Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had positive results using probiotics if they have diverticular disease with symptoms? Align was rather a failure for me, and now I'm trying another: Colon Health.Is there any reason why someone's colon would react negatively even to beneficial bacteria?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Just because any given bacteria does better than placebo in a clinical trial for another disease does not make them a cure all for everyone.Sometimes how that bacteria interacts with you and interacts with the other bacteria in the gut doesn't work for someone. Some people do OK with one strain/species/brand and not another.There is no way to predict.Let me see if there is even any research to see if probiotics do anything to prevent diverticuli from becoming infected. Although they may do the standard things that help people after taking antibiotics. The main feature of probiotics is they do not release gas from the digestion of carbs. They do have some other host interactions that sometimes are beneficial. IBSers often have big reactions to small volume increases in gas so that is why they tend to help IBSers. I don't know that people with diverticuli problems are particularly sensitive to gas.Looks like only couple of small clinical trials have been done. If you get a blend that helps ease constipation that may help with remission between infections, but there isn't a lot of good data at this time. They didn't test Align and the most recent study was a blend of two species.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.