Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an IBS-D person, and am having a very bad "belly day" (as it is called in my house). I have taken more than enough Immodium to stop me up for days, and am just waiting for its effects to take hold. Now, I know IBS-C can't be fun either, but I just wish i could trade off for like 3 days! Oh, to not have to run to the john every 10 minutes... I like that full day after immodium treatment when I don't have to go at all. What a relief. But to return to the D again, what could be worse...(Okay, for those of you with IBS-C, I am not discrediting your type of IBS suffereing any. I have never been through that, and can't possibly know what it's like. From everyone's posts here, i think I have a good understanding of what it must be like for you all. And, I am not wishing IBS-C on me at all. I am just having a really bad day, and am just wishing the D would stop!!! I didn't want anyone to take my post the wrong way, as I have sympathy for ALL IBS-er's, both C and D type.)Aimee L.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I alternate between D and C, although I am predominately D. I only get really horrible C a few times a year, and the pain is awful. I have sat in the bathroom in such excrutiating pain, crying and pleading for D. I have never had D bad enough where I wanted C... for me, the D is painful but can be somewhat reduced by heating pads, medications, BRAT diet, etc. But the C... when it is bad I can't even stand up straight or walk.But I think everyone is different. Someone with worse D than me, like you, probably feels differently.

·
Registered
22 Posts
First of all, to reiterate what Aimee said earlier...we are not degrading the "C"'s suffering. Believe me, I would LOVE to be normal (well..as normal as I can be
)BUT! I would gladly take C for three days!!!!! Try taking a six hour car ride through the desert with only three rest areas between point A and point B. To top it off, the only food places in between are Del Taco, Carls Jr, DQ and other various huge NO-NO's for us D types. The thought of road trips get me so stressed out that it makes it worse! I'm sure all you D's out there can relate!Dori

·
Registered
766 Posts
Heck yeah!Of course, if we only got C for 3 days, we'd be back to pooping a lot afterwards. I think the bad thing about C, from reading posts on this board, is that it can be more than 3 days....I took more Immodium than usual Monday, because I was nervous about my gyno appt. and wanted to make sure I didn't have to go during... It was great because I ate pizza and some other questionable foods that day, and I didn't go for 2 days! But yesterday I got pain, which I don't get that often, and seems to happen more when I'm rebounding from Immodium, so I try to take just enough to slow things down, rather than stop it, usually.I'm Ding it up today

·
Registered
467 Posts
After years of IBS/D now I am mostly C. If I could choose? I'd rather be D. At least I knew with D that Immodium would help if I had to go anywhere (although I admit, I hardly go ANYWHERE anymore). But my worst problem is Gas. If I could make one wish, it would be to get rid of the gas problem!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Well I'm both IBS C & D and never know from one minute to the next what it will be next....so sometimes I definetely feel like I'd trade my two in for just one (that would be great)
Personally I'm always quite pleased when I have D - because its the only time I feel like my bowel has cleared out and I can't feel that uncomfortable pressure you get with C.On the other hand when you have D its always difficult to lead the normal life for fear of an accident happening in public....so I can understand how both types of IBS'ers feel - just spare a thought for us C & D types - who get the worst of both worlds!I'm so glad someone came up with this thread, cause from day one I've always felt rather envious of those only having either D or C - not that I'd wish this blasted problem on anyone!Lets hope for a fix soon!Clair

·
Registered
189 Posts
YES!!! I am C and sometimes I wish I could have D for a day or two and "get it all out" and not have to deal with plugging the toilet. Sometimes I'm grateful for C, though, like that I can usually do things spontaneously, not having to worry about "urges", and I'm usually great on road trips, which would be HORRIBLE with D.I feel sorry for the D people but sometimes I want to get rid of the bloating and the "full" feeling and the terrible gas pain.
Glad someone brought this up...-Amy

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I started off as alternating D/C. That was a nightmare. Then I was a full D-type for over a year. Now I'm a full C-type.Yep, I've had it all and each has 'benefits', but usually you don't want to have the other one because you don't know what to take or do to 'treat' it. When I became a C-type, I had no idea how to deal with it since all I was used to was D. It was extremely painful and although I didn't have to worry about accidents, I still couldn't go out in public because walking around doubled over in pain isn't easy.Even tho I'm a C, I don't want D because I know what that's like.I'm just rambling now, don't mind me
Ty------------------There is nothing so strong as gentleness,and there is nothing more gentle as real strength.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I agree with Ty, I will stick with what I ( C) since I have learned how to live withit. Besides from what I read on the board here I think D would be worse. ------------------Prayer doesn't change God , it changes the one who prays..C type, with G

G

·
I'm D-type and recently had a small bout of C for no particular reason...I didn't enjoy the feeling of wanting and needing to go but not being able to get anything out. I'm not sure if I'd want to deal with that for longer than a day. At least with D when you go, it comes right out and you usually feel quite a feeling of relief after it's all out of your system. Sick as it sounds, I almost enjoy the post-attack emptiness in my tummy. And I'm fine with just 1 imodium to control problems.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Well, interesting question; I am IBS-C but I took MOM every day for 10 years so it was like I was D--on my way to work I had to look for bathrooms and stop on my way to work in the dumpiest places to poop and once I lost my load just as I got to work(I will spare you the details). Well, I gave up the MOM'cause it made me sick and now I am dealingwith C--I never ever "dump" and the stuff just stays in there. It is gross and uncomfortable let me tell you; I guess I would have to say that both of these problems basically suck and it would be hard to say which one is worse; I know what it is like to have the urge and have to go NOW-and pray you make it to the john---I guess C's and D's both have their crosses to bear. Good luck to all in our struggle

·
Registered
423 Posts
I agree that both C & D have there benefits and drawbacks. I am mostly C with occasional bouts of D. My issue is that I feel the urgency to go like many people with D but I can't. The pain of the trapped gas with C is excruciating. I have had nights shivering and sweating while curled up on the bathroom floor praying someone would bring me a gun because shooting myself would hurt less. I find my occasional bouts of D much easier to deal with. I need to go to the bathroom with some urgency but when I get there, I can go. I just had a bout of D this evening (I have NO clue why) but I am mildly uncomfortable but not miserable. I haven't even felt the need to take my bentyl. I think those with severe D that cannot control it even with medication have it worse than I do. But those with more moderate D....I think its a toss up. C would be fine if I didn't still get the urgency and the pain of not being able to go.P.

G

·
From the time I was a child up until I was in my early 30's, I was a definite C. My stomach would hurt so bad that I had many tests at the hospital to find out what was wrong with my system. No one seemed to know anything about IBS then, at least not where I live. I took so many different kinds of laxatives, it was disgusting. My family went on a trip to the beach when I was 12 and I couldn't go the entire 10 days we were there. If you want to do any physical activities, you feel terrible and don't want to move, sort of the way you feel after stuffing yourself with a huge meal. Anyway, when I had my son and for about 8 years after that, I was normal. It was a great feeling. I thought I was cured of whatever it was that I had. Then, when I hit 34, I started having occassional bouts of D. I wasn't too upset because they were only here and there and I could just take one Immodium and it would take care of it. But gradually I got "sick" more often and about 2 years ago I thought I was going to die because I started having D every day and had to take much more Immodium to control things. So having been in both positions, my opinion is that I would rather be C. No it is not pleasant either and it is painful, but the stress of worrying about accidents and trying to locate every bathroom within a 50 mile radius of my home is not fun either. The extra stress end up bringing on the cramps and then it is "off to the races!" I don't feel comfortable or happy taking road trips and I definitely don't want to ride with anyone else. I have to do the driving. Most of my close friends know about my problem and understand, but I used to go on lots of field trips with my son at school and I am soooo afraid of bus rides. Last year I went on a trip with my son and they always leave early in the morning, which is also not good. I had to over-medicate myself just to get rid of the anxiety about not being in control because of the bus ride. I sympathize with everyone because I have been in both places, but right now I would rather be C.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am both C&D type, and luckily, my C has not been severe. I wouldn't trade it for D for the world as the D makes me feel more incompletely evacuated than the C does, and I feel so totally "pinched" down there. I also cannot stand the unpredictable urges of D, and even though I'm on this pendulum, I can lead a somewhat normal life because I'm not worrying about my next accident 24/7.Ashley

·
Registered
176 Posts
This is a hard question. I've always been Ibs-D, but 2 weeks ago was constipated and didn't go for 7 days!! The first 3 or 4 days were wonderful, but after that I was in severe pain! If I knew Ibs-C lasted a few days, I'd choose that over Ibs-D anyday, but after the fourth day of constipation I thought I was going to die, and was praying for the diahhria to come back!

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
As most of you already know, I always claim I was born constipated and have had a problem with "C" my whole life. I almost never have "D"...well maybe 3 or 4 times a year, and each time it has happened, I have been at work. It has hit me with such "urgency"...that I HAVE TO GO NOW!!!, so I do understand what the "D" types go through. Let me just say, that even though I found it extremely scary on whether or not I was going to make it to the ladies room, and I hated the embarrassment of running back and forth a few times...when it was over, it felt great to get all that "poop" out of me. Actually, afterward, my stomach felt great...flat and free of pain. It felt like I had just rid myself of a 10 lb. water melon that had been growing in there. Another good thing was, I felt empty, so I actually felt hungry. People who have severe "C" always feel full, gassy, bloated, listless and most are in a lot of pain. And, when you are carrying around a few days worth of food, the last thing you feel like doing is eating, which of course, is not healthy. I am not minimizing the pain the "D" types feel, but at least with "D" you can get rid of the "stuff" that is causing the pain. Most "C" types feel the pain and need to have a bowel movement...but can't, or at least can't get enough out to feel relieved. So, yes I would be willing to trade the "C" for "D" for a while..if for nothing else, just a change of pace.
------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
766 Posts
Clair,I AM grateful that I'm just D rather alternating C-D. At least this way, I can take things like calcium that are constipating, rather than not knowing if I'll be C or D tomorrow. I think being C-D would be pretty tough. How exactly does it work, anyhow? Are you C for a while, then it all comes out, and you're D for a whlie, til it gets back under control, and then you're C again? And are you taking something like Immodium when you're D, which is setting off the D? And laxitives when you're C? Or do you just try to ride it out?And as for not wanting to eat when you're C, knowing that you'll be running to the bathroom again, when your rear is already raw from D, if you eat, doesn't help the appetite. Sometimes I barely eat to get through a workday, because I drive as part of my job, and when I'm having a bad day with the D, just about anything I eat will send me running to the bathroom.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Such great replies! Now I know I'm not alone, AND I can say that I have a better understanding about how people feel about their form of IBS, and others' forms of IBS. Keep sharing, I'm learning more about myself and others with each one. Aimee L.

·
Registered
423 Posts
atp,I don't know how the C/D thing works for other people but my situation goes something like this. I will have C for a period of time (a couple of days to a couple of weeks). I will eventually get plugged up, gassy and bloated and need to go. I feel the same urgency that D types get (I got to get to the bathroom NOW or I will die!) but when I get in the bathroom, nothing will come out. Eventually, if I am lucky I will pass gas. Then if I strain, little rabbit pellets come out. Then if I am really lucky, I will eventually go. This usually involves the feeling I am giving birth to a colt and way too much straining. Now the D part. After all the effort and urgency of needing to go, I can't stop. Absolutely everything I have consumed must be ejected in whatever state it is in. I will usually have to keep running back to the bathroom with D several times after that for a few hours to a day or two. Then back to the C.When I am doing well, I can avoid the bad C and go almost every day. Even if its just the rabbit pellets, I am happy. When I am doing well and going sort of normal, I can get hit with a D attack for no known reason (like last night) out of the blue. Then I go a couple of times and I am usually fine. I don't mind those because I get the urgency then something actually happens. D for me is usually much less painful.I hope that answers your question about how you can be both. I would be curious to hear how other C/D types are similar or different.P.I also meant to mention that this involves NO drugs/herbs etc. If I take nothing to help my C, the above is my typical response and the D follows naturally as well.[This message has been edited by plm123 (edited 03-30-2001).]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.