Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything for me started when I was really young. I've always been a super picky eater and had horrible diets growing up. I can vaguely remember eating something and a couple of hours later be in the bathroom wishing I was dead instead or praying to god for forgiveness on whatever bad I did or thought. I can't remember exactly what age it started at but I want to say around 8-9 years old. I'm now 24 and the attacks come more frequent and severe now (I would say maybe 2-3 times a month). My mom and grandma also suffer from similar experiences but not the same as mine. I can go a week without going to the bathroom and sometimes I'll go every day or every other day or sometimes multiple times in a day. I seldom have regular BMs though, I'm either constipated or have diarrhea. None of that really bothers me though. My problem is the attacks I get when I'm about to have an episode. First I'll get EXCRUTIATING cramps....I swear it's worse than labor pains. The pain is so bad I immediately get weak, start to sweat like crazy and become extremely nauseous. This lasts for maybe 5-10 minutes and the entire time I'm so weak I can't push or anything because my body is solely concentrated on the cramps. This can go two ways, I will either throw up until I feel better or I'll faint and wake up when my body is over the "shock". After that passes the cramps are still as strong but it's almost as if my body is used to it now, though they still hurt like hell. Then my stomach starts to make really really loud grumbling and bubbling noises and after some moments I feel pressure to push to use the bathroom. Most times it will be a solid BM that's really hard to push out then straight diarrhea. These come in waves and it's almost like labor contractions; really strong cramps then bubbling then a feeling to push. As I start to feel a little better I start to get freezing cold. All my sweat dries up and I'm shivering on the toilet lol. This attack will last anywhere from 45 min to an hour and a half. After I'm finished I'm SO weak all I want to do is go to sleep and get warm as I'm usually still shaking from the cold I feel. I told my gastroenterologist this and I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy done and I came out clean. Nothing at all! He doesn't think it's IBS...this is definitely not normal though. I've also changed my diets multiple times from eating how I usually do to eating low fat super healthy to now eating organic and nothing I do seems to make a difference. Does anyone have similar episodes?

·
Registered
12 Posts
That sounds a lot like what I have. I get severe cramping that makes me dizzy and sweaty. It basically brings on a panic attack, and after being in the bathroom for an hour+, it's hard to get back to having a normal, productive day. Often these are out of the blue without having eaten anything irritating (I've stuck to a very restrictive diet for a long time). Luckily this doesn't happen super often, but I do go through bouts of it where I might have 2-3 episodes in a week (sometimes more than once a day), then not have one for several months.

I was just diagnosed with SIBO (methane-predominant, and very high). I'm really hoping getting that under control will eliminate these attacks, plus bloating and food intolerances. You should think about getting tested.. Your symptoms are so similar to mine. I'm trying the SCD diet right now, taking Atrantil (I don't know if that's helping yet or not), taking HCL, and will be starting antibiotics next week. Also, I've been doing some therapy to help with panic attacks. I think practicing relaxation techniques can be very helpful for the pain. Once you've had a few epic attacks, you really start to get tense and dread any and all abdominal pain, which can make the whole experience worse. Since working on my relaxation I think I've handled these episodes better.

Good luck and please let me know if you find any answers!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was just diagnosed with SIBO (methane-predominant, and very high). I'm really hoping getting that under control will eliminate these attacks, plus bloating and food intolerances.
Hello,
I heard about this on a Chris Kresser podcast. How do I get it done? I do not think my usual doc will do it?
What type of doc did you use?
Thanks!!!
Kelly

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello,
I heard about this on a Chris Kresser podcast. How do I get it done? I do not think my usual doc will do it?
What type of doc did you use?
Thanks!!!
Kelly
Hi Kelly,

I don't think most regular doctors or even GI doctors will do it. I had it done by a DO in a slightly alternative practice, and I know naturopaths who do it too. It's pretty widely known and tested for in the holistic/alternative health community. Ask around, or call a few practices to ask if they test for and treat SIBO.

I did a take-home test, which is called the Hydrogen Breath Test, or a Lactulose Breath Test. There are a couple labs that produce them, and it's always good to make sure you get one that tests for both hydrogen and methane--the two gasses that are produced by bacteria in the small intestines, as it can be negative for one but positive for the other. You have to fast, then drink a lactulose solution to feed the bacteria, then blow into provided test tubes. It's simple, and around $180 (but some insurance companies will cover it).

Here's a website with tons of info: http://www.siboinfo.com/

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts