Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HiThe consultant has said I have IBS. I have cramping bloating and wind..and anxiety.. and I am worse at night time.Do others have symptoms most of the time.?What pain killers can you take with IBS?Fiona

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Generally you do not take painkillers for IBS.NSAIDS (over the counter or prescription) tend to make IBSworseNarcotic pain meds can sometimes make the gut nerves much more sensitive to pain, especially if you are in pain every day.Antispasmodics are used for pain in IBS.Low dose antidepressants (pain nerves use the same neurotransmitters as mood nerves) are the other main drug used.Mind body techniques also sometimes work well as the pain is from nerves that scream when they shouldn't not be and this gives them some feedback to help them only send pain signals when they should be doing it.Sometimes treating the anxiety will help with the IBS pain as anxiety almost always makes pain much worse.Symptoms range from a couple of days a month to every single day for decades on end. There is no upper level for # hours per day or # days per week for IBS.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I don't think there is any reason to worry since your tests were negative.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The only time I think there is cause for worry is if you see a big change in symptom frequency or severity since all the tests were done.If you notice new symptoms or you go from mild pain a couple of times a month to severe pain every day, then you might need to be rechecked, but as long as things stay in your usual range I would try to avoid the anxiety. If you can't control the worry on your own then get help with that. Anxiety makes every disease more severe and more painful. It doesn't make anything better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.