Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,I wanted to tell you about my day today. I was scheduled to have a colonoscopy and beforehand I made it a point to tell both of the nurses that I wanted biopsies taken throughout my colon. The reason for this was 2 years ago when I had my first colonoscopy, it was the biopsies taken that showed inflammation and I wanted to see if the situation was still the same or worse. What happened....well you guessed it, not only did my gastro not take biopsies during the procedure, but he only viewed 60 centimetres of my colon...sounds like a 'sigmoidoscopy' to me! When I asked him why this was done, his comment to me was "well everything looked alright in the first 60 cm's so I didn't think biopsies were necessary and you were in a lot of pain and your colon was kinky- so I decided not to go any further". Could it be that I was in pain because they didn't properly sedate me?! I was not even remotely dopey following the procedure, when I was a head case for a few hours after my first one several years ago. Microscopic colitis is just that...it can only be seen through a microscope!! I was so frustrated at him dismissing my concerns about his lack of thoroughness that I cried my eyes out in the recovery room. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what my next move should be? When I explained what happened to the nurses, they were not entirely surprised and suggested the name of a much better gastro doctor that works at the same hospital. The nurses also suggested getting a virtual colonoscopy, if the kinkiness of my colon makes it too difficult to get the colonscopy tube around it fully, but they still felt the regular colonscopy was more accurate. Does anyone know anything about the virtual vs. regular colonscopy? Do you think I should go over this doctor's head and ask to see the doctor the nurses recommended? I am so frustrated, yet tired of crying. I waited 2 months for this appointment and have been in pain all that time. I find it incredibly frustrating even just trying to eliminate possibilities for my tummy problems. It seems if you don't have visible cancer, no one takes you seriously! thanks for any and all replies....

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Yes, go over the doctors head and go to the one the nurses told you about. If the nurses didn't seem surprised by this doctors actions, then that probably means he's done this type of thing before. I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that!Jennifer

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Yes, go over the doctors head and go to the one the nurses told you about. If the nurses didn't seem surprised by this doctors actions, then that probably means he's done this type of thing before. I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that!Jennifer

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
How horrible. I can believe all of this, given my experiences with GIs. I bet he didn't do it because it was too challenging since your colon is kinky, so he just gave up. I would be so incredibly FURIOUS! All of your concerns are valid. Of course, there should have been a biopsy and analysis under a microscope.I would find another GI. One year I had 2 endoscopies and I was fine. It might be worth your while to have it done again, but the correct way. So sorry you had to go through this.Stacey

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
How horrible. I can believe all of this, given my experiences with GIs. I bet he didn't do it because it was too challenging since your colon is kinky, so he just gave up. I would be so incredibly FURIOUS! All of your concerns are valid. Of course, there should have been a biopsy and analysis under a microscope.I would find another GI. One year I had 2 endoscopies and I was fine. It might be worth your while to have it done again, but the correct way. So sorry you had to go through this.Stacey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts