Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of symptms of IBS, and I think I have it, but I'm not sure. I have always had a sensitive stomach, but never thought anything about it, just thought I was eating something that caused me to get gas a diarhhea. Then I heard of IBS on TV, and it got me thinking. The only thing that has me a little confused is the pain part. I have pain somtimes in my abdomen, right under my ribcage, above my bellybutton. Can someone describe the pain symtoms of IBS? Is it more of a gas pain, or a localized pain? It is differet all the time. Sometimes it's kind of a burning pain, sometimes just aches a little. It's off and on, and seems to only be there when my stomach is empty. I thought maybe it could be an ulcer, who knows. But I have a bowel movenment several times a day, sometimes with a stomach ache, and once and a while I'll have bouts of constipation. But the bowel movements aren't severe, meaning I usually don't have to run to the bathroom. I just get a gassy feeling. I am just kind of worried about the pain in my stomach. And lately I feel bloated ALL DAY LONG! I know I should see the doctor, but yuck! I hate going to the doctor, especially for things like this. Help!

·
Registered
709 Posts
heya jeanie,lotsa stomach problems show very similar symptoms so it's hard to say if you have ibs...you should really go to the doc, talk about your symptoms, get some tests done--all that fun stuff. yeah, i know, it's not really fun, but it's best to know what's wrong so that you can get proper treatment and feel better.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Karla, that is totally me! I sometimes will have really bad pain in my ribcage, and then I'll have to hit the toilet too. I think that the pain might be gas? Who knows, but yes, I've had 3 kids, and after my 3rd, every symptom is worse. What kind of meds can they prescribe? I've only seen commercials for Zelnorm, but I rarely am constipated, and I know that Zelnorm helps with that. I thought there wasn't much you could do about IBS when it comes to meds? Is this true?

·
Registered
123 Posts
One of the diagnostic criteria for IBS is "abdominal pain relieved by evacuation." In other words, telltale IBS pain is pain that doesn't just hurt, it almost shouts, "Get to the bathroom right now!" Also, the pain shouldn't be as bad once you've gone. However, with me, it sometimes comes back, then I have to potty again. And of course, sometimes, there's incomplete evacuation, when you feel like you still have to go but you can't seem to finish.For me, I get really weird pain that's not always the same or even in the same place. My classic pain hurts too much to describe, but it doesn't hurt like slamming your finger in a door, it hurts like I feel like I'm going to throw up if I don't get to a bathroom and have a movement. It comes in waves, and each wave is accompanied by the sense that I can't hold it and goosebumps!I have had other pain, crampy, sharp, sometimes dull, and it moves a lot. Sometimes around the belt line, sometimes under my rib cage, sometimes really low. It is always best to get checked out, though.Good luck!Amy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.