Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iam in a bad flare up and while i know all poop stinks the odor is unbearable i am scared of cancer and now i really think i have it...nothing can smell that bad and be ok

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Oh Knot I laughed right out loud when I read this! I know exactly whatchamean.. Isn't it awful sometimes?My personal fav is when one can't tell by the smell if one just had D or threw up. sigh...But truly you have been checked haven't you?? So honestly.... I wouldn't worry.Get an air freshener going or crack the bathroom window for a few.Hope ya feel better soon!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we have to laugh or we will cry....what on earth can cause this? bacteria, virus, cancer? it does not smell like that always >> iwas checked long tme ago ibs not going through that again>>>> i also heard to light a match to kill the odor

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I have never heard of cancer ever changing the smell of the poop.There can be times you have more sulfur reducing bacteria in the colon than others and that increases the amount of smelly compounds made by bacteria while they digest the stuff you don't eat.Have you tried reducing sulfur in the diet (smaller servings of protein and limiting other sources or sulfur like onions) or adding a bit of pepto bismol every day to absorb some of the smellier gases and keep it bound in the stool.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
As I have mentioned before, my (sainted) wife always said our bedroom smelled like an open sewer. There were so many occasions when I just wanted to die from the smell I left behind in public spaces. I really don't think it means anything other than D.Mark

·
Registered
57 Posts
there was an odour coming off me a bit on monday when i was out in public, i noticed people covering their noses, coughing, walking in the opposite directionwas the first time i experienced that in ages, usually there doesn't be a smellit was probably due to the bad case of diarrhea i had then i got constipated again from tuesday-wednesday
i don't want to go on living as a smelly person
wish i wasn't in this body anymore

·
Registered
37 Posts
whilst i am not a doctor and shouldnt tell you to take things i can tel you that my son taking hyspaghula husk has deffinately helped with the odor, are you in england? we buy it in the form of fibregel- a powder and mix it with water- and hold your nose and get it down, within a couple of days the odor wasnt so bad-the hyspaghula husk hasnt managed to form the movement into anything soild but it has stopped it from being so watery and given it bulk. where you have watery d and not enough fibre in there- there is all food chemicals instead of roughage. i have worked in a hospital before and been on the wards where they treat stomach complaints and ive seen it and smelt it- so i know what you are talking about- it can be vial if i were you id gve this fibregel a go- some people dont try it as they think it would make them worse thats why we didnt try it for years- now i insist my son had it every day- even thogh it doesnt cure d, it has helped bulk it up- certanly helped wth the odor- where it used to be vial- it ok now- and helped with the frequency of visits neede to the loo.i think its healthier for the interna system- if you are having d. and needing to go to the loo all the time- it makes sense to have some roughage in your system as opposed to random selection of different food stuffs. even though it hasnt formed the bowel movements into proper solid movements taking some of the odor away makes me think the fibregel supplement is deffinately worth sticking with- i also think its better for his internal digestive system and th eases the worry abut cancer etc- its healhy for your insides. like i said im not a doctor and i cant advise you or tell you to gve it a go- but in my laymans opinion i feel you have nothing to lose by trying it- if it doesnt make you worse then i think its worth sticking with- i get it from the doctor and get three mtnhs worth of it at a time, that way you dont have to pay lost of mney for it, if you give it a go- gve it a chance- i gave it to my son last thing at night in the hope that it would stay n his system long enough to form into a gel whcih is what it does- if you leace the glass and come back to it hald an hour later you see it is a slimy jelly- magine having that silky slimy jelly sliding through your intestines, massaging the inisdes of your intestines as it moves through. it says on the packet to take it after a meal, but ive never taken it after a meal and it has always worked well, but as its likely to come straight back out of you afer youve eaten i would do it like we did- before you go to bed- after youve sent the whole evening expelling everything out of your system- and then try and sleep with it nside and try to give it at least half an hour inside you if you can before a visit tot he loo.like i said im really worried im not a doctor and i dont want to get into trouble with telling people what to do- but if you lok at the list of treatments for IBS fibegel is always on there so it is an accepted treatment- and just because it hasnt turned out to be the life changing cure we still continue to take it- even if it helped with the odor- then thats one big bonus/plus isnt it.if you decide to try it gve it a week before you dscount it and can you let me know how yu get on with it if you do try?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.