Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've not yet been diagnosed but I have loads of symptoms, which I think could mean I have IBS.*I have very bad wind*D about 8 times a day but I don't have to rush to the toilet like some people are describing.*I get really bad bloating at times until I look like I�m about 6 months pregnant.*Once during and after sex for about 8 hours I got extremely bad pain in my cervix and rectum which (although I�ve not had one yet) could only be described as the feel you get when having a baby.Is this IBS or should i be preparing myself for something worse? (Although this is as bad enough!!)

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Until you've been to the doctor to get stuff ruled out it is hard to say.Here are the symptoms that describe IBS (need 2 to call it IBS).Pain or discomfort that is relieved by a bowel movementPain or discomfort that is associated with a change in stool frequencyPain or discomfort that is associated with a change in stool consistancy.-----Many people with IBS will have more than 3 BM's a day or less than 3 a week.Many people with IBS have problems with gas (for most it may be more a problem of being intolerant to normal levels of gas rather than increased amounts of gas).Depending on your age, your symptom profile, and your doctor they may run some tests before making a diagnosis (generally if your younger, or your symptoms are either typical or not on the severe end of the spectrum you will have fewer tests run than if you are older, have atypical symptoms, or have severe pain, constipation, or diarrhea).K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.And from the as if IBS isn't enough of a worry file...from New Scientist's Feedback column: photographed on the door of a ladies' loo in the Sequoia National Park in California by reader Liz Masterman: "Please keep door closed to discourage bears from entering."

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i pass wind about 100 times a day and in the morning it the first thing i have to do for five minutes before i can go to the toilet!!!Not nice!!!

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:i pass wind about 100 times a day
(So many reports so suddenly! Is this contagious?)Try food fasting for a couple of days and see if the count changes.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Probably only contagious as a meme.100X a day is such a nice round way too many times a day and is a number that it sticks in the mind and is transmitted in the writing of each person.Besides anyone who reads flux's posts with any frequency picks up on 40 X a day not being unusual in his view. So he may be part of the contagiousness of the 100x a day meme. People may feel they need to defend their notion that their gas is unusual in frequency or volume. 100 X a day is a handy approximation. I dunno if anyone actually counts farts that accurately. (For those of you who haven't run the math 100x a day is about every 10 minutes for the whole waking portion of the day assuming ~8 hours of sleep)(meme is an idea that survives by spreading from mind to mind and is used by some theorists of the mind).K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.And from the as if IBS isn't enough of a worry file...from New Scientist's Feedback column: photographed on the door of a ladies' loo in the Sequoia National Park in California by reader Liz Masterman: "Please keep door closed to discourage bears from entering."

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK OK 100 x a day might be a bit of an excessive estimate but what ever the actual number of farts really is..there are enough for my partner and my parents to comment. My user name on this sight is not my choice but my partners!!!!The scary thing more often can be their velocity rather than their frequency! Anyone had any luck eating those healthy bacteria yoghurts or the herbal equivalent??

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Sorry for getting into this thread but I would like to respond to what flux and kmottus said. I must admit that when I first mentioned 100 times a day, I picked a number which I thought would be enough for flux to take notice since in the previous posts he had not disclosed what amount was too much. and I knew that question would be asked. However in my case I was underestimating. More like every five mins and sometimes every minute. But Flux you brought about this contagion. LOL

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Yes I agree with you, windy bum, the scary thing about gas is the velocity sometimes. It has got to do with abnormal spasms of the bowel. I have even heard that the lack of coordination of the contractions we have in our gut builds up pressure in the gases and maybe have something to do with their velocity. There is a post called probiotics helped anyone with gas? in the last week and you will see some replies there. It seems to have helped some. I think the names were Probiotica and culturelle.Since I have come on the board there has been one who tried chinese herbs and acupuncture which helped her with gas. Maybe it was the herbs more than acupuncture which helped her with gas and Maybe she will read your post and reply or you could write a post about chinese herbs to get her attention.Chlorofresh helps with the odorThis is what I have learned from the posts and I hope it helps you

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Also wanted to say( why can't I think before replying and put it alll in one post) that Pete here has tried neomycin, an antibiotic, for small intestine bacterial overgrowth, and he is hardly passing gas any more so there may be some relief in sight

1 - 10 of 10 Posts