Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been typing away since I am new to the board and listening to all your suggestions. I don't know if I am a c or d but I'll just say i'm both. So i've decided to start taking citrucel to try for some normalacy. I did it last night. My lower abdomen is so bloated,today, even more so than normal and it is very uncomfortable. I will try to keep it up for a week, but if it doesn't stop I will not continue to add more fuel to the fire.Does anyone know how long it should take to get used to it? .

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
You do have to stick with it for a while, but start out with tiny amounts!! I made that mistake at first and the gas and bloating was horrible! Start with just a little bit a day and slowly increase the dose. I tried it for a month and finally had to switch to Fibercon. That has worked great for me.Ty

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to use the citrucel but I it caused major gas pains for me. I switched to Fibercon and it was much better. You have to take it for a while though before you see any results start. I now take the Caltrate and it has made a world of a difference for me. Good Luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been using citrucel for about two months, and it's been working pretty well. I started at just 1/4 teaspoon at lunch time once a day. One teaspoon per day is all I'm using now- if I tried to take the tablespoon plus they recommend on the jar as a laxative I'm sure I'd explode. I'd recommend starting out with a tiny bit and increasing the dose about every three days (I went from 1/4 to 1/2 to 1 teaspoon) until you get the improvement you're looking for. I probably won't increase from where I am unless I start having problems again- I am both C and D. Remember the water with it!kate

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I tried Citracel once......and NEVER AGAIN! I took it at night. It did not promote a BM, the next day, plus I was never so bloated, gassy and uncomfortable in my life. I threw it in the trash can.------------------"Today is the first day of the rest of your life"Rose

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My family physician recommended Citrucel when he first diagnosed me. I took it for 3 years. I started out slow, gradually increased the dose to 2 Tablespoons. I finally realized it wasn't doing me any good, just giving me more stool to expel. The LAST thing I needed!BTW, my father-in-law has IBS-C and I can't figure out what he's complaining about. I long to be constipated! I've never had any discomfort when I was.------------------SueTrying to live a "normal life"!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi- I never tried citrucel, but have had sucess keeping my D and C down to a minimum with Fibercon. It took a few weeks to really notice a difference at first. The down side for me is gas, but it sure beats (for me) the alternative. The other thing I notice is that the fiber causes me to "go alot", but it is formed!, I think because it bulks up the stool. Initially the GI DR told me to take metamucil but I said it would be easier to take pills and he said that Fibercon was fine. I think that you sometimes have to experiment with different forms of fiber to find what you can tolerate, you need to go slowly at first. I was thinking of switching to Caltrate cause I haven't heard anyone say it causes gas, but I'm afaid if I stop the Fibercon I'll be too C. I hope you find something that works well for you soon
------------------Nancy

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I took citrucel for a while and then switched to metamucil and then to a natural unflavored psyllium seed powder form the health food store (tastes like dirt water). As long as I drink an extra glass of clear water following the dose, none of them gave me a problem. If I forgot the extra water they gave me gas.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been taking Metamucil twice a day for about six weeks. At first it didn't seem to help at all and I was very bloated. A friend and neighbor of mine has had this for 14 years and told me that it would take a while for my system to adjust. That turned out to be true and now I usually only go to the bathroom once or twice a day. But if I get nervous all bets are off! The orange flavor of the Metamucil isn't bad either. Hope you feel better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.