Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at this book today after I had special ordered it last week. Luckily I wasn't required to buy it.Those of you who've seen my previous posts know I've had good luck so far with a sugar-free diet, including no fruits or juices. This book is heavily dependent on fruit, it's in almost every recipe. In the introductory chapters it says "sugar is not an IBS trigger", but on this board I've seen at least 3 studies posted showing IBS patients studied did get pain from sugars, usually fructose and sorbitol.It says red meat and dark meat poultry are IBS triggers. They may be for the author, but I eat them with usually no symptoms. A lot depends on how they're prepared, I eat broiled. It's also heavily dependent on soy, which it uses as a meat replacement. I'm allergic to soy. But soy raises estrogen (not just in middle-aged women, in everyone), and has been linked to thyroid disease as well as hormonal probolems. I would not recommend anyone eating tofu with each meal. It would be better for vegetarians to eat beans, whole grains and rice as their staples.The recipes are also for the most part long and complicated. I wouldn't mind cooking if I had time, but I don't, I'm looking for convenience.I think I'll do better by modifying regular recipes - I'm already in the habit because of my soy allergy.

G

·
I, on the other hand, have had fantastic success with the "Eating for IBS" cookbook! My wife (who has "normal" GI functions) and I have tried more than a dozen of the recipes so far and we both love the results.True, the preparation is a bit time consuming, but we both enjoy the kitchen and working in it together. Once again, the axiom "Different strokes for different folks" holds true.
------------------Focus on Jesus www.ourchurch.com/member/d/dennischurch

G

·
i haven't actually read the book but i imagine that it shares a problem that i've seen in other cookbooks for ibs. the autor probably makes the assumption that ibs is a unitary problem because that's the way the media and dieticians may have come to think of it, but there are different kinds of ibs and it can occur along with other problems and they are finding out that men can have both ibs-c and ibs-d, contrary to what many health information sources say. Since Heather has ibs herself, i would have thought she knew better. you might also want to look into the possibility that you have a food allergy or intolerance along with ibs.tom

G

·
Also don't forget that Heather wrote the book with quite a lot of input from the people on this board.I'm sure Heather would agree that her recipes may not be the answer for everyone, but I think it would help more of us than the average IBS cookbook because of the vast array of experience Heather has drawn on.Julie------------------*** Seeking accurate information in the fight against IBS ***

·
Registered
273 Posts
I found her book to be of great help,especially in regards to finding your fiber,and that in itself can be, without my doubt, to be one of the most important ways to find your comfort zone with this IBS! I took the ingredients list and knowing what works for me~if you are new to IBS,it will be trial and error,no book, in the world can tell you what is good or bad for you,so I went with foods, I know don't bother me, low-residue and a bit of high residue foods, and came up with a scenerio that works for me. You have to understand, that sometimes too a food that is bothersome, can be tolerated in a combination of dietary ingredients~I have found that to be true. For instance,I cannot drink applejuice, if I am having a normal bowel movement day,but, if I get constipated I can drink a cup and it it does not bother me and helps, with having a normal movement. I have learned not to write off foods in my diet,because it is the combo, not the food and or quantity it this IBS game,I have continually learn to master. "Eating for IBS" was a pleasure to read and further help me in my battleground, that I am winning. Best wishes and hopes~

·
Registered
611 Posts
As someone who can't eat red meat, dairy, soy, wheat, corn, raw veggies, most raw fruits, fats/oil, or cups of juice (I get the yucky fructose stomachache)... most of these cookbooks don't work for me. However, I have found some that offer helpful substitution tips. That's how I operate. And it may take 2-3 preparations to improve the texture and taste to my standards, but I take the time! But yeah, I understand... IBS is so varied, it's really hard to nail down something that everyone can agree with.Regards, Lilymaid

G

·
I found her book to be very well written but geared mainly for IB-D people. If you are IBS-D, as I am this dietary approach is way off base. I am nutrition nut and her diet plan would get me into so much trouble. In general, fiber is very important, but the vast majority of us cannot handle much sugar, including fruit, and I for one cannot handle much wheat. Her claim that the only safe bread is sour dough, maybe for her, but not for me.I think this book is quite subjective but I find her research to be lacking and her advise to be quite narrow minded considering the complexity of IBS. I also found her to be quite negative re: medicines, i.e., lotronex or zelnorm. She seems to believe that diet alone can cure/control IBS - this is so untrue that it really leads me to believe that she may either have a mild case of IBS or not have it at all.------------------Demi

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.