Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out if what I have is IBS as I've been to several doctors and they can't seem to find anything wrong. For the last 2 years, within 20 minutes of waking up every morning I suddenly get severe abdominal cramps and an urgency to go to the bathroom and I have diarrhea. This only happens once I get up regardless of what time it is. I have never woken up with these symptoms, I only get the cramps and urgency after I've been up for a short time. I sometimes then have to go to the bathroom an additional 1 or 2 times within the next couple of hours. After this time my stomach usually calms down and I am fine for the rest of the day although on occassion it lasts most of the day. The only thing that controls the diarrhea and gives me relatively normal stools is Imodium. I have to take 2 before bedtime and 2 in the morning. If I stop it for a few days the diarrhea returns. I've also tried hyoscyamine and lomotil but neither has helped me. I've had 2 colonoscopies, an endoscopy, a small bowel xray and a small bowel capsule study done and they have all come back normal. In addition, I've had stools samples tested and blood work done and nothing wrong has shown up on any of these test. I'm kind of at my wits ends as to figure out what's wrong and what to do next to eliminate my symptoms since every test has come back normal. Having this problem every morning has affected my commute to work as I find the need to stop many times on the way to work to find a bathroom. The last doctor said that it's probably IBS, but didn't really tell me how to solve my problems in the morning.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Likely is IBS.The colon in everyone is much more active right around the time we get up. IBS is when all the tests are normal, so that sounds about right.Imodium won't stop the diarrhea (i.e. cure it) but that is a way to control it.You could try the calcium with each meal thing, or one of the mind body sorts of techniques.K.PS. Antidepressants or Lotronex can be used to soothe the nerves in the gut that cause this over-reaction to the "time to get up" signal.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Likely is IBS.The colon in everyone is much more active right around the time we get up. IBS is when all the tests are normal, so that sounds about right.Imodium won't stop the diarrhea (i.e. cure it) but that is a way to control it.You could try the calcium with each meal thing, or one of the mind body sorts of techniques.K.PS. Antidepressants or Lotronex can be used to soothe the nerves in the gut that cause this over-reaction to the "time to get up" signal.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I have the same trouble where it takes me 2-3 hours in the morning before my colon is done going for the day. The only thing that helps is to get up extra early if i have to be some where in the morning, I usually schedule things for the afternoon. Wish I had better suggestions.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I have the same trouble where it takes me 2-3 hours in the morning before my colon is done going for the day. The only thing that helps is to get up extra early if i have to be some where in the morning, I usually schedule things for the afternoon. Wish I had better suggestions.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi. I am the same ! Mornings belong to the bowel !!! I've retired early and no longer have the worry about the commute, but remember several terrible incidents on the way to work. I now avoid ANY food or drink if I have to drive in the morning. I am taking Celexa now (3 months) and feel it may have eased the anxiety of those unexpected attacks. I've never found any diet that soothes things and I now think controlling the anxiety may be the solution. I still have days when I "go" 2 or three times, but they are rarer and I am frequently at one shot a day for long periods. If you are stressed at work, as I was, I'm sure that doesn't help things. I sure sympathise with you and really feel these anti depressents may be an answer. I'm 54 and have been IBS all my life.Good luck !Steve

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi. I am the same ! Mornings belong to the bowel !!! I've retired early and no longer have the worry about the commute, but remember several terrible incidents on the way to work. I now avoid ANY food or drink if I have to drive in the morning. I am taking Celexa now (3 months) and feel it may have eased the anxiety of those unexpected attacks. I've never found any diet that soothes things and I now think controlling the anxiety may be the solution. I still have days when I "go" 2 or three times, but they are rarer and I am frequently at one shot a day for long periods. If you are stressed at work, as I was, I'm sure that doesn't help things. I sure sympathise with you and really feel these anti depressents may be an answer. I'm 54 and have been IBS all my life.Good luck !Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.