Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of people say they have worse symptoms during hot weather. It's probably because people who don't like hot weather have more stress and there's less opportunities for exercise. However, cold drinks and food isn't good for the gut. Traditional Chinese and Indian medicine say this but in my personal experience, hot liquids calm my growling stomach while it feels tighter after cold ones. It's why they tell you to use a heat pad when your stomach has cramps.

I can have cold drinks during the day but do know another IBS sufferer who can't have ANY cold foods. And I wouldn't have it at night when I'm trying to sleep. That means a heat wave is the ultimate no-win situation for IBS patients. I can't stand it when I have a growling stomach preventing me from sleeping but I'm too hot to want the herbal teas that normally help me. How do people cope?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yes best to keep the stomach at 101 degrees. Do not skip meals. Eat protein first. Soups broths calm the stomach as well. Also look into whole grains. Brown rice, oatmeal, Millet can have a soothing effect. Mix up you foods. Don't eat the same thing. Also, nowadays most cold food is considered Yin, expanding, wet, Hot food is constricting and dryer, in general, not always. I eat oranges that's one of the only things Ill eat cold. Apples and oranges (oranges because they are anti estrogen, good for the male and male sex organs).

Focus on variety and perhaps don't fear whole grains. Corn, oatmeal, millet, rye, wheat. brown, red and wild rice.

If you are of scadinavian or german descent, you can probably enjoy cheese now and then. Everyone else it depends on individual tolerance

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hot and humid weather is a nightmare for me.

I feel like I have food poisoning symptoms until I actually realize that it's just IBS at its worst. You have strong indigestion, bloating and also really bad nausea. You feel a strong discomfort in your stomach and chest. All these horrible symptoms seem to show the most in hot weather for me.

I am now dreading summer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts