Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was feeling pretty o.k the last few months but not I have again mushy stools, no appetite at all and abdominal discomfort and anxiety about the whole situation. The anxiety is usually about " will it last for month again" " will it ruin my vacation" and "is it still again IBS or something else". When you have breaks from IBS how do you know it's still IBS ? I am aware of all the red flags symptoms like fever, anemia and bloody stool but I am also aware that there are a lot of diseases out there which don't have these red flag symptoms. Just for example : Ovarian cancer has sympthoms like IBS. Do IBSers need to be checked maybe yearly to make sure that it's still IBS (esspecially when you get older) ???? It's confusing when you had a break and than you feel bad again. Getting older adds to the worry. Or can we just have peace of mind as long as we don't have the red flag symptoms ? Is it maybe enough to have a regular physical once a year because they usually do the complete blood count ? I want to make suer I am doing the right thing.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
For me?? Once a year would seem about right. Unless of course any new symptoms and/or a significant increase in severity of some old symptoms occurs. But it depends.. some Dr's might want to see some people every 6 months... I have a script for an antispasmodic and I do have D everyday.. plus I have other health issues, so my Dr wants me in there every 6 months. He will only give me 6 months worth of my antispasmodic... and other meds... so he is comfortable with 6 months.He does bloodwork and always checks for dehydration etc.. So, generally speaking,I would think if nothing changes.. every 6 months to a year would probably be sufficient. But each of us have different needs so a discussion with one's Dr about how often is necessary may help make it clear what is best for each of us.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
As long as the symptoms come and go with your usual severity and pattern I wouldn't get check ups any more often than anyone else. An annual physical (get a complete blood count, and the usual general health check stuff) should catch most anything new.If you have new symptoms (especially red flag symptoms), or a major change in severity, then see the doctor sooner. For example, women the bloating from ovarian cancer (or other ovary problems) is usually comes on with severe bloating and it doesn't go away. You look 9 months pregnant all day, every day and the belly is actually distended rather than you just feel full. If it is the usual feel bloated for awhile after a meal, or some days and not others and it is the same kind of bloating you had before then you don't need an emergency appointment to get all your tests redone, even if you had a break from the IBS for a couple of weeks..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.