctor and he has agreed with my GP.From the little research I did, dilaudid is more effective for "biliary colic" than morphine - who knows, probably it won't make any difference

·
Registered
846 Posts
I was on dilaudid in the emergency room when the pain was only in my sigmoid colon (now its ascending, transverse, and descending) in Dec. 2004. It only mildly relieved my sigmoid colon pain. I ended up having a nervous breakdown and was hospitalized as a drug seeker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.