Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A day doesn't go by that I don't have some sort of IBS trouble. A lot of you refer to flare-ups. I do have days that are worse, but every day I have something going on. I can't not think about it -- ever!Do you have "normal" days and "flare-up" days? Maybe I should talk to my doctor about that?

·
Registered
96 Posts
The flare-ups are worse than the other days. I think we come to a point when we experience days or sometimes even weeks that are less painful as if they are good days. I've had continuous problems again for 6 months now including two major flare-ups.I do have to be honest though and say I have had days before this last episode when I felt absolutely wonderful and full of energy.
I've had IBS for 8 years now.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
As I've mentioned before, I've had no real problems for 4 years; but still, every day's movement is a reminder, behind every fart is the fear. I examine them like the sage's in "The Last Emperor" for any sign of it's return.For me, I don't think I will ever put it completely behind me.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have to say that I do think about it every day, but maybe not so much as I did a few years ago when it was at its worst and I thought I was going to have to give up my job.I read an article on IBS which said it was like being in love - it's the first thing you think about in the morning, and the last thing on your mind before you go to sleep, not to mention all the hours you spend thinking about it during the day!

·
Registered
8 Posts
For the most part, I do think about it everyday. I keep a diary of what I eat and drink on a daily basis, and also my symptoms. This helps me to see if there's a correlation between the food I eat and the way I feel. But on the down side, it does make me think about my problem every day

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm coming up on the 1 year anniversary of being diagnosed in the ER as having IBS, and have made great progress. That said, I have to agree with the majority: I think about IBS every day. It's a testament to how effective a device IBS is to keep me focused on the physical rather than the psychological!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I thought I'd never be able to have a day without suffering from IBS, but I have found absolutely wonderful control for my IBS-D -- Dicyclomine. I still eat a diet that won't tempt fate, but yes, there are finally days where I don't have to worry about that awful pain (at least from the IBS ... my other immune disorders are a different story). I hope you are able to accomplish that, as well.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don't have symptoms everyday but I think about it everyday. I take medication 2-3 times a day for IBS-D so it kind of keeps things fresh in your mind. And pretty much every meal makes me wonder how I will feel after eating it. When I am having an episode I need to stick to starches (bread, potatoes, pasta) or I will be on the toilet 24/7 and in horrible pain. Even medication doesn't seem to help then.I don't really think I would tolerate it if I was sick daily. I hope you and your doctor can figure something out.

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
even though most of it is under control it still controls my life. I can't eat anything at anyone's house (unlees thay are serving black beans, aduki or mung bean). I can't eat out at any restaurant. My life is centered around the strict control that I must apply to keep symptoms from rearing.Despite being better, this is still a nightmare but not nearly as bad as it used to be when i had severe pain, constant gas, pressure, bloating, and many other symptoms.I am holding out hope that as time goes by i continue to improve. All I can do is continue to try alternative type treatments. Some seem to actually be working.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes, I think about it everyday. I have to strategically plan meetings, plan out in my head what I'll be able to eat for lunch a week from Saturday because my son has a 1:00 football game (no lunch for me that day, unfortunately). Some days, I even alter what I'll wear (no light colored clothes on those bad days...just in case
)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.