Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I have IBS. In August 2009, I had some corn flakes at night in a big cup of milk. Next morning I had diarrhea. I never had lactose intolerance in my life, I drank a lot of milk before that time. So I thought this was a regular diarrhea that would stop in short time with a regular low fat diarrhea diet. However it didn't. It also didn't seem like a regular diarrhea I had before, I only had diarrhea a few times in my whole life. It smelt very bad and sometimes I saw indegisted food in my very watery stools, but there weren't any blood. I had pain too. I followed a strict diet for six days and it didn't even improve a bit so I went to hospital. Doctor gave me a drug called reflor. I took it for two days and first day it worked like a miracle, my stools were normal again but even though I was still on diet, diarrhea came back next day. Drug failed. I went to doctor again and he wanted a few tests and gave me Lomotil two tablets a day (one at night, one after breakfast). He said that my blood tests were normal so it couldnt be Crohn's so he suspected of IBS I suppose but didn't tell me because he probably thought I would make it a psychological problem. A lot of bacteria were seen in my stool test. He said maybe it isn't an IBS but a persistent infection so he prescribed me an antibiotic. By the way all those tests etc took up to 15 days and my diarrhea slowed down (I guess because of Lomotil), I was only going to toilet one or two times a day and my stools were a bit more solid. Anyway just when I was going to start taking antibiotics, my diarrhea stopped. I called my doctor and he said then there is no need for antibiotics. But after this diarrhea my stools were never normal again. My stools were always like dark brownish all my life but now they are always light brownish and softer than usual and smells bad than usual. I didn't have any diarrhea after that incident for 2 months, but I had a pudding with milk in it and diarrhea returned again. I thought diarrhea would get bad again and I took three Lomotils a day for three days and my diarrhea stopped again. Since then I never drink milk and avoid milky sweets. Also I realized that when I drink alcohol it gives me very soft and watery stools almost like diarrhea and bad cramping so no more alcohol too. And coffee seems to give my stools a very bad stench so no coffee either. I had diarrhea that started a few days ago again. I don't know why it happened this time but I was eating a lot of junk food and fatty meals so I'm suspecting of them. I think I'll have to be careful with junk food as well. I took 2 Lomotil for three days but it didn't help so I took 4 a day for these last two days and it stopped again. I hope it won't come back because I don't think I can live with this diarrhea going to toilet 8 times a day. I also dont see my doctor anymore he doesn't seem to be helpful or taking me serious. I think I have it because there is no other explanation for this sudden sensivity in my bowels. I read that it could get worse for some people so I'm also scared if mine is slowly developing. I also had bad nausea until I started Elavil 50mgs a day two months ago and my stomach is fine now. Though it doesn't help the sensivity of my bowels.Sorry for this boring story and my bad english. Do you think I have IBS? I think I have it.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Does sound like IBS.Would you be willing to do something daily to control the diarrhea rather than the wait until it is bad then play catch up.If you would take a dietary supplement you might check out the Calcium threads pinned in the diarrhea forum at the top.A low dose of Imodium or Lomotil on a regular basis may also keep things under control.Lighter stool means they are moving a bit faster (it takes awhile for the yellow liquid starting stool to turn into solid dark brown stool, as it goes through the colon the color is changed by bacteria and the excess water is removed. Diarrhea/loose/soft stools tend to be lighter than solid or constipated stools).Fatty foods, alcohol, and lactose can be problems for IBSers. They do the same thing to normal healthy people, but IBSers can't tolerate the effects as they could when they were normal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply again. I must be more careful, you're right. Sometimes I really crave for sweets because I like them a lot and used to eat them a lot but now I know I have to be very cautious. I'll check the dietary supplements, thanks. Though when my diarrhea stops it seems that I'm getting mild constipation (three or two times a week) so taking Lomotil on a regular basis might make it worse I guess. By the way I rarely eat any vegetables or fruits is this ok?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Ideally you do want to include fruits and veggies in the diet because they have a lot of vitamins and other compounds that are good for you.Cooked fruits and veggies tend to be better tolerated by IBSers and you may need to limit serving sizes so you can include them without upsetting the IBS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts