Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant tell sometimes. Thats why I must panic. I cant tell if I have to let out some wind or I have to deficate (the defication is 'D') . Does anyone have this problem? Its terrible because I had a public accident once and ever since then, I cant predict what is coming out. Its terrible, I know.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah, my PFS (that stands for Poop-or-Fart Sensor, by the way) also goes on the blink every now and then. It's incredibly unnerving when your body doesn't send you a clear signal of what it wants you to do. And like you, I've definitely "rolled the dice" a few times and...well...LOST! Whenever I'm having one of those days, I always hear Clint Eastwood's voice in my head, the line from Dirty Harry: "You gotta ask yourself one question: Do you feel lucky?" Tim

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Surprise farts were what drove me to tears when this was a part of my daily existance. Luckily for me, by the time that developed, I was working from home so the mess could be cleaned without public embarrassment.Been there, done that, did the laundry: you are so not alone.Mark

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
quote:But Im too young for this..
Yup. We were ALL too young for this.. IBS happens to young people typically.IBS incontinence has nothing to do with age.
quote:Its not fair to my husband and kids.
Nope it isn't. It isn't fair to us either.But I have learned I was never guaranteed "fair" in this life.
quote:...but we cant go out to eat anywhere on special ocassions.)
Sure you can. You may not be able to eat what you would like off the menu. And you may need to ask the server to put sauces or gravy or other IBS offensive stuff "on the side".And you may need to stay in town or the next town over. And you may need to take two imodium before you leave the house....But you can indeed go out to eat.Just not like you were used to.Life on Life's terms.... it's a &itch sometimes.. isn't it?But.. everyone has to live life on life's terms.No one's body is absolutely perfect.Everybody has got something.And I got this.I can think of worse things....And I know, without doubt, that I am in the best company on the face of this earth.(((joel)))It does take some time to adjust to this... but one can.
BQ

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Me too been there, dont that. ANd YES it is horible and so embarassing. Hate it!!!!!!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yes. Me too. Although after a while I didn't have any trouble determining what it was because it was ALWAYS D. NEVER just gas. Now if I have made a trip to the bathroom only to find that it's "just a fart", it makes my day!! How pathetic is that?I'm too young for this too and I bet I'm a lot older than you. I can get to feeling pretty sorry for myself but I agree with BQ. It could be a lot worse. I have a friend who is slowly being crippled by MS and other fried who is fighting a reoccurance of ovarian cancer. The fact that others are in worse shape doesn't make us IBSers any less sick but it does help to put it in perspective.If I have to run to the bathroom to fart - well, at least I can run!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Saddly I have to agree.Who knew that a fart could be such a scarey thing.Worse for us is we have to hold it long enough to make it to a (hopfully private) bathroom to find out.As for late I have been a bit braver and just let it rip with I am in the car - but that fear is always in the back of my mind.

·
Registered
65 Posts
quote:Originally posted by BQ:
quote:But Im too young for this..
Yup. We were ALL too young for this.. IBS happens to young people typically.IBS incontinence has nothing to do with age.
quote:Its not fair to my husband and kids.
Nope it isn't. It isn't fair to us either.But I have learned I was never guaranteed "fair" in this life.
quote:...but we cant go out to eat anywhere on special ocassions.)
Sure you can. You may not be able to eat what you would like off the menu. And you may need to ask the server to put sauces or gravy or other IBS offensive stuff "on the side".And you may need to stay in town or the next town over. And you may need to take two imodium before you leave the house....But you can indeed go out to eat.Just not like you were used to.Life on Life's terms.... it's a &itch sometimes.. isn't it?But.. everyone has to live life on life's terms.No one's body is absolutely perfect.Everybody has got something.And I got this.I can think of worse things....And I know, without doubt, that I am in the best company on the face of this earth.(((joel)))It does take some time to adjust to this... but one can.
BQ
well said. right on!trust me...ive had so many accidents ive lost count. but the point is,we all still get up everyday and take a stab at it anyway. and that's inspiring enough for me. ---but the gas thing sucks...and since im in public high school, its not like i can just fart in class w/o ppl noticing, so i just go to the bathroom anyway, whether d comes out or not..its still relieving to my gut

·
Registered
65 Posts
joelcoqui so far ive managed to keep it a secret from the other kids because they'd definately give me a problem about it...and quite frankly, i see no benefit in having them all know anyway. i did hint at my having ibs to one of my close friends when i showed her the bathroom pass i have. but not five seconds after pulling it out of my pocket she goes(very loudly with a bunch of other kids around) "ewww, ahahaha, you have a poop pass". i was really embarassed, and made up some lame story that i had the pass b/c of a bladder infection, but since then i havent mentioned it to any other of my peers. they notice that i go to the bathroom a lot, andthat i'm absent more than most of them are, but i dont talk about it to them, and they dont really press me on the subject anymore, i guess because they're used to it(they did bug me alot freshman year, but after 4 years, my habitual bathroom breaks and absences are normal for them now, and i've figured out howto do my thing without any of them noticing). ...and because the nurse and my teachers are aware of my problem, if i really feel sick, they let me go home early, or stay home, without giving me a hard time like they do for other kids. what grade is your son in?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I never told anyone I had it either. If a friend had a birthday "meal" I'd sip my water and maybe get a roll and tell them I had food allergies. I still have a tendancy to use that excuse when people ask me to dinner etc. A couple of my friends now know but at 28 and having had it my whole life I just don't care really anymore-lol. But school friends can be pretty harsh. I too used to head home if things got too bad, but I was always the kid who had to dash off to the toilet every class.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I am afraid to pass gas or blow one or pass wind LOL I wait until I am in the "safe" zone.....and 8 out of 10 times I was right to do so ::
)) Also my 15 year old son refers to this as my "Butt Disease" young kids just don't understand but I have noticed he is starting to listen to me...I have emergency underwear with me just in case.....I switched purses and have to put another pair in there...

·
Registered
461 Posts
quote:Originally posted by T.P. 923:Yeah, my PFS (that stands for Poop-or-Fart Sensor, by the way) also goes on the blink every now and then. It's incredibly unnerving when your body doesn't send you a clear signal of what it wants you to do. And like you, I've definitely "rolled the dice" a few times and...well...LOST! Whenever I'm having one of those days, I always hear Clint Eastwood's voice in my head, the line from Dirty Harry: "You gotta ask yourself one question: Do you feel lucky?" Tim

·
Registered
8 Posts
I sure can relate to this topic!I must say I'm brand new to this forum and the posts I found in this topic inspired me to join.Quite honestly, some of them made me laugh so hard I was crying. Obviously the "D" hasn't killed your sense of humor!And yes...I too...have been in the same boat more times than I'd like to admit.Thanks for the inspiration. Sure needed it today!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I call this "sharting" it's a combination of S**TTING and FARTING. Not a fun thing to try and figure out. As far as going out to eat I order what I want and pick at it and get the rest put in a box to go so I can eat it in the safety of my own home.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.