Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you see a doctor regularly for IBS? I'll admit that I haven't been to a doctor about this in several years. When I went, I tried a couple of different meds and then was told that there wasn't anything else he could do. Have things changed?Does a certain diet really help? I haven't been able to narrow down foods that help or foods that hurt. What helps one day may trigger episodes the next.Does regular exercise help any? I have asked fr a treadmill for Christmas.Have any of you found any meds that help?> I do take calcium on a daily basis and immodium at times. However, the immodium doesn't seem to help. Just last night we had a Christmas party for our church. It was at a couple's house that is just 5 minutes from ours. I know everyone and am very comfortable with everyone. Just to be on the safe side, I took my calcium and some immodium. Well, as soon as I took my last bite of supper, I was in the bathroom. I was there four different times....barely making it each time....it seems I can't go out (socialize) at all!!!!!What works?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It really varies, a lot.There are some new medications in the last few years, and some doctors are better at finding something that works than others, so it may be worth trying a doctor again.Diet may or may not help. No one diet helps everyone. Some people do not have dietary triggers. There are lots of other things that may trigger your IBS.Some people find regular exericse helps, but others may have so much pain that exercising is difficulte.I've used Levid and Buspar, but Cog. Behav. Therapy did me the most good.Sometimes the anxiety of worrying that you will have an attack can bring one one. Also meals out tend to be different than our usual fare. Even in someone elses home it may be richer or fattier than usual food. Meals that are larger in size tend to be more problematic than small meals. So there could be a lot about a meal that is not which food is in it that may be problematic for some people.K.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Well, Soccermom, I have been without D since the end of 1999 with the flavonoid supplement I use. If nothing else helps, it can't hurt to try it.Mark

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi! I also take calcium every day and i also take Pamine. I only take the Pamine when I feel like I am going to need it..ie: going out to dinner. My doctor told me to take it every day but the side effects (dry mouth) were too much for me. As for diet, it varies for everyone. I can eat lactaid products just fine, yet others can not. I avoid all "heavy" foods, and stick to small meals.Good luck!

·
Registered
497 Posts
It is hard to find a calcium with no Magnesium in it. I got Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D to try but I noticed under other ingredients that magnesium stearate (vegetable source) is listed. Now I'm debating whether to take them at all.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
It is called Provex CV, also fruit based--grape, ginko, bilberry, etc. It is made to stop the oxidation of cholesterol and to strengthen the circulatory system. (It was also developed and is owned by a customer marketed company, so there is always a problem in convincing people to try it, because of that.) It doesn't work for everyone; but I just got an e-mail from someone who has been on it for the past month and reports 100% improvement. When it works, it really works.If you are going to spend money on a daily dose of Caltrate, Questran, or something else just to sop this up, then trying something that costs about the same and seems to stop the malfunction of the GI system seems prudent to me. If I had to do your job when my D was active, the anxiety would have killed me.You can PM me if you want to talk further about it.Mark

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm wondering if this one is minimal also because it isn't listed under the main things (calcium and vitamin D), it is listed under "other ingredients".I think the anti-spasmodics would be helpful but I'm hoping to get pregnant so I think I can't take anything like that in that case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.