Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there have IBS so severe that they considered theirself disabled? There is no way that I can go to work with this problem. My doctors cant get it under control. I just wonder if anyone has actually qualified for Disability due to IBS? I am currently enrolled in College and I miss most of my classes, but because I have a documented medical condition from my doctor, the school can not count my absences against me....What else can someone do?!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Shelley, Do a search in this forum using the key 'disability' to get more information. This issue is brought up alot. Hang in there and don't let this thing beat you! Sending love and support your way!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Shelley, Yes, the search is a good idea. From what I've read, SS tends to grant disability for the depression that often accompanies IBS, but does not consider IBS to be disabling enough itself. I've heard several people claim to get SS for IBS, but they have never answered my questions when I try to get more info about it. I've come to believe that most people with IBS who get disability get it for the depression, not for the IBS symptoms.

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
this whole area is changing so fast that old rumors are old rumors. there is a new federal office for disabilities and most colleges have an office or program for the disabeled. 5% of the people who responded to a survey done by IFFGD are receiving disability. I just posted some news about what the APA offers for psychologists and students but I think other professions might well follow soon, especially as the new ADA act provides funds for this kind of thing. I think it would be a good idea for someone to put all this information on the bb in one place?tom

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi, I just want to say that I have thrown the towel in so to speak and filed for a disability for my IBS and associated panic attacks, post traumatic stress and I also have developed a tremor (benign essential tremor) in my left hand/arm/foot. My tremor also effects my getting my words out sometimes, I think because I tremor thru my body sometimes and for whatever it is worth, a number of things can create that tension and I feel like I'm stuttering, is the best I can describe it. My tremor effects my right hand in fine motor movements, like handwriting. That all being said, I was turned down for disability already and have appealed it. It has been at least 2-3 months now and I have not heard one way or the other. I guess if I get turned down again, I will contact a lawyer to try to file for this. I really hate to do this, but find myself so stressed with my IBS and now a tremor to go with it. I can feel tied up in knots when I even try to go for a job interview. Between my stomach and my tremor being agitated under the stress at that moment, who would really hire me?? I'll let you all know if I am successful. I have not worked for 6 years due to the stress of my IBS problems. It is so embarrassing. Even my social life is under conditions. Mostly, I need to drive in my car to where I am going and I need to feel free to leave a situation that becomes too stressful for me. It surely puts bars on your world. Any suggestions for any alternative to filing for disability? I am married and am 56 years old.Brenda

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hi Brenda,I wish you good luck in getting the disability. I have heard that it is almost impossible to get without the aid of a lawyer. The judge likes to see you are hiring one of his people! Either way I do want you to get the disability and also it can be retroactive i.e. those last 6 years!All the best,LouLou

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
from what I have read here on the BB this does seem to be a matter of location in some ways in that some areas of the country are more medieval in their thinking than others. It also may be that some physicians are less current in their knowledge of IBS. i think it would be helpful if some organization or group would put out some good informaytion on this. maybe the new office of disability has something on this.tom

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've heard that the social security office always turns your first application for a disability down. I can imagine them opening the mail, and saying, "Oh here's a stupid application for disability, the nerve!", and pitching it into the circular file. Anyway, I know someone who had a kidney, pancreas transplant several years ago and the denied his application for a disability too. It takes a long time to adjust to these new organs and your anti-rejection meds and all, yet they deemed him able to work at the time somehow. It took 2 years for him to get a disability and when it happened, he was never seen by a doctor, just his lawyer went to court for him and that's when it happened. Yet I know someone else who got it for depression alone the first time she applied. Go figure. All I know is it is hard enough to come to this decision as I would rather work, but it builds up such stress for me that it can put me into a major depression, as it has in the past, if I'm not careful. Thanks for you guys support in this matter.Brenda

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am in the process for applying for disability now,I live in Ohio, and I am sure it's not going to be easy, but what ever is? I have tried to work, different jobs different shifts. I am being treated for depression and anxiety, along with of course IBS...Maybe I'll have a shot at it. I go to see my doctor Friday, I am going to inform him of what I plan on doing, maybe he can help me or give me hints on what to say or do. No matter where I work or what shift I'm on, I still can't do it, If the IBS doesn't act up, the panic and anxiety does, then the depression sets in because you feel so helpless and no one ever understands.I'll let you guys no what happens..good luck to you all...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Loraine,Please let me know how you are doing with this. I live in Colorado.(Used to live in Medina,Ohio)My Dr. says there is no way a person with IBS can qualify for disability. I am 57 years old and can't work anymore because of IBS

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
there is a lot of inaccurate info on disability based largely on rumors. my doctor told me to apply. iknow I'm being turned down based on depression but have been told by Social Security that IBS definitely qualifies as a legitimate disabling condition based on the SSI Blue Book which is available on the internet. At this point it is a medical opinion. I have also heard that in many states any disability application is turned down the first time. I actually hope they turn it down as this means I can get help finding a job I can do which I think is one of the provisions of the new ADA legislation.tom

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
it's one of a number of chronic and debilitating gastrointestinal disorders. I don't know the page but I think it's in section 5, possibly. it actually gives a good explanation of when these disorders are considered disabliing. If you can't find it, I'll look it up and post a link as it's public information.tom

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lorraine, I hope you can get your disability. I have had the exact problems you have with your IBS and work problems it causes. I talked to my cousin the other day, she lives in Texas and she got a disability based on her depression. She does not have IBS. So with my panic attacks and documented episodes of depression, I don't see why I shouldn't get the disability. She got turned down the first time she said and then she appealed it and got her disability. Do you or anyone else find that you also have been traumatized by your IBS and that more problems are born of the trauma from your IBS. Like more panic attacks, more obsessing over your situations like going out to dinner with someone or maybe trying to use public transportation.Brenda

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I have had IBS for about 10 years but got worse in 1997 and I have been in and out of work since then. I filed for SS in 1999 was denied tried to work didn't happen. I have been out of work since August 99, needless to say my finances are messed up from the floor up just like my body. I file again-denied, and was just denied for reconsideration which I filed for IBS and depression I even saw one of their doctors for depression, she said I have major depression but I was denied. But I won't give up. I have all the normal symptoms of IBS and then some. I am out of my house today at the library trying to find help, but I spend approx. 22 hours a day in my bed, I am tired of the pain and of people judging the severity of my pain and anguish. I have worked all my life and enjoyed it so why do they think I prefer to stay in my house and not have a life or friends. Not just me but all of us who suffer. Maybe we need to write our congressman! I have IBS, GERDS, Rheumatoid Arthtritis, Cutaneous Vasculitis, Migraines, Depression, Insomnia, etc.and a twitch in my lip sometimes when I talk, I have thought of suicide, but can't do it, I am still here in this world because of the Love and Grace of the LORD GOD ALMIGHTY! I am 48 years old and if they can find me a job where I can go in when I have a good day I will gladly go, ooh but right now there is no such thing as a good day. I'm sorry I am pretty upset about being ill, having doctors who do not care and then to have people question my illness. WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN?

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
if you've been denied and tried to work but can't I'd reapply. they usually deny the first time and it sounds like you're in the same position as I am. they think if you can work a little you're not disabled.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.