Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have IBS-C with horrid gas and slow motility. If I don't work at it, I only go to the bathroom once every two weeks. I have trie just about everything suggested by my doctor and this board. I am presently taking about 2 tsp of Perdiem a day. My doctor would like to see me off of it, but nothing else helps.(this only works a few time a week) I recently tried Uncle Sam's cereal. People have said how potent it is. I eat 1 cup of it with no results. I fact, it plugs me up more and adds to an already bad gas problem. I am on day 15 of the tapes. They do relax me more, but have not helped as of yet on my other problems.Does anyone know much about motility problems? What foods and drinks help control it? So many foods add to the problem instead of help it. I need advice.

G

·
Could you let us know what all meds you're currently taking?Also, Eric posted a link to a great study recently, but I'm short on time today, so I can't look it up. This is from the sheet I carry in my wallet. Try eliminating each of these one or two at a time, not all at once. You may find that your symptoms improve within 24 hours, I did.cheese, onions, milk, wheat, chocolate, butter, yoghurt, coffee, eggs, nuts, citrus, tea, rye, potatoes, barley, oats, maize, apples, pears, cherries, plums, prunes, peaches and fruit juices. Anything dietetic or pharmaceutical that contains mannitol or sorbitol. Honey, and any fruit or processed food that contains fructose.I had the best luck with eliminating onions, all fruit, eggs, and cheese. In the past couple of weeks, I have gone from a mini-enema every night for stimulation to having pretty regular BMs; though they are not well formed. Your needs may be different, and the foods that wreck my system may be suitable for yours. These are meant as suggestions for elimination trials, not that you can't eat any of them at all.Kmottus has also, in the past, posted about bowel retraining. I have followed much of her suggestions. What has helped me is to just have a seat on the toilet in the am after breakfast. No straining; just giving my body the opportunity for 5 minutes or so if it wants to go. If not, I finish getting dressed, and go to work. I give myself the opportunity several times a day, unless I have a BM. Look through some of the old posts.Kmottus... Thanks A Bunch!!!

G

·
Could you let us know what all meds you're currently taking?Also, Eric posted a link to a great study recently, but I'm short on time today, so I can't look it up. This is from the sheet I carry in my wallet. Try eliminating each of these one or two at a time, not all at once. You may find that your symptoms improve within 24 hours, I did.cheese, onions, milk, wheat, chocolate, butter, yoghurt, coffee, eggs, nuts, citrus, tea, rye, potatoes, barley, oats, maize, apples, pears, cherries, plums, prunes, peaches and fruit juices. Anything dietetic or pharmaceutical that contains mannitol or sorbitol. Honey, and any fruit or processed food that contains fructose.I had the best luck with eliminating onions, all fruit, eggs, and cheese. In the past couple of weeks, I have gone from a mini-enema every night for stimulation to having pretty regular BMs; though they are not well formed. Your needs may be different, and the foods that wreck my system may be suitable for yours. These are meant as suggestions for elimination trials, not that you can't eat any of them at all.Kmottus has also, in the past, posted about bowel retraining. I have followed much of her suggestions. What has helped me is to just have a seat on the toilet in the am after breakfast. No straining; just giving my body the opportunity for 5 minutes or so if it wants to go. If not, I finish getting dressed, and go to work. I give myself the opportunity several times a day, unless I have a BM. Look through some of the old posts.Kmottus... Thanks A Bunch!!!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Im' C also. I would not be able to go with only 2 tsp a day of prodiem. What I take is 2 tbsp of metamucil a day, sometimes I substitute 1 tsp of prodiem for 1 tbsp of metamucil but I find that metamucil works better. I eat lots of fruit and vegetables, spinach especially is wonderful. It takes me about 30 each morning in the bathroom but with spinach it takes me 2 minutes. I would try some spinach if I were you. I don't eat eggs because eggs are a killer for me, i'm lactose intolerant but it took me many years to even admit to myself that lactose was a problem for me. Could you be lactose intolerant? Lactose gives me major pain, gas, bloating. I avoid all beans including soy beans even soy milk gives me pain. I read labels on packaged food and I don't eat anything containing whey powder in it. I tried bran bud cereal because some people on the board were having great reluts with it but bran buds are no good for me, gives me big pain. Have you tried metamucil? Why would your doctor like you to not take any prodiem? Are you taking the kind with senna? I buy the plain one.Senna is no good for you. And drink a lot of water, it makes a huge difference, drink at least 8 tall glasses a day. Prune juice is supposed to be good but it only gives me pain. Isn't ibs a ****ty thing to have? Sometimes I'm ok for weeks and then bang!!it comes back, I'm so sick of it. Well anyways this is what works for me, I hope this will help you . Oh yes, gum of any kind and hard candy agravates my ibs, probably because I swallow too much air.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Im' C also. I would not be able to go with only 2 tsp a day of prodiem. What I take is 2 tbsp of metamucil a day, sometimes I substitute 1 tsp of prodiem for 1 tbsp of metamucil but I find that metamucil works better. I eat lots of fruit and vegetables, spinach especially is wonderful. It takes me about 30 each morning in the bathroom but with spinach it takes me 2 minutes. I would try some spinach if I were you. I don't eat eggs because eggs are a killer for me, i'm lactose intolerant but it took me many years to even admit to myself that lactose was a problem for me. Could you be lactose intolerant? Lactose gives me major pain, gas, bloating. I avoid all beans including soy beans even soy milk gives me pain. I read labels on packaged food and I don't eat anything containing whey powder in it. I tried bran bud cereal because some people on the board were having great reluts with it but bran buds are no good for me, gives me big pain. Have you tried metamucil? Why would your doctor like you to not take any prodiem? Are you taking the kind with senna? I buy the plain one.Senna is no good for you. And drink a lot of water, it makes a huge difference, drink at least 8 tall glasses a day. Prune juice is supposed to be good but it only gives me pain. Isn't ibs a ****ty thing to have? Sometimes I'm ok for weeks and then bang!!it comes back, I'm so sick of it. Well anyways this is what works for me, I hope this will help you . Oh yes, gum of any kind and hard candy agravates my ibs, probably because I swallow too much air.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Patsy, on my site I have some dietary info and resources, including The American Dietetic Association's Manual of Clinical Dietetics, 6th Edition, 2000. On foods for IBS. http://www.ibshealth.com/ibsfoodpage.htm ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Patsy, on my site I have some dietary info and resources, including The American Dietetic Association's Manual of Clinical Dietetics, 6th Edition, 2000. On foods for IBS. http://www.ibshealth.com/ibsfoodpage.htm ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi1 Thanks for the support.I just saw the doctor a month ago. He told me to try unifiber in the am., continue to drink plenty of water, jog 15 minutes a day, and as I was leaving he wrote a script for Reglan at bedtime.Needless to say, I tried it for a few weeks and it did not work. Any type of fiber except Perium (with Senna) clogs up the works. I drink an unbelievable amount of water and it still does not help. I have tried magnesium (caused HORRID gas), different enzymes, various fiber supplements, Ezekiel bread, prune juice, and "Experience". Nothing has any effect.It is hard for me to believe that people can just sit down and "go" after they eat. I would not mind the constipation, but as it goes on... the gas gets worse.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi1 Thanks for the support.I just saw the doctor a month ago. He told me to try unifiber in the am., continue to drink plenty of water, jog 15 minutes a day, and as I was leaving he wrote a script for Reglan at bedtime.Needless to say, I tried it for a few weeks and it did not work. Any type of fiber except Perium (with Senna) clogs up the works. I drink an unbelievable amount of water and it still does not help. I have tried magnesium (caused HORRID gas), different enzymes, various fiber supplements, Ezekiel bread, prune juice, and "Experience". Nothing has any effect.It is hard for me to believe that people can just sit down and "go" after they eat. I would not mind the constipation, but as it goes on... the gas gets worse.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
A friend of mine has always had a terrible C problem. It is what her mom died of. Her doctor gave her Miralax (not sure on the spelling) but it did wonders for her.------------------You will never know that God is all you need....... until God is all you have. �� Prayer doesn't change God , it changes the one who prays..C type, with G

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
A friend of mine has always had a terrible C problem. It is what her mom died of. Her doctor gave her Miralax (not sure on the spelling) but it did wonders for her.------------------You will never know that God is all you need....... until God is all you have. �� Prayer doesn't change God , it changes the one who prays..C type, with G

·
Registered
766 Posts
I'm a D-type, so I don't have firsthand experience with this... but I think a lot of C-people on this board have had good results with Ezekiel bread...it is a sprouted grain bread available at health food stores.I've also heard that papaya enzymes can help C, and it helps cats and rabbits eliminate hair from their digestive tract.Don't forget that IBS can wax and wane, so sometimes it take a while to get a fair trial of something new. This may be less of a problem for C-types than D-types; And sometimes you have to deal with some discomfort while adding fiber to your diet...the key is to add it gradually. If you never eat cereal and then eat a whole lot of the high fiber stuff, yes you're going to be uncomfortable. I thought sorbital was a problem for some D-types, and wasn;t aware that it bothered some C's. If it's not a prob for you, I'd try adding more fruits and veggies to your diet...many people don't get enough in their diets. I know plums really can get me going if I eat too many of them in a time period, and the same with some other fresh fruits. Figs are also very full of fiber, if you like fig newtons or plain figs. I don't know how the fiber content compares, but I looooove dates... I eat them as a snack, or put them in cookies or oatmeal or cereal...Good luck to you

·
Registered
766 Posts
I'm a D-type, so I don't have firsthand experience with this... but I think a lot of C-people on this board have had good results with Ezekiel bread...it is a sprouted grain bread available at health food stores.I've also heard that papaya enzymes can help C, and it helps cats and rabbits eliminate hair from their digestive tract.Don't forget that IBS can wax and wane, so sometimes it take a while to get a fair trial of something new. This may be less of a problem for C-types than D-types; And sometimes you have to deal with some discomfort while adding fiber to your diet...the key is to add it gradually. If you never eat cereal and then eat a whole lot of the high fiber stuff, yes you're going to be uncomfortable. I thought sorbital was a problem for some D-types, and wasn;t aware that it bothered some C's. If it's not a prob for you, I'd try adding more fruits and veggies to your diet...many people don't get enough in their diets. I know plums really can get me going if I eat too many of them in a time period, and the same with some other fresh fruits. Figs are also very full of fiber, if you like fig newtons or plain figs. I don't know how the fiber content compares, but I looooove dates... I eat them as a snack, or put them in cookies or oatmeal or cereal...Good luck to you

G

·
I know how you feel about bloating,Ive suffered for nearly seven years with my stomach and the bloating and pain caused from that I would say is the worse part of IBS. The only thing that have ever helped is to Lay on my left side, it sounds horrible but because of how you stomach is inside this releases the gases and gives some relief. I recently went to see a dowser about my stomach and she has recommended for me to cut out raw onions,red wine,chocolate,coffee and wheat products which I finding hard but it can be done! I must admit I had a bad craving for Pizza last night and had to have it but Im paying now.... I would recomend seeing a dowser and she tells you what to cut out and what to eat,as thats the worse thing never knowing what you can eat.

G

·
I know how you feel about bloating,Ive suffered for nearly seven years with my stomach and the bloating and pain caused from that I would say is the worse part of IBS. The only thing that have ever helped is to Lay on my left side, it sounds horrible but because of how you stomach is inside this releases the gases and gives some relief. I recently went to see a dowser about my stomach and she has recommended for me to cut out raw onions,red wine,chocolate,coffee and wheat products which I finding hard but it can be done! I must admit I had a bad craving for Pizza last night and had to have it but Im paying now.... I would recomend seeing a dowser and she tells you what to cut out and what to eat,as thats the worse thing never knowing what you can eat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.