Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if they have tried to get disability due to IBS? It is becoming increasinly difficult for me to get thru a day without making it to the bathroom in time. That in itself is enough stress to bother my intestines. Thanks for you reply.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Amanda, This subject comes up quite often on this board. It is virtually impossible to get disablity for IBS. I recommend discussing this with your doctor. If he/she realizes that your condition is that serious, perhaps it will spur her/him into action. Do you know how to search on the board? Click on Search from the menu near the top of the screen and enter disablity for the search criteria. Tons of threads on this, but the outlook for it is bleak. What have you tried to manage your symptoms at work? What medicines are you on? Have you tried hypnotherapy or other forms of counseling? Are you officially diagnosed with IBS? These are all questions that need to be addressed before you consider not working. I hope things work out for you. Let us all know how you are doing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have heard it is tough getting disability for IBS. I am sure the people that make the decisions have never been caught in a public place "loosing it in their pants!" I have tried various meds - Nulev, Ibsacol, Imodium, Aloe Vera juice, and watching my diet. However, there have been too many times that I just could not get to a toilet in time. I also wear Depends to work. The whole thing is humiliating - and I am always in a panic that it will happen again - especially at work. I cant even concentrate on my work. I am going to try to see if I can go to a psychologist to find out more. Maybe I can get stress disability easier than IBS disability.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've heard it's easier to get disablity for depression or anxiety than IBS. You should also try going on an antidepressent or antianxiety. Paxil has worked really well for me. Others have tried Effexor, Celexa, and others that have worked really well. NuLev did nothing for me, but Bentyl (dicyclomine) works wonders.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Antonio: Thanks for your response to my post. The only other thing my doctor has given me is Effexor and it did nothing at all for me. In fact, it almost seemed to make the IBS worse. I am going to the doctor again soon & I will ask her about the meds you mentioned. I also drink aloe vera juice & take a vitamen called PeppermintZ - both seem to help, but dont cure. Nulev helps a little with different foods that may be a problem - it also helps a nervous stomack - but still no cure. I have had all the usual tests - cultures and colonoscopy. Can you tell me what causes mucus in the stools? Also, what do people do about having "accidents" in public places or at their place of employment? Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Amanda...I completely understand what you are talking about. I had to quit my job about 1 1/2 yrs. ago because it became too unbearable. I have had to deal with it and try diets instead of medications because I no longer have and can afford insurance. I have been looking into getting disability but in my case, it is VERY difficult because I haven't been able to go to the doctor because I have not been able to afford it. I don't think that this is right! I had to make the decision to continue to work, have insurance and be able to go the doctor in which I never found anything that worked anyway or quit my job and stay home to keep close to a bathroom. It became entirely tooooo embarrassing having to leave work because I couldn't make it to the bathroom. It made me feel like a 3 or 4 year old child, having to tell my boss that I had to leave and why....what makes it so hard is being an adult and not being able to control this... . This is not just a physical disease but also a mental one....I will be continuing to look into disability and if I find anything I will definitely leave a post

·
Registered
350 Posts
I suggest trying the Bentyl. It has really helped me. I take one to two pills a day and that's all I need. Without them I sit at my desk (or at home) and rock from the pain.Accidents are tough. I've not had one (knock on wood), but to ensure against them I always scope out the bathrooms. What's the nearest one, what's the quickest way to get there. My boss and my coworkers know that I have health problems and that I may need to "Bolt" occasionally. That makes things easier for me. I also eat light while at work. I've increased my soluble fiber intake (Crunchy Oat Bread is great!) and take a calcium pill daily. Some people keep a change of clothes with them just in case. I think the fear of having an attack in public is acutally worse than the attack itself. That's why Paxil has helped me so much. It's funny, it increased my IBS symtoms in the beginning, but I stuck with it and after a couple of weeks things got better. After 6 weeks I saw great improvement and things still are improving. My diet during the work week consists of two slices of oatmeal toast for breakfast with Spray Butter, a turkey sandwich on oatmeal bread for lunch. No mayo or cheese (mayo does me in like ou can't beleive!) and a bananna for snack. Bannanas really help with Diahrreah. Just one a day is fine. Two a day is okay, but you don't want to eat too many. They can screw up the electrolytes in your body.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Forgot to say:Mucous in the stool is caused by irritation in the intestinal track. It's a response to the spasming you feel as well as certain foods that can irritate the stomach lining. Coffee, dairy, potatoes, and fatty foods will increase the mucous as well as your pain and other problems. Fried potatoes are a real no-no for most of us. Those'll send everything into overdrive! Check out 'Eating for IBS' by Heather Von [I don't remember the rest of her name]. She's got a real good diet plan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have tried Bentyl and I know that it has worked wonders for many people, but not for me...I guess that is just my luck. I started taking it and after a couple of weeks my symptoms got much better but it seemed like the longer I took it my symptoms all came back with a vengence. I have really cut back on the food I eat and the best thing that I have found for me is drinking lots of water. I will definitely check out any listings of foods to eat and not to eat. I have received several different listings from doctors and some have contradicted the others...any help would greatly be appreciated.....thanks!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was recently out of work for two months for stress from IBS. You may want to talk to your doc and bring up the stress factor. See if you can be put out of work for a little bit until you get your condition under control. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks so much for all your replies to my questions. I really feel like I am on the edge most of the time. The stress causes IBS & the IBS causes stress. (a vicious circle). I am going to try the "stress" route and go to a psychologist & hope for disability. I have been an outgoing social person all of my life - but in the last few years I have become a recluse. Scared to death to be out in public. Trying to maintain a job under these conditions is near impossible. It is hard enough finding a job at all in this small town - but now I have to find one that is very close to a toilet!! I just started working for a company that employs mainly men. There is one unisex toilet for about 20 employees. It is only a matter of time before I have an embarrasing accident at work. I havent yet passed my probation - so I hesitate to tell my employer about my problem. I have years of experience as an office manager - yet now I can hardly concentrate on anything but when (and how) will I be able to get to a toilet. I wish I could afford to take off for a few months, but it's impossible. My medical insurance keeps going up every 6 months. And with this problem - I sure need insurance. It is a shame that more doctors, employers & disability experts cant take a more serious view of IBS. I think they should all have a diarrhea accident out in public. They will understand there can be no greater humiliation. I have been trapped in public bathrooms, in cars, on a date, and in department stores covered with feces. I guess I will have to find a larger purse to carry a change of clothes. I do wear Depends when I know I may have a problem day. They are irritating and uncomfortable and difficult to remove when they have been filled - but it's the only way. I have tried various meds - but as people have posted here - each med seems to work differently on different people. Does anyone use Imodium on a regular basis?

·
Registered
338 Posts
When I was having D alot I wore big maxi pads with wings, the real long kind. That would help me enough until I got to a bathroom. They might be more comfortable than the depends. Now here is some site addies on disability!www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/workta.htmwww.ssa.govwww.disablilityinfo.gov/I became an expert on finding information on disablities when my husband became disabled with a spine disease after an injury he substained at work. Good Luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.