Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been dealing with IBS-C since I was around 7 or 8, and I am 15 years old as of this year. I have been going through a cycle of getting backed up, than clearing myself out, than getting backed up again consistantly for those 7 years. Most of the time these cycles lasted from anywhere between 2-4 months, and sometimes it seemed as if I had cleared myself out but there would always be something left behind to restart the cycle. Just a few weeks ago, I finally managed to fully clear myself with the help of Miralax, and managed to keep myself regular for a week before I was backed up again. I'm wondering if there is any damage that my intestines and colon may have sustained during this time. I have read up a lot about the toxicity of stool, and I assume that having it in there for months on end couldn't have been good for my digestive system. I feel fine however, and (amazingly enough) don't have any hemhroids or anything like that. Would I have any signs that I had colon cancer or internal damage to my digestive system? Also (sorry to attach another question), but my twin sister also has IBS-C and has been unsuccessful at regulating herself either, do you think it could be genetic or a byproduct of how we were brought up?

Thanks,
Zach :)

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I can't answer the first part with certainty but at that young an age I would doubt you have any damage.

I definitely think IBS can be genetic. It runs on my mom's side of the family.

IBS usually doesn't go away on its own. If I were you I would take something every day to help you go.

More info on chronic constipation (click on below link to read):

http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/topic/325690-the-abcs-of-chronic-constipation-aka-ibs-c/

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
51 Posts
All my gastros that I've been to over the years have said that, if it's just IBS, it will not damage your intestines, nor will it lead to any kind of disease later on. It'll just stay the way it is, or subside later on in life.

So, make sure you don't have anything else and just IBS and you're good.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would think large size stools as seen in IBS-C often, forming in the colon - and this process continuing over prolonged periods of time would damage the colon somewhat...just my guess...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have been dealing with IBS-C since I was around 7 or 8, and I am 15 years old as of this year. I have been going through a cycle of getting backed up, than clearing myself out, than getting backed up again consistantly for those 7 years. Most of the time these cycles lasted from anywhere between 2-4 months, and sometimes it seemed as if I had cleared myself out but there would always be something left behind to restart the cycle. Just a few weeks ago, I finally managed to fully clear myself with the help of Miralax, and managed to keep myself regular for a week before I was backed up again. I'm wondering if there is any damage that my intestines and colon may have sustained during this time. I have read up a lot about the toxicity of stool, and I assume that having it in there for months on end couldn't have been good for my digestive system. I feel fine however, and (amazingly enough) don't have any hemhroids or anything like that. Would I have any signs that I had colon cancer or internal damage to my digestive system? Also (sorry to attach another question), but my twin sister also has IBS-C and has been unsuccessful at regulating herself either, do you think it could be genetic or a byproduct of how we were brought up?

Thanks,
Zach
smile.png
Hey zach

im not a doctor but my doctor told me there is a big connection between your brain and gut so maybe you just got unlucky and have a slow GI system. I dont know. You say you feel fine so thats good. I have GI problems and I do not feel fine so maybe this problem you have is just who you are? Im beginning to wonder if the IBS-C i have is now who i am and to just accept it for what it is. It really puts a damper on my bad. Maybe ask your doc about a colonoscopy?? I have yet to get one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey zach,

I am not a doctor either but I have been dealing with the same problem for years and I wondered the same things that you did. I drove myself crazy wondering if my intestines were damaged and if my body was toxic because i couldn't go to the bathroom. The stress that caused me actually made it worse! Everyone's body is different and it is normal to go multiple times a day or once every three days. I highly recommend getting a colonoscopy so they can check for serious disease like chron's, and if they rule that out as they did for me the gastroentrologist told me that i was clean as a whistle and to start taking metamucil each day - a teaspoon and gradually work my way up to tablespoons as bulk fiber is initially hard on your body. He said to make sure to get around 30 grams of fiber each day but to introduce it gradually. I could never ever go without taking something and i never thought metamucil would work but after a month or so of taking it i am finally at ease! i take a teaspoon every morning, eat a healthy diet, take probiotics and I also take 150 mg capsule of magnesium at night time. Magnesium is a natural stool softner and is not harmful to your body, which might work for you as well. I would recommend trying that as it worked for me but again everyone is different. Hope this helps :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts