Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this probably belongs in the OTC Meds forum, but it's not as busy as this one, so thought I'd ask here anyway... (Hope that's okay!)Anyway, I just wondered if there were any over the counter medicines for anxiety... As far as I know there aren't. Also, I'm curious about Peppermint pills.... I've heard someone mention them on here before, but I can't find them anywhere... Do they work? And where can you get them? I've tried all the big retail stores (Wal-mart, Target, Kmart, etc...).I'm really not sure that I have IBS. Maybe I do, maybe I don't. (I have been diagnosed with it) If I do, it's very mild. More than anything, I think I just have a problem with Anxiety. I was on Zoloft for a while, and it helped a lot, but I didn't like the side effects. And my work schedule has prevented me from getting back to the doctor. I'm hoping to go next week, but until then, is there anything over the counter that would help? Thanks!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hey BJ,The only thing that I know of OTC is St. John's Wort. But that is a naturopathic remedy often suggested for depression. I *do* know that it interacts with many prescription drugs - so you should check w/ your doc before you try taking it. I tried it years ago and it didn't help. It is supposed to take 2 to 3 weeks until it starts helping. I also believe in studies that it did not do any better than placebos. I think peppermint is more of a digestive system relaxer. In terms of anxiety - if you dont want to see the doc (you should, though) you can try yoga, meditation and relaxation exercises. Darn, even try those hypnotherapy tapes that everyone talks about.For me, yoga will help sometimes... even deep breathing and visualizing my "happy place". But if you truly have anxiety, you can ask for a different antidepressant. Zoloft is strong stuff... I've found prozac to be gentler and I know that others have taken paxil, etc. Or even buspar or xanax may help you.In terms of other things I do.. I drink chamomile tea and try to relax and zone out to a good book or a good tv show at least an hour each night.Good Luck and hope this helps,Roo

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi BJ: What type of side effects did zoloft give you? Just curious, because I took it for 2 days. It worked great - except for the IBS. I'm not an anxiouty (is that a word?) type person, but it did seem to make all my problems seem small. The only 2 side effects I had were: 1. I felt like I was on a vibrator (gave me a buzz) and 2. I felt really bad in the D- department, but could not go. I cut the dose in 1/2 (to 25 mg) and the buzz went away. The IBS was still there, so I stopped.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
The supplement Griffonia Seed should also effect serotonin levels. As I understand it it aids in the creation of ser. while the Wort acts like an SSRI. I know of one supplement that combines them; but I have never had the need to use them.Mark

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Mostly you are talking herbal stuff OTC.Kava is sometimes recommended for anxiety, some countries have banned it I believe. http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/11571.cfm?...rdID=444&tab=HC has some infoValarian is sometimes mentioned as well and it is sedating. http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/11571.cfm?...rdID=430&tab=HC is some info, it is often used to promot sleep.Some people claim bach flower works for them http://www.bachflower.com/I'd also suggest looking into Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (either self help book or a therapist) Some people find http://www.ibsaudioprogram.com helps with anxiety surrounding IBS.I use Peppermint Altoids, they work for me. Usually something like a GNC or vitamin store will have peppermint as well.K.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, thanks for all the quick replies, guys. It's much appreciated. Oldie: as far as side effects with the Zoloft, it made me sleepy, and totally killed my usually high libido....And I stayed on it for over 3 weeks, even tried cutting the doses and I stayed the same. Plus, it made me never feel hungry. Which may have been a good thing since I'm generally an emotional eater. I do intend to check with my doc about getting a different anti-anxiety med.Kath, I'm going to look into your suggestions. I usually keep lifesaver peppermints with me, bu I wanted something stronger. I never thought of the "curiously strong" altoids! Silly me.....I've been wanting to get the IBS Hypnotherapy program CDs, but they're so expensive.... I'm kind of waiting to use them as a last resort. I mean, if they help, it would definitely be worth it, but if they don't...Then it's a lot of money wasted. I'm a young college student not living with my parents, so I'm definitely not rich... Or even close.Again, thanks for the advice guys. You all gave me some great ideas.
MUCH appreciated!

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Hi - just to say, I did the hypno as a last resort too - after having IBS for many years - my son is your age and in the same boat financially - so totally understand - but if you divide the cost by the number of days of the rest of your life - it's pretty cheap - especially compared to taking meds the rest of your life - I am off the SSRI's, and other IBS RXs - thanks to it - but, it doesn't work for everyone, just most.Below is a post taken from a letter of someone who used the hypno successfully and not as a last resort.Good luck no matter what you choose, and all the best to you in feeling better.
Take care.------------------...I suffered from IBS symptoms for less that a year. It horrifies me to read in the literature of people who are enduring this syndrome for year upon year upon year - and it grieves me to think that for 80% of these people relief might be merely 100 days away if only they knew! ------------------------

·
Registered
359 Posts
Years ago, I tried the St. John's Wort. Most of it didn't help, but I have found with the herbal remedies that the German brands work better. They tend to use the herbals and believe in them more. Consequently, they make a better product. The brand I used was Kira from Lichtwer Pharma. It's a round pill instead of the usual capsules. There is a phone number in case you can't find them. 1-800-9-2-PROOF. (That's the one listed on the package.) iherb.com It also says on the package "To maintain a healthy emotional balance and well-being." As I recall, they helped pretty well. Like the SSRIs, they take a while to build up in your system. Good luck.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
What is the opposite of anxiety?also just fyi"Laughter is a form of internal jogging, according to this article. It exercises the body and stimulates the release of beneficial brain neurotransmitters and hormones. Adults laugh about 15 times a day compared to kids who laugh 400 times a day. No wonder they have so much energy! The new study of phsychoneuroimmunology focuses on how state of mind affects health. Laughter is a form of good stress, or stress in reverse. Medical studies are showing that the immune system actually gets a boost from laughter! It triggers similar physiological processes to exercise. Endorphins and neurotransmitters are increased and stress hormone levels of adrenaline and cortisol are decreased. T-cells which combat viruses are activated and ready to do battle, In some clinics throughout the world, laughter is beginning to take the place of anti-depressant drugs and pain killers. Of special note is that even faking laughter will cause the body to respond as if it is real. He who laughs…..lasts!Writers of this article, Drs. Gael Crystal & Patrick Flanagan are world-recognized researchers, doctors and Nobel Prize nominees.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Check out Bach's Rescue Remedy. i don't know if it works, but it seems to help a little for me when I'm really anxious.it comes in a little dropper bottle and you put a few drops under your tongue. Can get it at health food stores.It's a lot of alchohol, which is probably the best calming part of it.. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.