Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking my 7 year old daughter to a play in a nearby big city. That means a 40 minute train ride, 3 hour show and 40 minute return train ride. Kinda worrisome for someone who gets D. I know that the theater has bathrooms, but they are crowded before and after the show and during intermission. It would be best not to have to use them, but how practical is that. I could go during the play if needed but that leaves my 7 year old sitting alone.Anyway, I was just thinking what the safest dinner would be. I am thinking of just plain spaghetti with butter-- filling but not something upsetting. Rice? I know bananas are supposed to be good but they are heavy.Any advice?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Fiber absorbs water. That is all it does to the stool.It is true that if you eat 40 grams of fiber you will have more stool than if you eat 10 grams, but a few grams here or there is not going to make you have a lot more bowel movements than you would without it. A bowel movement might be a bit bigger, but usually you don't go from once a day to 3 or more times a day just from replacing white rice with brown for a meal.With stool consistency if the stool is too dry fiber can help keep water in the stool. When there is excess water sometimes the right amount of fiber will help absorb that and make the stool more solid than it would be otherwise.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If it was me I would just fast. I don't know how well you do without food for an extended amount of time, but whenever I am feeling particularly anxious and worried about my bowel situation that makes me feel better.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I fast. I eat only what I know does not bother me at all. . . fresh fruit, grapes, oranges, bananas and fiber bars and plain meat. I do nut trust grains, coffee, dairy or any type of bread. The fiber bars are "organic greens" so no grain or soy. I find staying hydrated helps and I take to or three imodium the night before or morning of the bid day. This, so far, has not failed me. Stay away from any alcohol.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I fast. I eat only what I know does not bother me at all. . . fresh fruit, grapes, oranges, bananas and fiber bars and plain meat. I do nut trust grains, coffee, dairy or any type of bread. The fiber bars are "organic greens" so no grain or soy. I find staying hydrated helps and I take to or three imodium the night before or morning of the bid day. This, so far, has not failed me. Stay away from any alcohol.
Thanks for the suggestions. I ate plain spaghetti noodles with butter and a few bananas. No problem. I should also mention I took one full Immodium before going to bed the night before and a half in the morning. Immodium works okay for me, but it makes me feel like total ####-- headache, sinus pressure, lethargy. I guess it's a trade off. What do you want more.Watching the play it amazed me. These actors preform night after night-- I guess they don't have IBS. They really couldn't run off stage if they needed to. It must be nice not to have to worry about our problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.