Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Do calcium supplements cause constipation?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ghitta 
#1 ·
I am 51 and have osteoporosis. My doctor wants me to take Micalcin (a prescription) and also take 1500 units of calcium and 400 units of Vitamin D. I am so afraid that all of this will make my IBS-C worse than it already is! I can't get much calcium in my diet because I can't eat any dairy or brocolli or leafy greens. Those foods make my IBS worse. Does anyone have any experience with Micalcin? Does anyone find that calcium supplements make their constipation worse? Thanks for any help I can get!PS to Ghitta: If you ever write a book, I will stand in line to buy it. You have been of great help to me through your postings!

#2 ·
musiclady, thanks and i'm glad i have been able to be of help to you. - have you thought about trying the following types of calcium supps: 1) a reputable coral calcium (not cheap, however) and 2) calcium citrate, Twinlab's brand - i find these two NOT to be constipating at all. i'm also wondering, -if you have probs with broccoli, dairy and leafy greens, have you tried the vegetables REALLY WELL COOKED, example, steam the broccoli until soft and then puree. the cooked greens should be very soft as well. also, have you tried high calcium cow dairy substitutes such as goat or sheep's cheeses and yoghurts (found in health food stores and online) ? most people who cannot tolerate dairy do well with these products and goat yoghurt is very good for you and easily digestible with lots of calcium. good luck, g-

#3 ·
tahini (ground sesame seed paste) has more calcium than almost anything you can imagine - a spoonful will give you as much as about a ton of green veg (ok, i might be exaggerating, but not much). tinned salmon is also good if you can tolerate fish.tahini tastes like mud, but you can make houmous with it (yum) or halva which is a greek sweet made with honey or fruit juice.plus tahini also contains magnesium so will probably not be constipating. i take a teaspoon in a yoghurt shake every day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.