Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced dizziness/fainting as a symptom of IBS? I have dizzy spells during the day that seem to correspond with periods of gassiness or the urge to go....but not always. I guess I truly can't decide if my dizziness is related to my IBS. I haven't fainted to date but there are times when it feels like I might. Does anyone have any suggestions? I feel like I'm losing control of my life and I'm deathly afraid I'm going to faint at work or while driving. Just looking for any advice. I've had IBS for 2 years now and while my bouts with diarrhea, constipation, and gas have improved my dizzy spells have not.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
hmm. I didn't think this wasa typical sypmtom of IBS. Have you talked to your doctor about it? It cold be somewhat related in that your body is under some stress either causing the dizziness or caused by the dizziness, and this causes IBS problems. But it could be wholly unrelated. I think ongoing dizziness is something to look into.nancy

·
Registered
23 Posts
I get the dizzies, and frequently get visual distrubances & lightheadedness when standing up quickly, but usually this happens after I've had bouts of D, which makes me think it may be a result of dehydration.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Jonathan, you might want to check with a doctor to see if your symptoms might be anxiety related. I have had this problem in the past related to IBS-D and never knowing when it will show up. I would feel lightheaded, dizzy, nauseaus and like I was gonna die. Once I knew that it was a panic attack I could usually head them off with deep breathing and realizing that it was not the end of the world if I had to use the bathroom. I still deal with it occasionally.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I tend to get a dizzy/light headed feeling with my IBS, but I've never fainted. However, I also have low blood pressure and I may have panic attacks as well since I usually also experience an increased heart rate and difficulty swallowing with the light headedness.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. I tend to think my dizziness is related to low blood sugar. I'm sure I'm not eating properly. I know for a fact I don't eat as much as I used to and have lost quite a bit of weight. I think too I suffer from anxiety attacks which only compounds the problem. I'm dealing better with them so hopefully I can keep them under control.I've seen quite a few remarks on the site regarding Paxil. Does that help with IBS? Anyone using it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.