Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if this is a common symptom of IBS. I was diagnosed about 6 months ago and experience occassional dizzy spells. I can't think of any other reason for them. Do others also experience this? Thanks.Anna

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Anna, do the dizzy spells pass when you eat something, particularly if it's sugary? Do they occur some hours after eating a meal? Do you get shaky and sweaty with them? If so, have you considered a drop in blood sugar?Do they occur when you stand up quickly after lying down? Or when you are very hot? Do they pass when you lie down? If so, have you considered a drop in blood pressure? Those are the 2 things I have experience of dizzy spells with. There may be more reasons! Hope this is of some help at least.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Anna, do the dizzy spells pass when you eat something, particularly if it's sugary? Do they occur some hours after eating a meal? Do you get shaky and sweaty with them? If so, have you considered a drop in blood sugar?Do they occur when you stand up quickly after lying down? Or when you are very hot? Do they pass when you lie down? If so, have you considered a drop in blood pressure? Those are the 2 things I have experience of dizzy spells with. There may be more reasons! Hope this is of some help at least.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Could be low blood pressure like star said, or check your blood sugar. Depends on your symptoms. I have always had low blood pressure and always knew there was something else going on. Finally, after checking my blood sugar myself for awhile...I went to an endocrine dr. at Vanderbilt and she confirmed Hypoglaucemia. Not hard to manage really. Watch the carbs, watch out for refined sugar(don't eat a candy bar or donut...you will get a big "high" then in a HUGE low) Eat fruit, lie down...put your feet up for a bit.Caffiene is bad for me, but I still on occasion have to have it. (I WAS a pot of coffee awhile back) Let us know how things go...watch yourself with the dizzy spells, I have fainted before. Or passed out..?? Is there a difference? Anyway, it really scared me and my kids!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Could be low blood pressure like star said, or check your blood sugar. Depends on your symptoms. I have always had low blood pressure and always knew there was something else going on. Finally, after checking my blood sugar myself for awhile...I went to an endocrine dr. at Vanderbilt and she confirmed Hypoglaucemia. Not hard to manage really. Watch the carbs, watch out for refined sugar(don't eat a candy bar or donut...you will get a big "high" then in a HUGE low) Eat fruit, lie down...put your feet up for a bit.Caffiene is bad for me, but I still on occasion have to have it. (I WAS a pot of coffee awhile back) Let us know how things go...watch yourself with the dizzy spells, I have fainted before. Or passed out..?? Is there a difference? Anyway, it really scared me and my kids!

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's funny that you mention that annalog. I'm sitting here at the moment going through a terrible IBS episode, and I have noticed that the dizziness is always present when I have a "flare up." I don't know exactly why there is dizziness, but I also feel nauseous when this happens...I'm assuming the nausea and dizziness might be related. And in response to star.....my dizziness has nothing to do with low or high blood sugar levels. It can happen on a full stomach or after 24 ounces of Mountain Dew.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's funny that you mention that annalog. I'm sitting here at the moment going through a terrible IBS episode, and I have noticed that the dizziness is always present when I have a "flare up." I don't know exactly why there is dizziness, but I also feel nauseous when this happens...I'm assuming the nausea and dizziness might be related. And in response to star.....my dizziness has nothing to do with low or high blood sugar levels. It can happen on a full stomach or after 24 ounces of Mountain Dew.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
just thought i'd throw my 2 cents in...i too suffer from episodes of being dizzy, nauseous, breaking out in a sweat, slow response to verbal stimuli, etc. i happen to know that my body does not properly regulate my blood pressure, so my problem is from an extreme, rapid drop in blood pressure. it might be wise to keep a journal for a few weeks of everything you eat, do, etc just to see if you can figure out what is causing these spells, or if there is a pattern to them. i hope you feel better!~mrs. mason

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
just thought i'd throw my 2 cents in...i too suffer from episodes of being dizzy, nauseous, breaking out in a sweat, slow response to verbal stimuli, etc. i happen to know that my body does not properly regulate my blood pressure, so my problem is from an extreme, rapid drop in blood pressure. it might be wise to keep a journal for a few weeks of everything you eat, do, etc just to see if you can figure out what is causing these spells, or if there is a pattern to them. i hope you feel better!~mrs. mason

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the comments. It's good to know other people experience this as well.As far as I can tell my dizzy spells also coincide with IBS flare ups. They don't seem to happen before or after I've eaten but I do often feel nauseous and too hot/shaky when they happen.I know my blood pressure is normal but it's interesting what you said, Mrs Mason, about slow response. I hadn't really thought about it but that usually happens as well.How would I go about checking my blood sugar levels? Thanks again.Anna

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the comments. It's good to know other people experience this as well.As far as I can tell my dizzy spells also coincide with IBS flare ups. They don't seem to happen before or after I've eaten but I do often feel nauseous and too hot/shaky when they happen.I know my blood pressure is normal but it's interesting what you said, Mrs Mason, about slow response. I hadn't really thought about it but that usually happens as well.How would I go about checking my blood sugar levels? Thanks again.Anna

·
Registered
86 Posts
Annalog, I bought an inexpensive Blood Glucose monitor from Walgreens, usually they are having a special on them. You buy the test strips, and get the monitor free. (About $50-99 for most of them)I don't check mine everyday, usually about every 3 days if things are going ok. I keep an eye on it. Sometimes I can catch an episode of 'low' before it gets to bad! Good luck, and let us know!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Annalog, I bought an inexpensive Blood Glucose monitor from Walgreens, usually they are having a special on them. You buy the test strips, and get the monitor free. (About $50-99 for most of them)I don't check mine everyday, usually about every 3 days if things are going ok. I keep an eye on it. Sometimes I can catch an episode of 'low' before it gets to bad! Good luck, and let us know!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.