Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I survived my colonoscopy (was a real fear)and it was not all that bad. The Dr. said that there was diverticulitis with outcroppings. What is this? He took a biopsy will know sometime next week. Any ideas what I coulddo to get rid of the pain in my left side that is pretty much constant except for the couple of days after the scope? I do not take any meds, except right now I am on an antibiotic for H-pylorei from the endo last week. Any info would be helpful. Sue

·
Registered
605 Posts
If you have diverticulitis, that is an infection and you would need to be on antibiotics. Diverticulosis is the uninfected form of this disease, which is when pockets form on the inside of the intestine. They look like bubbles on a colonoscopy. Did this doctor say it's diverticulitis not "osis"? "Itis" is very painful with fever, etc., and patients sometimes need hospitalization. It is caused when the pockets become infected for a number of various reasons. Occasionally, they can rupture and cause bleeding. If it's "osis" (uninfected), you need to ahere to a diet that will prevent foods from being hung up on the pockets and causing irritation and sometimes infection. For me, that means avoiding all raw fruits and vegetables (anything hard, especially carrots), anything with seeds (tomatoes, cucumbers, zuchini), and seeds themselves (poppy, sesame, etc.). Some writings have come out lately saying the seeds don't matter in diverticulosis, but for me that is not true. I have terrific pain and messed up bowels if I don't adhere to this diet. It's also important that you do not allow yourself to become constipated, as the straining will aggravate these pockets. Some people use fiber supplements to help. Hope this info helps and that you are soon feeling better.

·
Registered
605 Posts
If you have diverticulitis, that is an infection and you would need to be on antibiotics. Diverticulosis is the uninfected form of this disease, which is when pockets form on the inside of the intestine. They look like bubbles on a colonoscopy. Did this doctor say it's diverticulitis not "osis"? "Itis" is very painful with fever, etc., and patients sometimes need hospitalization. It is caused when the pockets become infected for a number of various reasons. Occasionally, they can rupture and cause bleeding. If it's "osis" (uninfected), you need to ahere to a diet that will prevent foods from being hung up on the pockets and causing irritation and sometimes infection. For me, that means avoiding all raw fruits and vegetables (anything hard, especially carrots), anything with seeds (tomatoes, cucumbers, zuchini), and seeds themselves (poppy, sesame, etc.). Some writings have come out lately saying the seeds don't matter in diverticulosis, but for me that is not true. I have terrific pain and messed up bowels if I don't adhere to this diet. It's also important that you do not allow yourself to become constipated, as the straining will aggravate these pockets. Some people use fiber supplements to help. Hope this info helps and that you are soon feeling better.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Herelam, Thank you for the info, he did say itis and I am on an antibiotic. The pain is very bad on the left side. I am suppose to call him on Wednesday. I will post what he tells me. Again thank you. sue

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Herelam, Thank you for the info, he did say itis and I am on an antibiotic. The pain is very bad on the left side. I am suppose to call him on Wednesday. I will post what he tells me. Again thank you. sue

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.