Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so sick of feeling sick! I fel like I am getting worse---I have constant nausea, IBS-D---bloating and I cannot eat! I am down to eating crackers and ginger ale, and even with that I feel so full and bloated like I ate a six course meal! I only feel better if I fast, and I cannot live like that! My meds don't seem to work any more! I am so sad I am losing my psychiatrist of ten years and am trying to find someone new who does long term psychotherapy! With it all I do not understand why I do not lose weight?? I should have dropped 50lbs by now, but instead I will even pick up 2-3lbs from bloating! I just feel so sad and alone, and so sick of everything! Thanks for letting me vent!!!------------------trish

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
trish, I wonder if the ginger ale is contributing to your bloating because it is fizzy - don't tell me, you're drinking it flat!
Have you tried ginger tea - a few slices of fresh root ginger with some hot water? I haven't tried it yet but I hear it is good. Are you able to eat rice or oat dishes at all? Poor you living off crackers.Perhaps you are not loosing weight because your body is holding on to all the calories it can because it knows you are not able to eat much at the moment? Remember to keep you fluid (water) intake up, as well as drinking the ginger ale.I'm sorry I don't really have anything else to suggest, only to say I hope it passes soon. take care,susan

·
Registered
29 Posts
Are you taking any fiber. Three years ago my doctor suggested that I take fiber and I tried it, but I took the whole scoop full and had a bad reaction. I was afraid to try it, but recently I adjusted the amount and it has worked wonders for my IBS-D. It may help with the bloating and full feeling you are experiencing.

G

·
Doing a regular exercise routine might help.I was feeling similar. I start first thing in the morning. I do a light work out and follow up with yoga. It made a huge difference for me. I felt alot better all day and I have lost 30 pounds. I have been doing it for about a year now. I am able to eat also. Have you tried anything like this?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whenever I try fiber it makes my gastric reflux much worse, and the same thing happens when I try to exercise! I also feel more nausea when I exercise! and makes IBS-D worse! It seems any exertion intensifies my problem---think thats why I feel so hopeless!! I appreciate your input!------------------trish

G

·
What does your gastro say? You may want to look into yoga, because you really don't do much exertion. I do it as more of a relaxation thing. I know, it sounds flakey.Keep us posted! I hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
STOP the crackers. Many of us have a wheat intolerance, and meals high in wheat will make gas and bloating SO MUCH worse. SO stop. Try a week of a low or no wheat diet, and see what happens. Maggie

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I eat Club Crackers---they are made with wheat flour----but is there really that much wheat in them to cause a problem??? Is it possible to get a cracker that is NOT made with wheat?? Any suggestions?? thanks for your input!!! Trish------------------trish

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Yup, from health grocery stores, you can buy rice cakes (boring, but...) and all-rice crackers. You can also buy rice bread.Sorry for more advice, but...Have you also tried flax oil capsules?ws -- Yes, ginger tea is so wonderful, esp. when bloating, nausea, or inflammation is going on!
I've only tried the teabags, but now I think I'll try the fresh root, as you suggested.[This message has been edited by HipJan (edited 11-25-2000).]

G

·
Having just gone through the whole gammut of tests - they've probed, poked, and prodded very part of my body, I was worried to read that many of you have wheat allergies. Did they test you for Celiac Disease - it wasn't soemthing they (gastro's) looked at until recently. Two blood tests - anti gliadin and anti endmysial, and a colonoscopy with biopsies to check for damaged celia - I don't have it, TG, but have a friedn diagnosed - she had to cut all wheat, rye, oat, and some corn, even. Check it out - there is a celiac site online - alos talk to your gastro!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
patjack, oatcakes are an excellent alternative to crackers. They are wheat free (obviously!) and are much, much more filling, without it feeling like you have eaten much. You could also try ryvita (original or sesame) which are nice, light and crunchy. Both these things are a good alternative to wheat things, and also you can add some protein to them which is tasty, when you feel able, so you can eat 'sandwiches', just not with bread. susan

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for all your suggestions, you have given me some new things to try---some of them are new to me---do you have to get these things in a Health store? or can they be found in supermarkets?? I appreciate your concern and your sharing!! Trish------------------trish

G

·
I also suffered from D and terrible bloating. I noticed when I ate dry toast I felt worse. I also think the soda may be causing the gas. I drink mint or chamomile tea. There are lots of wheat free cereals on the market that you can cook. The quinoa flakes aren't too bad. A health food store is the best place to find these things. Also rice bread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts